Jump to content
Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:


...or result in us conceding a few more. He could have been instructed NOT to come for cross balls, let the defenders deal with them, and react to anything that comes his way. Someone mentioned Andy Goram previously - he didn’t tend to come for cross balls.

Pretty sure someone mentioned at the last home game that the bench were asking him *politely* to come for cross balls.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Pretty sure someone mentioned at the last home game that the bench were asking him *politely* to come for cross balls.....

Aye, Colin Cameron in particular was being very, ahem, *polite* on that topic. That was more because the crosses were very deep and quite poor but he still seemed hesitant to come for them despite the centre halves leaving them as balls that looked stick on 'keepers'. One of which he fumbled out his own hands. 

Cue even more *polite* comments from Cameron. 

Obviously a world of difference between leaving most of the cross ball responsibility to defenders and never ever coming for any at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Aye, Colin Cameron in particular was being very, ahem, *polite* on that topic. That was more because the crosses were very deep and quite poor but he still seemed hesitant to come for them despite the centre halves leaving them as balls that looked stick on 'keepers'. One of which he fumbled out his own hands. 

Cue even more *polite* comments from Cameron. 

Obviously a world of difference between leaving most of the cross ball responsibility to defenders and never ever coming for any at all. 

Just have to get defenders that can jump instead of ducking , a really good keeper will have his defender block the runs while he picks the ball out the air , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Just have to get defenders that can jump instead of ducking , a really good keeper will have his defender block the runs while he picks the ball out the air , 

By and large we do, to be fair. Crighton and Fordyce have been excellent so far this season. No player always makes the best decision, though, especially at this level. If there were no weaknesses in the defenders and goalkeeper they would not be playing for Airdrie in League 1, is the thing.

You need to make practical decisions based on the constraints under which you work. So far, we are doing alright in that regard; we have the second lowest 'goals against' tally  in the entire league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

By and large we do, to be fair. Crighton and Fordyce have been excellent so far this season. No player always makes the best decision, though, especially at this level. If there were no weaknesses in the defenders and goalkeeper they would not be playing for Airdrie in League 1, is the thing.

You need to make practical decisions based on the constraints under which you work. So far, we are doing alright in that regard; we have the second lowest 'goals against' tally  in the entire league.

Yes to be fair we are in a good  position ,but some of the games have been a hard watch , it looks ok at times if you are just watching the highlights ,but for most it’s a poor watch on a cold day   , playing ok in one half then coming out like a different team , what happens ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes to be fair we are in a good  position ,but some of the games have been a hard watch , it looks ok at times if you are just watching the highlights ,but for most it’s a poor watch on a cold day   , playing ok in one half then coming out like a different team , what happens ? 

Aye it's a bit fits and starts at times and we do seem to struggle to find a 90 minute performance, but we play a high intensity game with an emphasis on attacking at pace so perhaps not surprising that energy levels drop. We score a fair amount of late goals so the fitness clearly outdoes that of a lot of the other teams in the league (the hybrid model benefiting us there) and the commitment is there, we hare after the opposition more often than not when out of position, but there's plenty still to improve on; far from the finished article. 

That being said, it has been a while since I've regretted going along to a match this season. Even when we're not exactly pretty, we're competitive and a lot of the games are hotly contested for large swathes, if not the full 90. Perhaps an attitude borne of low expectations, but a committed team in and around the top four with goals in them does for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

That being said, it has been a while since I've regretted going along to a match this season. Even when we're not exactly pretty, we're competitive and a lot of the games are hotly contested for large swathes, if not the full 90. Perhaps an attitude borne of low expectations, but a committed team in and around the top four with goals in them does for me. 

Personally I can see it in this team that they could win the division if they cut out the silly stuff. A bit more concentration at the start and end of each half and there would be a few points gap between us and 2nd place at the moment.

The way I see it is that it's good to push the current squad (with maybe another midfielder) to realise their potential, and part of that is recognising what is going right while also not settling for "good enough". Maybe my expectations are too high!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, G_H said:

Personally I can see it in this team that they could win the division if they cut out the silly stuff. A bit more concentration at the start and end of each half and there would be a few points gap between us and 2nd place at the moment.

The way I see it is that it's good to push the current squad (with maybe another midfielder) to realise their potential, and part of that is recognising what is going right while also not settling for "good enough". Maybe my expectations are too high!

I think we're well capable of it and there have been missed opportunities already; Clyde away, Saturday past. Not to mention the bad start. It's in our hands and beating Stranraer is a must to set things up nicely for Raiths visit, which is a big chance for us. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with ambition and I still see us as title contenders, we are and we should be aiming for it, but given there is clearly little between us, Raith and Falkirk as things stand, I don't think finishing top 3 will be a failure. Unless Falkirk start motoring, I think it's going to be a tight run in. In most other seasons I think any of the three of us would be comfortably top of this league, it just happens to be a perfect storm. 

Keeps it interesting, if nothing else. Honestly? Gun to my head? Said it at the start of the season; It's our year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Podcast for the big game




If you want to skip, Joel Sked at 30.49, Jimmy Sandison at 55:23.
Good listen. Contributors comments about bringing Nat into the side I have to disagree with. The one thing we saw from early season games was that he and Millar don't work together. Whether that was because we didn't have Roberts playing with them or that the set up was slightly different may also have contributed but this is far too big a game to find out. I just recall the side being shite with both of them together and I'd rather have Millar start than Wedderburn. So for me we stick with McKay and if we manage to bring someone else in during January then I'd consider not playing him but certainly not drop him for Nat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see we have sold our ticket allocation for Saturday.  I know it was said last year after the Celtic game that some may start coming to games regularly.  Will be interesting to see how many turn up at the home game against stranrar the week after when the team could do with some real backing.  I'd never frown on anyone who comes to support the diamonds but it just goes to show how big our support can be.  Their is also a lot of fairweather fans who only look for big games. With all the tickets being sold and January payday after Christmas not for a couple more weeks for some How many real airdrie fans wont get to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez oh Murray and Cameron winding up the hearts players on the news there..

Calling them out saying their current position is all down to the players!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good listen. Contributors comments about bringing Nat into the side I have to disagree with. The one thing we saw from early season games was that he and Millar don't work together. Whether that was because we didn't have Roberts playing with them or that the set up was slightly different may also have contributed but this is far too big a game to find out. I just recall the side being shite with both of them together and I'd rather have Millar start than Wedderburn. So for me we stick with McKay and if we manage to bring someone else in during January then I'd consider not playing him but certainly not drop him for Nat.


FWIW, I agree. McKay may have some limitations but I think a good number 8 would be needed to improve compared to McKay. Unless big Nat has made himself much fitter.... which I haven’t seen BUT I wasn’t at the Forfar game to see him impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a way you could argue that Nat has been slightly unfortunate in that his individual performances at the start of the season were no worse than Miller, McKay or Roberts, yet has barely kicked a ball since. He obviously can't play in the advanced role that Roberts does, Miller has a bit more energy and can get about the park better, and McKay brought out the long throw which proved (for a few weeks at least) to be a good weapon, he also gives us a bit of much needed height at set pieces. All this has meant that Nat can hardly get a game, even off the bench. By just bad luck on his part the balance of the team means he doesn't really fit. He was poor at the start of the season, but then so was everyone, it's rare you'd be dropped and then have to wait over 3 months to get another shot. But if the team is doing well you can't really complain.

I think he is a better player than McKay, but like I say McKay's other attributes get him in the team. Certainly on Saturday I'd be playing McKay as long throws may be our best bet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In a way you could argue that Nat has been slightly unfortunate in that his individual performances at the start of the season were no worse than Miller, McKay or Roberts, yet has barely kicked a ball since. He obviously can't play in the advanced role that Roberts does, Miller has a bit more energy and can get about the park better, and McKay brought out the long throw which proved (for a few weeks at least) to be a good weapon, he also gives us a bit of much needed height at set pieces. All this has meant that Nat can hardly get a game, even off the bench. By just bad luck on his part the balance of the team means he doesn't really fit. He was poor at the start of the season, but then so was everyone, it's rare you'd be dropped and then have to wait over 3 months to get another shot. But if the team is doing well you can't really complain.

I think he is a better player than McKay, but like I say McKay's other attributes get him in the team. Certainly on Saturday I'd be playing McKay as long throws may be our best bet.

 

Going forward I'd rather have Kerr moved up to midfield and into Mackays slot. Now that Roy doesn't get a game he's very much the weak link plus in any decent size of park those long throws are not that effective.

Edited by cb_diamond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Jeez oh Murray and Cameron winding up the hearts players on the news there..

Calling them out saying their current position is all down to the players!

Genuinely idiotic stuff. Why give motivation to the hearts players. Beyond stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Going forward I'd rather have Kerr moved up to midfield and into Mackays slot. Now that Roy doesn't get a game he's very much the weak link plus in any decent size of park those long throws are not that effective.

I’d agree with this, comparing them together all McKay has is a long throw and I think Kerr can do everything McKay does and more besides the long through which must have under 2% success rate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's down to some players being a bit complacent.  Feeling their position in the team was safe.  The forward line work hard but their was only ally roy challenging for a place.  Midfield knowing only hawkshaw and nat were there.  Defence knowing only kerr was next.   Now eckersly is back and Thomson is back. Andy Ryan will be challenging for a start.  Against east fife seagal worked harder.   The way nat played against forfar looks to have given mckay something to think about.  The defence have been fantastic but kerr has been doing a good job in the reserves.  I agree it's only really Mckays place under threat at the moment but we have good cover and a few who could come and do a good job. 

Edited by Ballboy
,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Genuinely idiotic stuff. Why give motivation to the hearts players. Beyond stupid.

Aye,they will be far to good for us ,if we keep it to under 4 we will be doing well ,would we get any of our players in their team , no chance ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye,they will be far to good for us ,if we keep it to under 4 we will be doing well ,would we get any of our players in their team , no chance ,

Agree, looking forward to the day and the occasion,   Major shock if we even got a replay,  taking 1500 ext to this game,half of which will not be there next week against stranraer,  how times change we took 1500 plus to Broadwood on a regular basis during our much maligned  tenancy while we waited on the new stadium..

 

Personally I would freshen up the team, give fringe players game time in a competitive environment, instead of lining up against 17 year olds in the Reserves or Youth development league or whatever they call it these days...  Kerr is being touted now as a midfield playmaker because he has scored goals at that level. !!!!!!  Kerr is a young centre half who should be encouraged to learn the position from seasoned pros like Crighton and Fordyce, I do not see any advantage to messing with this, we did the same with Jamie Bain and Scott Stewart years ago changing positions on a regular basis to suit the inadequacies of recruitment and management,  in my view these players have not developed to a standard they could have due to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...