The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

No matter what is posted on here of anyone’s pointless opinions these coaches are more qualified than 99.9% of us on here and know who the best goalie is and Murray stated after he became manager Hutts was our no1 and if he wasn’t good enough they wouldn’t have gave him a new contract

Aye , they get it right every time ,

Regarding Hutton - he's become a bit of a cult hero for some of our fans, mostly due to a penalty save at Parkhead and perhaps because his reaction drew the ire of the Celtic fans. The last two games I've watched him in though he's been no better than average. Yes, he can be a good shot stopper but his positioning is sometimes suspect and I don't know if he's ever come for a cross ball. 

For me he's a decent enough 'keeper for this level, but he's far from irreplaceable. 

A keeper with no weaknesses is not going to be playing in our division. 

Coming for crosses and distribution are two of Hutton's. Another keeper might be stronger at those but less good at shot stopping and less vocal. C'est la vie. 

1 hour ago, Pesadilla said:

Regarding Hutton - he's become a bit of a cult hero for some of our fans, mostly due to a penalty save at Parkhead and perhaps because his reaction drew the ire of the Celtic fans. The last two games I've watched him in though he's been no better than average. Yes, he can be a good shot stopper but his positioning is sometimes suspect and I don't know if he's ever come for a cross ball. 

For me he's a decent enough 'keeper for this level, but he's far from irreplaceable. 

Spot on 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

A keeper with no weaknesses is not going to be playing in our division. 

Coming for crosses and distribution are two of Hutton's. Another keeper might be stronger at those but less good at shot stopping and less vocal. C'est la vie. 

Aye ,it’s no easy being a keeper , but surely if you are a coach you have got to encourage him to come for cross balls , would cut out a few goals , does it balance itself out with shot stopping maybe !!

29 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye ,it’s no easy being a keeper , but surely if you are a coach you have got to encourage him to come for cross balls , would cut out a few goals , does it balance itself out with shot stopping maybe !!

Maybe, aye. But I suppose you could look at it another way, and say that the chances of successfully converting Hutton into a keeper who IS good at coming for crosses are slim and so take the rough with the smooth. 

You try getting him to come for crosses more often than he does now and he starts missing them, you could end up losing more goals than the current approach, which seems to be for him to try the odd punch now and then but generally leaving crosses to the centre halves. 

Crighton and Fordyce by and large are good at that, so since you have them there and a lot of work would be needed to transform Hutton, you may actually be better off leaving as is; centre halves repel crosses and your keeper on his line to stop the shot if the opponents win the second ball. 

The alternative might mean Hutts comes for the crosses, misses, and the net is empty and/or defended by players who cannot sue their arms and hands. 

I'm pretty relaxed about it. Every player has their strengths and weaknesses and at this level you really need to be able to work around them in practical, feasible ways. 

Aye ,it’s no easy being a keeper , but surely if you are a coach you have got to encourage him to come for cross balls , would cut out a few goals

...or result in us conceding a few more. He could have been instructed NOT to come for cross balls, let the defenders deal with them, and react to anything that comes his way. Someone mentioned Andy Goram previously - he didn’t tend to come for cross balls.

2 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

...or result in us conceding a few more. He could have been instructed NOT to come for cross balls, let the defenders deal with them, and react to anything that comes his way. Someone mentioned Andy Goram previously - he didn’t tend to come for cross balls.

Pretty sure someone mentioned at the last home game that the bench were asking him *politely* to come for cross balls.....

30 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Pretty sure someone mentioned at the last home game that the bench were asking him *politely* to come for cross balls.....

Aye, Colin Cameron in particular was being very, ahem, *polite* on that topic. That was more because the crosses were very deep and quite poor but he still seemed hesitant to come for them despite the centre halves leaving them as balls that looked stick on 'keepers'. One of which he fumbled out his own hands. 

Cue even more *polite* comments from Cameron. 

Obviously a world of difference between leaving most of the cross ball responsibility to defenders and never ever coming for any at all. 

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Aye, Colin Cameron in particular was being very, ahem, *polite* on that topic. That was more because the crosses were very deep and quite poor but he still seemed hesitant to come for them despite the centre halves leaving them as balls that looked stick on 'keepers'. One of which he fumbled out his own hands. 

Cue even more *polite* comments from Cameron. 

Obviously a world of difference between leaving most of the cross ball responsibility to defenders and never ever coming for any at all. 

Just have to get defenders that can jump instead of ducking , a really good keeper will have his defender block the runs while he picks the ball out the air , 

14 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Just have to get defenders that can jump instead of ducking , a really good keeper will have his defender block the runs while he picks the ball out the air , 

By and large we do, to be fair. Crighton and Fordyce have been excellent so far this season. No player always makes the best decision, though, especially at this level. If there were no weaknesses in the defenders and goalkeeper they would not be playing for Airdrie in League 1, is the thing.

You need to make practical decisions based on the constraints under which you work. So far, we are doing alright in that regard; we have the second lowest 'goals against' tally  in the entire league.

31 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

By and large we do, to be fair. Crighton and Fordyce have been excellent so far this season. No player always makes the best decision, though, especially at this level. If there were no weaknesses in the defenders and goalkeeper they would not be playing for Airdrie in League 1, is the thing.

You need to make practical decisions based on the constraints under which you work. So far, we are doing alright in that regard; we have the second lowest 'goals against' tally  in the entire league.

Yes to be fair we are in a good  position ,but some of the games have been a hard watch , it looks ok at times if you are just watching the highlights ,but for most it’s a poor watch on a cold day   , playing ok in one half then coming out like a different team , what happens ? 

10 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Yes to be fair we are in a good  position ,but some of the games have been a hard watch , it looks ok at times if you are just watching the highlights ,but for most it’s a poor watch on a cold day   , playing ok in one half then coming out like a different team , what happens ? 

Aye it's a bit fits and starts at times and we do seem to struggle to find a 90 minute performance, but we play a high intensity game with an emphasis on attacking at pace so perhaps not surprising that energy levels drop. We score a fair amount of late goals so the fitness clearly outdoes that of a lot of the other teams in the league (the hybrid model benefiting us there) and the commitment is there, we hare after the opposition more often than not when out of position, but there's plenty still to improve on; far from the finished article. 

That being said, it has been a while since I've regretted going along to a match this season. Even when we're not exactly pretty, we're competitive and a lot of the games are hotly contested for large swathes, if not the full 90. Perhaps an attitude borne of low expectations, but a committed team in and around the top four with goals in them does for me. 

35 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

That being said, it has been a while since I've regretted going along to a match this season. Even when we're not exactly pretty, we're competitive and a lot of the games are hotly contested for large swathes, if not the full 90. Perhaps an attitude borne of low expectations, but a committed team in and around the top four with goals in them does for me. 

Personally I can see it in this team that they could win the division if they cut out the silly stuff. A bit more concentration at the start and end of each half and there would be a few points gap between us and 2nd place at the moment.

The way I see it is that it's good to push the current squad (with maybe another midfielder) to realise their potential, and part of that is recognising what is going right while also not settling for "good enough". Maybe my expectations are too high!

Just now, G_H said:

Personally I can see it in this team that they could win the division if they cut out the silly stuff. A bit more concentration at the start and end of each half and there would be a few points gap between us and 2nd place at the moment.

The way I see it is that it's good to push the current squad (with maybe another midfielder) to realise their potential, and part of that is recognising what is going right while also not settling for "good enough". Maybe my expectations are too high!

I think we're well capable of it and there have been missed opportunities already; Clyde away, Saturday past. Not to mention the bad start. It's in our hands and beating Stranraer is a must to set things up nicely for Raiths visit, which is a big chance for us. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with ambition and I still see us as title contenders, we are and we should be aiming for it, but given there is clearly little between us, Raith and Falkirk as things stand, I don't think finishing top 3 will be a failure. Unless Falkirk start motoring, I think it's going to be a tight run in. In most other seasons I think any of the three of us would be comfortably top of this league, it just happens to be a perfect storm. 

Keeps it interesting, if nothing else. Honestly? Gun to my head? Said it at the start of the season; It's our year. 

Podcast for the big game

If you want to skip, Joel Sked at 30.49, Jimmy Sandison at 55:23.
Good listen. Contributors comments about bringing Nat into the side I have to disagree with. The one thing we saw from early season games was that he and Millar don't work together. Whether that was because we didn't have Roberts playing with them or that the set up was slightly different may also have contributed but this is far too big a game to find out. I just recall the side being shite with both of them together and I'd rather have Millar start than Wedderburn. So for me we stick with McKay and if we manage to bring someone else in during January then I'd consider not playing him but certainly not drop him for Nat.