The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

12 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Poor poor goals to concede didn’t think the back 3 dominated towards the end, felt like hearts suffocated us in possession! Thought smith done well and Millar tatted all day, Kerr done okay for being his first game in god knows how long in a new position, the league is our main priority and today was a good day out for the fans and a bit of a pay day for the club.

Big push now and we can win this league!!

Next week will be a test ,we need 3points to set us up for rovers game ,thought Stranraer looked a bit more organised than us against a better side than we played ,Andy  Ryan and Gallagher  will start I hope ,and Roberts who we missed yesterday ,to be left on bench and making the subs we made ,manager got it wrong as result points out ,yes it’s the league that is our priority ,but to be beaten by a poor Hearts team 5-0 ,would suggest we need a good few new players to see us even gain promotion ,corners and late goals have been a problem from day one and never been addressed,

It wasn't a "mauling".  Poor but not a "mauling" - but as you weren't at the game and just looking at the scoreline I can understand why you might think it was.

First half thought we were really good. 2nd half probably was a mauling though. We just weren’t in it and lost 4 goals.

Not the end of the world though. The league was always priority.

33 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

First half thought we were really good. 2nd half probably was a mauling though. We just weren’t in it and lost 4 goals.

Lets be honest we got humped off a struggling premier league side sprinkled with internationals, comng off a mid winter break, trying to impress a new mamager, playing at arguably one of the most intimidating grounds in Scottish football....... Sugar coating the result and performance means nothing to this season's goal....   As a  supporter of any club, by watching games on a regular basis and not one game wonders, you realized your teams limitations and frailties,  basically Hearts were a few levels above and it showed up our limitations in various positions, That's football and we have a great chance to go for the title,  we had 1500 at Tynecastle,  fantastic, to be honest the next to home games are crucial to our hopes , 6 points required against Stranraer and ,Raith,  The team need our support at our home ground, which in my opinion is of a better standard than Tynecastle,  the number of restricted view seats  were ridiculous from the first few rows behind the goals.

Lets be honest we got humped off a struggling premier league side sprinkled with internationals, comng off a mid winter break, trying to impress a new mamager, playing at arguably one of the most intimidating grounds in Scottish football....... Sugar coating the result and performance means nothing to this season's goal....   As a  supporter of any club, by watching games on a regular basis and not one game wonders, you realized your teams limitations and frailties,  basically Hearts were a few levels above and it showed up our limitations in various positions, That's football and we have a great chance to go for the title,  we had 1500 at Tynecastle,  fantastic, to be honest the next to home games are crucial to our hopes , 6 points required against Stranraer and ,Raith,  The team need our support at our home ground, which in my opinion is of a better standard than Tynecastle,  the number of restricted view seats  were ridiculous from the first few rows behind the goals.

Agree. I thought we were very flat second half and didn’t get going or do ourselves justice. But at the end of the day they have multiple international’s playing for them and are a premier league side. Losing by five is a bit of sore one but next week is the more important game so hopefully we get back on track.

49 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Agree. I thought we were very flat second half and didn’t get going or do ourselves justice. But at the end of the day they have multiple international’s playing for them and are a premier league side. Losing by five is a bit of sore one but next week is the more important game so hopefully we get back on track.

This game was a one of good day out as most of our cup games are however I am concerned with the formation the players who the manager seems not to trust that are the ones who drive forward in midfield. I like most have enjoyed the fact we are up there in the league and credit goes to the players and management that said the defensive frailties have been exposed at clyde EF etc. Also back to the long ball game at times. We do not have all the right players to play 3 5 2 and that is my concern that will be the system away to Falkirk and Raith in the weeks to come...

This game was a one of good day out as most of our cup games are however I am concerned with the formation the players who the manager seems not to trust that are the ones who drive forward in midfield. I like most have enjoyed the fact we are up there in the league and credit goes to the players and management that said the defensive frailties have been exposed at clyde EF etc. Also back to the long ball game at times. We do not have all the right players to play 3 5 2 and that is my concern that will be the system away to Falkirk and Raith in the weeks to come...

Our form has definitely dropped in the last few weeks. Agree on the 352. Thought we were exposed 2nd half.

7 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Our form has definitely dropped in the last few weeks. Agree on the 352. Thought we were exposed 2nd half.

As you said the league is the priority the first goal was really poor but we did ok in the first half but the defending for the second was ... well not good then it was a case of how many as we were all over the place system right out the park...

I'd consider freshening up the team for next week's game. Maybe something like

Hutton

MacDonald Crighton Fordyce McCann

Smith Millar Wedderburn Carrick

Gallagher Ryan

Would like to see Gallagher and Ryan play together as two strikers and I'm now convinced that Smith should be viewed purely as winger. Wouldn't be against Kerr coming into the team either and I'd be ok with McKay starting although I think we have better options. If we're playing one central striker with a 10 behind him I'd like to see Hawkshaw get a run out but like I said, I'd like to see Gallagher and Ryan paired up

These are exactly my thoughts, said to my grandpa at the game yesterday Murray tinkering with things that generally didn't need to be tinkered with could remove all momentum we have/had. Yesterday could make or break our season. Disappointed doesn't quite cover how we should all feel about yesterday.

I think the important thing is that we don't totally collapse like we did last season after the Celtic game. That's been my main concern all week.

But Murray has a job on his hands as the recent form has been poor, we've rightly been pushing through it as a fanbase but a quick upturn is required to even get the play offs (I don't doubt we will get them) as current form is bottom half of the league stuff.

Thought Smith looked more like his old self yesterday which bodes really well.

It's an old cliche but it really was a game of 2 halves. Don't think any Airdrie fan was too despondent at half time. We were a goal down from a bit of luck and still in with a shout. 

What was disappointing was how we folded in the second half, but that's where full time football and experience kicked in. Nothing to be ashamed of and there's plenty to learn from, but we move on now. 

For the Stranraer game, I'd like to see us go 442 with Gal and Ryan upfront together, Smith and Carrick wide. Same back 4 and centre mid I'd prefer Roberts back in for McKay, so partner him with Miller. We need to be on the front foot and show less fear. We are 2nd in the league and at home so must go on the offensive from the start. We won't do that with the same team that started against Hearts. 

1 hour ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's an old cliche but it really was a game of 2 halves. Don't think any Airdrie fan was too despondent at half time. We were a goal down from a bit of luck and still in with a shout. 

What was disappointing was how we folded in the second half, but that's where full time football and experience kicked in. Nothing to be ashamed of and there's plenty to learn from, but we move on now. 

For the Stranraer game, I'd like to see us go 442 with Gal and Ryan upfront together, Smith and Carrick wide. Same back 4 and centre mid I'd prefer Roberts back in for McKay, so partner him with Miller. We need to be on the front foot and show less fear. We are 2nd in the league and at home so must go on the offensive from the start. We won't do that with the same team that started against Hearts. 

If you look at results over and performance the season there is a huge gulf when we play 3 5 2 and we are much better with miller and Robert's together helps McKay too. We held our own first half with Hearts and hopefullythe is no hangoverfrom the result, with AR back there will be changes we are best when positive 4 3 3 or as you say 4 4 2 now I may have a slight hangover but I dont get some of the changes or the need to return to this 3 5 2 when it does not seem to work regardless who we play...

Edited by Eric the half a b

28 minutes ago, Eric the half a b said:

If you look at results over and performance the season there is a huge gulf when we play 3 5 2 and we are much better with miller and Robert's together helps McKay too. We held our own first half with Hearts and hopefullythe is no hangoverfrom the result, with AR back there will be changes we are best when positive 4 3 3 or as you say 4 4 2 now I may have a slight hangover but I dont get some of the changes or the need to return to this 3 5 2 when it does not seem to work regardless who we play...

On sportscene and sky sports I said it was a 343 we could payed which would mean it would be a struggle to dominate the middle of the park!

22 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

Same against East Fife second half we were very poor ,

Well, that second half was chastening. 

Especially after a first half in which we were giving a good account of ourselves; Smith gave them plenty reasons to worry and how the hearts players who kept pulling his shirt avoided bookings is beyond me, a number of corners and throws which we could sadly not capitalise upon, but Hearts kicked us about a bit in the second half in all honesty.

Agree with many who noted the changes made to shape ultimately didn't work but it was a reasonable enough game to try something in. We now clearly need a significant bounce back on Saturday and must hope the small extra rest doesn't give Stranraer an advantage. Being able to call upon Andy Ryan will give us a weapon we didn't have and it might be worth starting him.

We will be facing a team looking to sit in and counter on us, so we need to manipulate the ball as the counter attack gameplan will be tricky to implement on a team that won't leave Smith et al much space to run in behind them. 

Hopefully see the right response from the players who will surely want to give the something in return for the backing they got, which as noted was excellent. 

Ack well. That didn't go exactly as hoped. Competed reasonably well enough in the first half but Hearts stepped it up in the second half and, disappointingly, we never had an answer for them. Similarly to the league, far too many sloppy goals conceded (corners again!) but against a team like that you're just not going to get away with it. Probably  the most disappointing thing for me was the capitulation after the second goal. Totally faded out the game and didn't even look interested after that. Wasn't too enamoured with the team selection and formation even before the game but to be fair, I'd rather try something different in a game that's essentially a free hit rather than a league game which could potentially cost us a vital three points. Strange substitutions - both in terms of personnel and timing but I don't suppose it would have made a difference whenever the subs came on. Will be interesting to see what Murray goes for on Saturday. Superb Airdrie support both in terms of numbers and atmosphere. A shame we never got a result or performance we deserved but the players coming over to applaud the fans at the end (presumably at the behest of Murray after the 'huddle') was a nice touch. Hopefully we'll be seeing crowds like that more often in the near future (only way we will is if we continue to improve on the park and ultimately get out of this league). Thought Callum Smith was easily our best player. Only player that really looked a threat or capable of creating something though young Kyle had his moments too. I should say too that I thoroughly enjoyed my day out which I like to think is the most important thing.

I don't think the game will derail our season like Parkhead did last year but this Saturday may answer some questions in that regard. Big game and important to get the 3 points to set us up nicely for the Raith game the following week. 

On 18/01/2020 at 20:56, Passionate said:

According to the press, we are looking at Steven Boyd ex accies, East fife,  a striker / attacking midfielder an excellent player for this level, don't know if any truth in it, hope so as the only way to win this league is by scoring goals.

I said on Twitter that I'd happily take him at Airdrie. Looked a class act a few years ago at Rovers and capable of playing at a higher level than ours. Obviously hasn't fully worked out for him but there's definitely still a player there and we could certainly do with a #10 type. 

I said on Twitter that I'd happily take him at Airdrie. Looked a class act a few years ago at Rovers and capable of playing at a higher level than ours. Obviously hasn't fully worked out for him but there's definitely still a player there and we could certainly do with a #10 type. 

He’s not signing...