Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Latest podcast is up. Any beer fanciers please consider the offer Beer52 have given us which sees a fiver donated to the ladies team if you subscribe. First 8 beers for £4.95 postage only and you can cancel at any time.

28 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Well that was pish. Had enough of the ball to potentially do some damage but we once again wasted the game on endless long punts up the park to a defence that was able to mop it up with ease. The most frustrating thing is when we actually kept the ball on the deck, we looked threatening at times and the likes of McCann, MacDonald, Roberts, Carrick and Ryan were able to link up well but it was so sparing. No shots on target in any game in this league is an embarrassment. 

Roberts isn't a world-beater, and maybe myself and others are guilty of over-egging him, but he's the only midfielder capable of passing a ball or driving forward with the ball. Really not sure why he's been made a scapegoat by Murray - there's worse players who get practically a full 90 minutes every week. 

Raith aren't outstanding and they were there for the taking (had we played well). But they were organised, solid and the players were comfortable in their positions and knew exactly what they were supposed to do in the system they were playing. Essentially, they were the exact opposite of us and we looked utterly desperate for the whole second half. Not sure what Murray was playing at with the subs at half-time but I knew the game was lost when he took off Roberts and brought on fucking Ally Roy and Nat Wedderburn.  Wedderburn did have a better game than Paul McKay but he's not going to win you a game - and when you're chasing the game that should be the point. Sure, he can pass to a team-mate within 10 yards of him but playing sideways isn't any better than the aimless long punts up the park. Not to mention he's utterly chronic too. As for Ally Roy - what even is the point? He comes on every week and does nothing - he doesn't even put himself about - but yet he's the first player off the bench every game. Even ahead of Calum Gallagher yesterday. You know, our top goal-scorer Calum Gallagher. And say what you want about Roberts, and his 'fitness', but I'd guarantee he'd have contributed more in that second-half than Ally Roy did. The new boy seems like a desperate 'just sign anybody' signing if he can't get in ahead of that rubbish but maybe that's harsh. By the time Gallagher came on it was way too late. And that's when it was real desperate stuff with no game plan whatsoever except stick as many people upfront as possible and hope something comes off. It just stank of not having a clue how to get anything out of Raith. I like Leon and Kyle, and their delivery can usually be decent, but our set-pieces were dreadful yesterday. Don't think one of them fell to an Airdrie player once. 

I was happy to give Gallacher a shot in goals but don't think he's any better than Hutton. Certainly wasn't any more commanding of his box or more willing to come out for crosses. Slow distribution and he should have done better at the goal (would Hutton have saved it?). 

I still think we'll win enough points, and other teams will drop enough points for us to make the play-offs. But the title is definitely gone. That being said, it's a must win game next week. The next three games are all winnable (Dumbarton, Clyde and Peterhead) and we need to be looking to get as many points as possible from them (9/9 TBH). After that it's Montrose which could be a huge game. Need to win next week and put another run of results together. 

You make a very good point on Raith we have people saying how good they were and we should be grateful for what we have got so far. Your point they are organised each player knows their position and they have a game plan. Other than EF away no one has gubbed us it just seems the teams around us  are better organised. And I agree with your point on how we do have some players who can link up. Think we won one clear headed chance from long balls or corners. Frustration comes from doing so we to get where we are then all the changes that we dont know what's going to happen nex. Including the Hearts game that's 1 goal in 4 games.

Well that was pish. Had enough of the ball to potentially do some damage but we once again wasted the game on endless long punts up the park to a defence that was able to mop it up with ease. The most frustrating thing is when we actually kept the ball on the deck, we looked threatening at times and the likes of McCann, MacDonald, Roberts, Carrick and Ryan were able to link up well but it was so sparing. No shots on target in any game in this league is an embarrassment. 
Roberts isn't a world-beater, and maybe myself and others are guilty of over-egging him, but he's the only midfielder capable of passing a ball or driving forward with the ball. Really not sure why he's been made a scapegoat by Murray - there's worse players who get practically a full 90 minutes every week. 
Raith aren't outstanding and they were there for the taking (had we played well). But they were organised, solid and the players were comfortable in their positions and knew exactly what they were supposed to do in the system they were playing. Essentially, they were the exact opposite of us and we looked utterly desperate for the whole second half. Not sure what Murray was playing at with the subs at half-time but I knew the game was lost when he took off Roberts and brought on fucking Ally Roy and Nat Wedderburn.  Wedderburn did have a better game than Paul McKay but he's not going to win you a game - and when you're chasing the game that should be the point. Sure, he can pass to a team-mate within 10 yards of him but playing sideways isn't any better than the aimless long punts up the park. Not to mention he's utterly chronic too. As for Ally Roy - what even is the point? He comes on every week and does nothing - he doesn't even put himself about - but yet he's the first player off the bench every game. Even ahead of Calum Gallagher yesterday. You know, our top goal-scorer Calum Gallagher. And say what you want about Roberts, and his 'fitness', but I'd guarantee he'd have contributed more in that second-half than Ally Roy did. The new boy seems like a desperate 'just sign anybody' signing if he can't get in ahead of that rubbish but maybe that's harsh. By the time Gallagher came on it was way too late. And that's when it was real desperate stuff with no game plan whatsoever except stick as many people upfront as possible and hope something comes off. It just stank of not having a clue how to get anything out of Raith. I like Leon and Kyle, and their delivery can usually be decent, but our set-pieces were dreadful yesterday. Don't think one of them fell to an Airdrie player once. 
I was happy to give Gallacher a shot in goals but don't think he's any better than Hutton. Certainly wasn't any more commanding of his box or more willing to come out for crosses. Slow distribution and he should have done better at the goal (would Hutton have saved it?). 
I still think we'll win enough points, and other teams will drop enough points for us to make the play-offs. But the title is definitely gone. That being said, it's a must win game next week. The next three games are all winnable (Dumbarton, Clyde and Peterhead) and we need to be looking to get as many points as possible from them (9/9 TBH). After that it's Montrose which could be a huge game. Need to win next week and put another run of results together. 

Roberts ain’t great but he’s the only player we’ve got that can drive out and link up with the strikers take him off and we fall to bits

Must admit I thought Fordyce and Crighton were ran ragged by McLean, like two buses turning!

think they do well against big physical strikers but struggle with the smaller more mobile type!

17 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Must admit I thought Fordyce and Crighton were ran ragged by McLean, like two buses turning!

think they do well against big physical strikers but struggle with the smaller more mobile type!

When you look at the size of our squad the number of young players reserve team in a final yet none apparently ready to break into the first team w hile our rivals have gone for less players and more experienced players.

We're on a bad run of form at the moment. We need to arrest this slide pronto as the play-off's are not guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

When you look at the size of our squad the number of young players reserve team in a final yet none apparently ready to break into the first team w hile our rivals have gone for less players and more experienced players.

Reserve team are pish mate 😂

Hopefully we get a win next week especially with Dumbarton not doing great that will give us some breathing space if we get the win next week

Same thing happened to them against Clyde with the sex pest

6 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

You make a very good point on Raith we have people saying how good they were and we should be grateful for what we have got so far. Your point they are organised each player knows their position and they have a game plan. Other than EF away no one has gubbed us it just seems the teams around us  are better organised. And I agree with your point on how we do have some players who can link up. Think we won one clear headed chance from long balls or corners..

I suspect the highball routine was put in place after viewing the Montrose result last week. We were dreadful against high balls into the box, which is where all three of our conceded goals came from. The difference this week was Thomson looked comfortable in the net where Munro was woeful with the high balls.

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I suspect the highball routine was put in place after viewing the Montrose result last week. We were dreadful against high balls into the box, which is where all three of our conceded goals came from. The difference this week was Thomson looked comfortable in the net where Munro was woeful with the high balls.

To be honest it's been like this since our manager changed things away to clyde. We had a good run played some decent football till we lost 1 0 at your place. We dont have any big forwards that you could justify this game plan you could see that with the fact we had one clear header at goal from all the corners and punts from 40 yards. 

19 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Same thing happened to them against Clyde with the sex pest

Aye ,not bad in the air but on the deck not so good ,would not bet to much on us next week ,most weeks we lose a cheap goal  ,is it because we are to slow to react looks like it every week , maybe no the keepers that need a change , mind you we have had a hard slog we have to play every sat ,must be hell for the players ,what a load of crap ,

We all have opinions we had more pressure in the first half than 2nd while Raith maybe a better side they are hardly world beaters as for big Natt what exactly did he do certainly never created anything 

The Rovers midfield totally bossed it, as for big Nat he’s finished was rotten with us last season

Aye ,not bad in the air but on the deck not so good ,would not bet to much on us next week ,most weeks we lose a cheap goal  ,is it because we are to slow to react looks like it every week , maybe no the keepers that need a change , mind you we have had a hard slog we have to play every sat ,must be hell for the players ,what a load of crap ,

Big Sean spends more time on that hair than actually defending,Defended him at the start of the season but the last 6-7 weeks he’s been

Anyone who thinks our defence are the issue either doesn't watch us play and/or can't look at the basic stats. We have the 2nd best defensive record in the league, but by far the worst goals for record out of the top 5. Yes they struggle against quicker or better players like MacLean and Goodwillie, that's because they are both better than League 1 but for varying reasons are at a lower level. And any centre back at this level struggles with pace, that's why they are playing at this level. The centre back pairing is as good as we will get at this level, McCann has done really well and McDonald has been okay. If we assume that the full-backs continue to improve with experience I'd be very happy with that back 4 next season. Both goalies are fine, could maybe take a risk and try and get better for next season but just as much chance of us getting someone who is worse.

Not saying the defence is perfect or immune from criticism by any means. But the problem for all to see is the personnel and system from midfield to front. I don't think focusing criticism on a defence that doesn't really warrant it serves any purpose.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Team should be:(and never changes unless injury or suspension!!!)

Hutton

McDonald Crighton Fordyce Mcann

Millar
McKay/Hawkshaw/Murray
Kurtis Roberts

Smith Ryan/Gall. Carrick

1. Tell your two wide Forwards to pull onto the touch line and create some width for runners from the midfield or Full backs so then can under lap

2.If the the 3 forwards play Narrow,Push your full backs up and create some width

3.Play up the channels or through midfield and don’t constantly bypass the midfield

4.Dont Make subs for subs sake think about the pros and cons of a sub,don’t just go “f**k it I’ll throw him on see what happens”

5.Assess teams see what their weaknesses are and play to them,if a team like to high press knock balls in behind if a team plays deep press them high etc

I know it sounds like football manger is the basics if he’s wearing the same jersey as you pass it to him and move it’s not hard f**k sake

Think you guys are being a bit hard on your team

Lot of football to be played yet and expect you to be there and there abouts come the end of the season.Minimum play off spot