The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Are we expecting Andy Ryan to start on Saturday, then? Either as a straight swap for Gal or as part of a formation shift to deal with a Stranraer side who will be set to counter on us? 

You would think he has to start ,we would have given anything to sign Ryan now we are wondering if he is going to start , Gallagher has done well for us but is not a striker like Ryan ,

29 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

You would think he has to start ,we would have given anything to sign Ryan now we are wondering if he is going to start , Gallagher has done well for us but is not a striker like Ryan ,

I think we all expect him to be starting eventually, but at the same time his minutes at Dunfermline were limited so there will be a question mark about match sharpness and also Gal scored twice in the last league game so dropping him would be quite the call. It's a when, not an if; i'm wondering if the when is now or not. 

Not convinced it would be sensible to start with them both as you'd miss the work rate and goal threat of Carrick and/or the workrate and pace of Smith, but it might be worth a try. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I think we all expect him to be starting eventually, but at the same time his minutes at Dunfermline were limited so there will be a question mark about match sharpness and also Gal scored twice in the last league game so dropping him would be quite the call. It's a when, not an if; i'm wondering if the when is now or not. 

Not convinced it would be sensible to start with them both as you'd miss the work rate and goal threat of Carrick and/or the workrate and pace of Smith, but it might be worth a try. 

We are playing at home let’s play both Gal and Ryan ,and if I remember right Ryan done his fair share of work as well as scoring ,it’s good having a good work rate but need a end product ,we have created a lot of chances that have went begging ,they won’t with Andy Ryan ,

11 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

We are playing at home let’s play both Gal and Ryan ,and if I remember right Ryan done his fair share of work as well as scoring ,it’s good having a good work rate but need a end product ,we have created a lot of chances that have went begging ,they won’t with Andy Ryan ,

Aye you're definitely right there, Ryan puts a shift in as well, I suppose the question would be who you drop from the starting 11 to accommodate both he and Gal. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Aye you're definitely right there, Ryan puts a shift in as well, I suppose the question would be who you drop from the starting 11 to accommodate both he and Gal. 

Suppose it would be 2 changes to last weeks starting line up if Roberts comes back in ,on footballing ability Roberts should be in , and if there is another underlying issue then get it sorted ,to good a player to leave out ,

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Suppose it would be 2 changes to last weeks starting line up if Roberts comes back in ,on footballing ability Roberts should be in , and if there is another underlying issue then get it sorted ,to good a player to leave out ,

Spot on Robert's makes a big difference we are stronger with him in the team. Along with a back 4.

4 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Personally I would start Ryan ahead of Roberts,   Ryan hasn't been signed to sit on the bench,  front two of seagal and Ryan with Carrick and Smith out wide........Stranraer are rock bottom and if we have any inclination of going for the title, these sides need to be  put to the sword and that's means scoring goals.

Like someone before said, I reckon this game will shape the rest of the season. It will tell us a lot about the mentality of the players to how they react from Saturdays disappointment.
If they come out with a point to prove and go for the jugular early, then I reckon we'll push Falkirk and Raith to April. Fold like a cheap suit and it"ll be between us, Montrose and East Fife for that 3rd and 4th spot IMO.
FWIW if he played 442 with Carrick and Smith wide, Roberts and Millar central and gal and Ryan up front I wouldn't be against it, as when we had the ball the 2 fullbacks would push up meaning Smith and Carrick pushed up as well effectively going 4 in attack, but I don't get paid to make these decisions so we'll leave it to Murray and see.

2 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Like someone before said, I reckon this game will shape the rest of the season. It will tell us a lot about the mentality of the players to how they react from Saturdays disappointment.
If they come out with a point to prove and go for the jugular early, then I reckon we'll push Falkirk and Raith to April. Fold like a cheap suit and it"ll be between us, Montrose and East Fife for that 3rd and 4th spot IMO.

FWIW if he played 442 with Carrick and Smith wide, Roberts and Millar central and gal and Ryan up front I wouldn't be against it, as when we had the ball the 2 fullbacks would push up meaning Smith and Carrick pushed up as well effectively going 4 in attack, but I don't get paid to make these decisions so we'll leave it to Murray and see.

Absolutely agree with that.

Stranraer's a massive game for you. Realistically you have to beat them, given their league position.

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Airdrie knock back Forfar approach for Carrick ,

Aye? Surprising development (the attempt, not the knock-back). Not seeing it reported anywhere.

Good, bit daft to try and poach him from us you would think. Certainly hope there is no interest from our end in anything of that sort. Carrick has had a great season thus far, not to mention 12 goals.