Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Interesting interview with former player and coach Kenny Brannigan. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51552821 

Seems to have gone through a rough patch but glad he's made it to the other side. 

It was indeed a good read. I think Kenny was one of the four red cards for Stranraer at Broadwood in late 1994 when having scored first, they were eventually beaten 8-1? He was a tough character of the old school. Glad to see he has recovered.

30 years ago today since that clash in Perth in the 89-90 season

Not the result your fans would have wanted but what a great game. That Airdrie team were superb.

Saints have put the BBC highlights online today . (Link on club twitter)

One question  both teams could ask are where are all the fans eho packed out McDiarmid that day. Airdrie had all the north stand and 1/3 of the main stand .

At times it was Saints v John Martin .

6 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

New club membership scheme launched by the club.

https://www.airdriefc.com/club1924

A great way to support the club financially especially over the next few months whilst getting a little something back in return.

Will certainly do it but wondering which head and shoulders photo shows my best looks!

15 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Will certainly do it but wondering which head and shoulders photo shows my best looks!

Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo

On 31/03/2020 at 23:44, realmadrid said:

30 years ago today since that clash in Perth in the 89-90 season

Not the result your fans would have wanted but what a great game. That Airdrie team were superb.

Saints have put the BBC highlights online today . (Link on club twitter)

One question  both teams could ask are where are all the fans eho packed out McDiarmid that day. Airdrie had all the north stand and 1/3 of the main stand .

At times it was Saints v John Martin .

I see St Johnstone have put up a 30 minute documentary about the game on their website. That's my football fix for the weekend sorted. https://tv.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/tv/video/vod/666 

It was before my time but it's always a game that's been talked of and remembered fondly despite the result. I suppose due to the sense of occasion, the game itself, John Martin's performance and Stevie Gray's goal. 10,000 at a St Johnstone v Airdrie game would be incomprehensible in the top flight these days let alone the second tier. 

I think the contrasting fortunes of both clubs since then is a microcosm on how to manage a stadium move and how to run a football club. 

We'll hopefully see you soon though (after a double promotion). 

23 hours ago, DiamondJack85 said:

New club membership scheme launched by the club.

https://www.airdriefc.com/club1924

A great way to support the club financially especially over the next few months whilst getting a little something back in return.

Great idea. Will be signing up ASAP. Excellent way to support the club in this difficult time and decent perks too. 

11 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Liked Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Shampoo

Liked this quick comment but a bottle of that probably lasts me a season, since I have been follically  challenged for many a year. Hopefully submitted the form today if my internet skills are successful. Take care

Interesting premise for an interview though doesn't tell us anything we don't already know unfortunately. A genuine and honest deep-dive interview with McBride (and others) about this whole time period would be fascinating though. How was it working under Wotherspoon, Iain King and EWB? How did they sell the club to you? Did you ever at any point think the '3-year plan' was going to be successful? What was training at Ravenscraig like? What were the 'politics' of the regime? Why is/was Airdrie one of the 'hardest clubs to go into'? Did Dalziel actually have any day-to-day involvement at the club (at least before 2017/18)? Was his 'football review' genuine or was it just it a stitch up to get his pal in the door the whole time? And maybe hear more about a whole parade of characters (chancers) like Alan Love, Seref Zengin, Colin Hamilton, Wotherspoon (and his obsession with reading P&B and travelling on the supporters' bus), Hugo Faria, Willie Aitchison and the dying days of the Ballantyne regime. Definitely some podcast and/or book worthy content in here 👀

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/ex-airdrie-boss-opens-up-21785312?fbclid=IwAR1gqx9HFFhBgZHnoKI2sxPGZLyiy3CTWR7Lf8M7W4vafbi60xLohuMv660 

Should have been pumping Falkirk on their own patch (again) on national television this evening :( 

Should have been pumping Falkirk on their own patch (again) on national television this evening  

Would’ve been 3-1 Airdrie Andy Ryan with 2 and Carrick with one

Miss the football on a Saturday

On 03/04/2020 at 15:54, airdrieman said:

Interesting premise for an interview though doesn't tell us anything we don't already know unfortunately. A genuine and honest deep-dive interview with McBride (and others) about this whole time period would be fascinating though. How was it working under Wotherspoon, Iain King and EWB? How did they sell the club to you? Did you ever at any point think the '3-year plan' was going to be successful? What was training at Ravenscraig like? What were the 'politics' of the regime? Why is/was Airdrie one of the 'hardest clubs to go into'? Did Dalziel actually have any day-to-day involvement at the club (at least before 2017/18)? Was his 'football review' genuine or was it just it a stitch up to get his pal in the door the whole time? And maybe hear more about a whole parade of characters (chancers) like Alan Love, Seref Zengin, Colin Hamilton, Wotherspoon (and his obsession with reading P&B and travelling on the supporters' bus), Hugo Faria, Willie Aitchison and the dying days of the Ballantyne regime. Definitely some podcast and/or book worthy content in here 👀

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/ex-airdrie-boss-opens-up-21785312?fbclid=IwAR1gqx9HFFhBgZHnoKI2sxPGZLyiy3CTWR7Lf8M7W4vafbi60xLohuMv660 

Would be interesting.

if memory serves me right McBride walked off training after Dalziel came on with a whistle. Think GD coming on pitch was overstepping the mark legally.

To think Dalziel was actually wanting to help pick side while he sat in Radio Clyde studio. Absolute shambles. 
What was TW thinking at that time. Made him look totally clueless.

TW was totally clueless. It was a game to him. When he got bored he fucked off!

1 hour ago, Yoda8 said:

Would be interesting.

if memory serves me right McBride walked off training after Dalziel came on with a whistle. Think GD coming on pitch was overstepping the mark legally.

To think Dalziel was actually wanting to help pick side while he sat in Radio Clyde studio. Absolute shambles. 
What was TW thinking at that time. Made him look totally clueless.

Lucky that McBride had his second job to fall back on, selling fags out the back of a transit at the barras..

Thought Wilson was bad till we got Findus,Guy couldn’t find a decent player if it came up and slapped him in the face,a midfield that consisted of Conroy a defence with Robertson page O’Neil and McDonald with Duffy and Macintosh as your strikers gives me shudders typing about it

Thought Wilson was bad till we got Findus,Guy couldn’t find a decent player if it came up and slapped him in the face,a midfield that consisted of Conroy a defence with Robertson page O’Neil and McDonald with Duffy and Macintosh as your strikers gives me shudders typing about it

Not really a surprise that almost every player released at the end of last season dropped down to League Two or Stranraer who are arguably a League Two team in League One.

Pretty bored here and kind of stole from an other thread. Assuming most of us look at Motherwell as our derby and rivals, who ranks next? For me its Thistle. Plenty history and needle there. I look forward to playing the Rovers but don't dislike them and have about the same feelings towards Hamilton as forfar or stranraer. Zero. 

42 minutes ago, The clean living guy said:

Pretty bored here and kind of stole from an other thread. Assuming most of us look at Motherwell as our derby and rivals, who ranks next? For me its Thistle. Plenty history and needle there. I look forward to playing the Rovers but don't dislike them and have about the same feelings towards Hamilton as forfar or stranraer. Zero. 

Fair point .. I hate every other team except Hearts because the have a good song. ... old days Falkirk Thistle were good out with Motherwell. ♦️