Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

It's a shambles. Airdrie as a club lurch from one disaster to the next. Just when the furore of the Trust argument had settled down somewhat, the inexplicable vote to shoot our own cock and balls off. The club come up with the well publicised - and well received - begging bowl in the form of Club 1924 then castrate our league campaign without a by your leave, especially to the hundreds of season ticket holders who've saw their value for money purchase go up in smoke.

From my understanding of the other thread on the matter - we're due an outstanding £4k or so - why on earth would we vote to lose any chance of promotion for such a paltry (in the scheme of things) sum?

This is actually why we needed a Trust to hold the board to account rather than the odd cabal we have at the moment.

The club have done everything they can to get us in a position to be promoted and finally get us out of this league. In a playing sense we had nothing to lose by the season playing out - wouldn't have dropped below 5th and could have gone up. Given that, does it not make you think the club must have been absolutely certain there was no alternative here? Why else would they give that up given the work they have put into it?

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

25 minutes ago, Diamond120593 said:

Can’t help but think we’ll end up one of the biggest losers here . Denied a chance to get promotion when in a strong position as any to do so. The possibility of the top two going up under reconstruction leaving us behind or no reconstruction leaving us to go again against thistle and raith with far superior budgets. The null and void option doesn’t seem as bad as originally thought

What difference would null and void make? Both result in us staying in League One.

And as has been mentioned, there is the slight issue of having to pay back our entire season's prize money.

Their must be more to all this.   Why would dundee change their vote if the only benefit they get is a few friendlys that their fans would ultimately have to stump up ticket money for?  No way they vote Dundee utd champions if doesnt benefit themselves in some way.   I think they have been promised a 16 team league.  

The SPFL are not in a position to promise a 16 team league. It would have to be voted on by the Premiership clubs and and the chances of it being approved are slim to none.

Interesting to read in the statement that while the club reluctantly accept  the ending of the season they do not accept Raith Rovers as champions.

3 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

The SPFL are not in a position to promise a 16 team league. It would have to be voted on by the Premiership clubs and and the chances of it being approved are slim to none.

If it was  3 leagues  of 14 would that be enough to take Dundee up or does it have to be a 16 team top league ?

31 minutes ago, Nipper said:

If it was  3 leagues  of 14 would that be enough to take Dundee up or does it have to be a 16 team top league ?

Dundee were 3rd so it would depend if Hearts go down. If not then the two up would be Dundee Utd and Inverness. 

What difference would null and void make? Both result in us staying in League One.
And as has been mentioned, there is the slight issue of having to pay back our entire season's prize money.

In terms of competition if we are serious about getting out the league sooner rather than later. I Would fancy our chances more with the teams as they are now than potentially having thistle Falkirk and cove in the league who will likely challenge also. The prize money as rightly mentioned is the deal breaker

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

Goes back to what I said though.  Their must be more to this than we are being told.   Dundee wouldn't agree to promote Dundee utd without some sort of benefit to themselves.   Unless they have been told a reconstruction proposal from them would be considered first. To promote the top four championship teams and no relegation would please them. Partick will stay in the championship so wont complain too hard.Hearts and Hamilton chairmen are running the debate so I personally think that's what they will push for and wont really care about the rest of the clubs. 

10 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

Null and void is apparently not even an option as sponsors and TV companies would be legally entitled to claim back money from the league if its not completed. The same money that the SPFL hands out as prize money at the end of the season so no sponsor or TV money would mean no prize money and many teams would end up going to the wall.

That's for the courts. I'd imagine like most contracts of this nature there would be some form of force majeure clause. I'm sure the league could argue that sponsors have had a significant advertising window and any monies paid back would be minimal - that's even if the sponsors chose to go to court on it...same with the TV.

The 14/10/10/10 option was mentioned a week or so ago - and it makes us one of the biggest losers in the whole set up, ironically along with Dundee. I can't see that happening to be honest - you've got at assume Dundee have been promised more.

Either way, it should have been voided. You don't call the result of an abandoned game. Reconstruction should only be carefully considered and be a long term move to even the monetary gap in the game. We're rushing this through because the SPFL have made a total balls up of the situation. 

From a selfish perspective, we'd have probably been in a sounder financial position than Falkirk or Raith next year had it been nullified, I hear both are in deep do-doo.

The key thing Dundee gains from a 14 top flight is an easier run at promotion. No team down and best 2 from this season up will leave them favourites.

6 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

The key thing Dundee gains from a 14 top flight is an easier run at promotion. No team down and best 2 from this season up will leave them favourites.

That's a hell of a gamble from a position of power. 

19 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Does that not apply equally to Airdrie? 

12 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Good podcast here with Stuart Millar setting out our position on all this. Worth a listen whether you agree or not.

https://www.podbean.com/media/player/k3mrf-89aba38-dir?vjs=1

Good listen, one of the better podcasts,   things are going to be tough for all clubs, as SM stated the club tried to be proactive and sign up the better players for next year, which we all agreed with, which very few other clubs have done,  who are the 9 players signed for next season,  I can only find word on 8 on the website.

6 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Good listen, one of the better podcasts,   things are going to be tough for all clubs, as SM stated the club tried to be proactive and sign up the better players for next year, which we all agreed with, which very few other clubs have done,  who are the 9 players signed for next season,  I can only find word on 8 on the website.

Carrick, Pyott, Fordyce, McCann, Gallagher, MacDonald, Thomson, Crighton, Hutton.

18 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

It's a shambles. Airdrie as a club lurch from one disaster to the next. Just when the furore of the Trust argument had settled down somewhat, the inexplicable vote to shoot our own cock and balls off. The club come up with the well publicised - and well received - begging bowl in the form of Club 1924 then castrate our league campaign without a by your leave, especially to the hundreds of season ticket holders who've saw their value for money purchase go up in smoke.

From my understanding of the other thread on the matter - we're due an outstanding £4k or so - why on earth would we vote to lose any chance of promotion for such a paltry (in the scheme of things) sum?

This is actually why we needed a Trust to hold the board to account rather than the odd cabal we have at the moment.

You really do talk a load of rubbish Mark.

Tell David Gallacher I was asking for him though. 

5 hours ago, el Gringo said:

Carrick, Pyott, Fordyce, McCann, Gallagher, MacDonald, Thomson, Crighton, Hutton.

Is that Scott Gallagher or Callum?

Does that not apply equally to Airdrie? 

If Falkirk go up then that will help yes. As things stand we’ll have them and Thistle in the league so likely as tough if not tougher than this year.
What’s your point though? I answered why Dundee may feel League reconstruction is of benefit to them.

You really do talk a load of rubbish Mark.
Tell David Gallacher I was asking for him though. 

Aye, nae bother. Top input from you as ever!

Who’s David Gallacher BTW?