The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Those three were special but it seems so long ago that I will need to look back through my earlier musings. The four at Forfar in the 2nd half would be a start, or how about Paull McKay at Dumbarton or last minute equaliser versus Stranraer? So much choice.

I do agree there have been a few moments to savour.  Even big nat off the bench to score late against forfar at home. Eckersly scored a peach against clyde at Hamilton in the league cup. 

Let's be honest though an overhead kick is going to win just for how pleasing it is to see.  

Special mention too for the epic penalty shoot out against queens park in the league cup.  

Gallagher's overhead kick v Clyde definitely the best technique wise IMO but Carrick's against Stranraer is just lovely too. Gallagher's last minute winner v Falkirk was definitely the moment of the season though. The sheer elation of the fans and what it meant to us. First time in years that you felt we might actually go on and do something. 

Crighton and MacDonald possibly unlucky that their efforts at Cliftonhill weren't included. 

Never spotted the voting opportunity but looking back through the recent East fife home game programme list.  of games and scorers,  I would say that Roberts counter attack goal at Cliftonhill was one of the best. The clever free kick leading to Eckersley's goal was top notch. Interesting to note that Paul McKay scored some crucial goals but Gallagher would well deserve top spot for the Clyde overhead goal. I had also forgotten how good Sean Crighton's "hat trick" was that day. The much maligned ally Roy scored a belter in the 4-0 thumping of EF but he never really turned up as a goal scorer. 

18 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The much maligned ally Roy scored a belter in the 4-0 thumping of EF but he never really turned up as a goal scorer. 

I get the feeling it's all about confidence with Ally Roy. He started off well enough putting in some decent performances and scoring a few goals. Then he missed the penatly up at Montrose and his season just seem to fall apart apart.

6 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

I get the feeling it's all about confidence with Ally Roy. He started off well enough putting in some decent performances and scoring a few goals. Then he missed the penatly up at Montrose and his season just seem to fall apart apart.

I agree about the Montrose miss and maybe the groans when he did come on as a sub. in some games were a wee bit due to our exasperated hopes. Where he (or many of the team) will be when we return , is hard to predict.

56 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree about the Montrose miss and maybe the groans when he did come on as a sub. in some games were a wee bit due to our exasperated hopes. Where he (or many of the team) will be when we return , is hard to predict.

Is he not out of contract in the summer?.  I don't see him being offered a new deal if he is. 

46 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

There’s a good few players out of contract so will be interesting to see who returns if any for next season..

If the club wanted to extend certain players contracts, would they quality for the furlough scheme at the end of there contract or would it  be classed as classed as rehiring,  Not sure but the whole idea of furlough is to preserve jobs....    I am sure the club are exploring all options at the moment...

If the club wanted to extend certain players contracts, would they quality for the furlough scheme at the end of there contract or would it  be classed as classed as rehiring,  Not sure but the whole idea of furlough is to preserve jobs....    I am sure the club are exploring all options at the moment...

They can extend the contract of any player currently signed to the club and continue to furlough them.

I can’t see any contracts being extended though as there is no way of knowing when football will start back again, and the furlough scheme is likely to be removed before then. This will mean the club has to go back to paying wages with no money coming in.

I would be very surprised if any of the currently out of contract players were offered a renewal or a new deal. Stuart Millar alluded to as such in his podcast interview saying 'most of them probably won't play for us again'. 

Whether or not any of them will be offered a new deal whenever football resumes I imagine will be dependent on: what we can afford on a vastly reduced budget (though this will be the same for all teams), what league we are playing in and who was in the manager's plans before the current pandemic. 

Having the 9 players signed up gives us a good base to work from whenever football recommences. If/when the government furlough scheme ends though it could also be a costly bit of business for the club. I'm not sure if any of the young/reserve players are signed up beyond the end of this season as well. 

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I would be very surprised if any of the currently out of contract players were offered a renewal or a new deal. Stuart Millar alluded to as such in his podcast interview saying 'most of them probably won't play for us again'. 

Whether or not any of them will be offered a new deal whenever football resumes I imagine will be dependent on: what we can afford on a vastly reduced budget (though this will be the same for all teams), what league we are playing in and who was in the manager's plans before the current pandemic. 

Having the 9 players signed up gives us a good base to work from whenever football recommences. If/when the government furlough scheme ends though it could also be a costly bit of business for the club. I'm not sure if any of the young/reserve players are signed up beyond the end of this season as well. 

We only have 9 of them signed up with probably about 7 starters so ifs going to be a hell of a job recruiting so many faces, I feel like it’ll be the easy option to resign some of last seasons players

The 7 we have are a decent start in my opinion. All ifs buts and maybes at the moment but at least we have a start when the time comes. None of this seasons squad have looked totally out of place and if any more were to stay I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Promising the reserves have had a strong season wonder what the score is if any of them are signed up beyond the summer

There's no way the club can extend anyone's contract, as someone mentioned there is going to be a period of time when furloughing ends and we have to pay players with no income. It's a shame, but there is no option really. Maybe once things start back up again some could return as  no other club are going to be recruiting either so they are likely to still be free agents.

Having players signed is going to be a challenge financially, however if we get through it then hopefully it will provide some continuity that other clubs might not have when we start up again.

Like has been said already, there's no way we or any of the other clubs will extend anyone's contract at the moment. There's a chance we'll sign a few of the same players back when things are closer to starting back up but even then we've signed up much of our first team anyway so there's only two or three extra that we might have kept that we might now lose. Whichever clubs are in the most financially stable position when things look like starting back up will have a massive advantage this coming season. There will be an unprecedented selection of out of contract players and it might be the case that one club is able to offer the best ones contracts before other clubs are able to offer an alternative