The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

47 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Vital 3 points but had to scrap.  Could have won more comfortably but could have been behind with McDonald handball on the line.  McKay walked around 1st half watching the game pass him by. Its good to see Smith's workrate but its still not really happening for him.  Crighton and fordyce solid again and deserved MOTM for McCann.  Dont know how many times I've said the ref was poor this season but at least it didn't have too much influence on the outcome.  Gal has to think a bit more about his position and keep an eye on the offside line. We take 3 points and move on to another challenge next week.  

Agree about the game but I am not sure about the "handball" although Forfar moaned then I will wait to see the highlights later. Forfar had some right moaners throughout that side but the Ref was right to blank them.

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Agree about the game but I am not sure about the "handball" although Forfar moaned then I will wait to see the highlights later. Forfar had some right moaners throughout that side but the Ref was right to blank them.

Funniest was the big number 6.  Should really have got a 2nd yellow for pulling hawkshaw down. Basically just grabbed him when he was past him but went mental when the ref gave the free kick. 

2 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

Funniest was the big number 6.  Should really have got a 2nd yellow for pulling hawkshaw down. Basically just grabbed him when he was past him but went mental when the ref gave the free kick. 

Yep I spotted that at the time and my favourite Ross Forbes was not far behind. I was glad Hilson was only a late sub.

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Ok you seem more in the know, then myself,   as I say I sincerely hope this rumour is true,  also think we require a creative midfielder someone like Declan Glass who we had last year on loan.......   

This is not important right now but apparently been told he wont play for dumfermline again. Also the big swede is still making his mind up n as said before what a turnup for the books if the both signed. 

Just a small point the manager needs advice on how to wear an Airdrie hat just wasnt sitting well.

1 minute ago, Eric the half a b said:

This is not important right now but apparently been told he wont play for dumfermline again. Also the big swede is still making his mind up n as said before what a turnup for the books if the both signed. 

Just a small point the manager needs advice on how to wear an Airdrie hat just wasnt sitting well.

A fit and firing Andy Ryan as we k now can put this league to the sword,   But he has not been fit or firing since he left really never been a regular starter or scorer for Dunfermline is he damaged goods......

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

A fit and firing Andy Ryan as we k now can put this league to the sword,   But he has not been fit or firing since he left really never been a regular starter or scorer for Dunfermline is he damaged goods......

Would be good to get him back respect to all the effort the team put in but today shows need wee bit help. Fair play to big Natt good goal deserves the plaudits...

Mixed feelings about the game today. One one hand, I feel good that we seem to be winning games where we're not at the races (eg, today and Peterhead game). On the other hand, I think there's only so long we can keep these performances up before we start dropping points.

Agree with some of the comments on McKay...more often than not he's a passenger.

Fordyce was an absolute rock today and Leon McCann continues to do Leon McCann things...what a prospect the lad is!

Delighted for Big Nat as well...changed the game when he came on...just a shame he plays in slow motion!

7 minutes ago, *marko* said:

Mixed feelings about the game today. One one hand, I feel good that we seem to be winning games where we're not at the races (eg, today and Peterhead game). On the other hand, I think there's only so long we can keep these performances up before we start dropping points.

Agree with some of the comments on McKay...more often than not he's a passenger.

Fordyce was an absolute rock today and Leon McCann continues to do Leon McCann things...what a prospect the lad is!

Delighted for Big Nat as well...changed the game when he came on...just a shame he plays in slow motion!

Lol spot on can pass a ball too.. anyone no what todays crowd was.

12 hours ago, Eric the half a b said:

Surely if the big Swede signed it would be a TURNIP for the books!!

1st half against Forfar was awful, as it was against Peterhead. But credit to the management for changing it with Hawkshaw, Wedderburn and Thomson; will this change our preferred starting line-up or will we persevere with that with these 3 being the preferred subs (rather than the Roy for Gallagher change that changes not very much). Saw Cameron giving the goalie coach pelters about Hutton ('get him to come off his ****ing line' was one piece of feedback). However in fairness I think Hutton is more a goal-line shot stopper who has always been shy of coming for crosses. Anyone know why Gallagher was not on the subs bench? Is he moving in Jan now Hutts has had a new contract?

1 hour ago, goodwin said:

1st half against Forfar was awful, as it was against Peterhead. But credit to the management for changing it with Hawkshaw, Wedderburn and Thomson; will this change our preferred starting line-up or will we persevere with that with these 3 being the preferred subs (rather than the Roy for Gallagher change that changes not very much). Saw Cameron giving the goalie coach pelters about Hutton ('get him to come off his ****ing line' was one piece of feedback). However in fairness I think Hutton is more a goal-line shot stopper who has always been shy of coming for crosses. Anyone know why Gallagher was not on the subs bench? Is he moving in Jan now Hutts has had a new contract?

I also saw Cameron giving McKay pelters when Forfar broke away in the first half so it shows they care. They were berating the lino quite a lot as well but I wonder if this is counter productive. ( It rarely worked for Kenny Black) On the matter of McKay and his continued presence yesterday on the McDonald subbing, I just spotted how crucial his first header was at the winning goal, so maybe Murray was correct. Nat also did a lovely break away from the melee to pounce on Crighton's second header-does this suggest a planned move?  From where we were around the Montrose ( The real form team) defeat this is a pleasing time. McCann is a real prospect and Gal/Smith just need a goal run again.

3 hours ago, goodwin said:

I think the starting 11 won't change.  The changes yesterday were to change the shape.  I feel its good we have options on the bench to change the shape a few different ways. A few of the guys can play in various positions its just trying to keep everyone happy fit and in form with the game time.  

I'd maybe let goalie gal go out on loan and see how he goes.  He was our first choice till his injury but has only played a few games in a year and a half.  Having Hutton be as good as he has been and willison as back up is decent enough.   I think at the start of the season they wanted to see how he recovered from a bad injury but now needs games to get back to where he was. I dont think hed be happy at sitting on the bench every week so maybe a loan would be the best option.  I'd be sad to see him leave permanently. 

Edited by Ballboy

I missed the game as was down south but tweeted my bemusement at Wedderburn coming on so fair fucks to the big man for proving me wrong. He has his well-documented faults but no doubt he has a good eye for a pass. I would be cautious about playing him from the start though. Better teams than Forfar can and will take advantage of his deficiencies especially over a whole 90 minutes. I've been banging on about it for a while now but it was good to finally have some impact off the bench yesterday. I would be reluctant to change the shape or make whole-sale changes though and besides - we'll be all the stronger if we actually have players who can come off the bench and make a difference (Hawkshaw has shown he's a decent player at this level before, Thomson has something about him and hopefully that wasn't just a one off for Wedderburn). We definitely could do with more signings to add some depth and freshen things up though. Nice to keep a rare clean-sheet too. Important to win these scrappy games although hopefully our performances will start to pick up again soon.

Was also going to ask the same question RE Scott Gallacher. TBH I wouldn't mind too much if he was to leave permanently. He seems like a nice guy and is an experienced goalie but, while I understand the reasons for it, there's no real need to have 4 senior goalies at this level and I'd imagine Gallacher, despite barely playing for us, is probably one of the higher earners. Willison is a highly rated young prospect and while I didn't see him in the Montrose game, he was fine in the Stranraer home game (albeit rarely tested). A loan move might be a decent shout though. 

Edited by airdrieman

Just picking up on a few of the points above:-

McKay - he had a poor game but his versatility is what saved him from being subbed. Allowed a different system to be played. (don't get me wrong, I wanted him subbed until I realised what was happening)

Hutton - seemed nervey at times last week and not quite his usual self yesterday. hopefully just a blip.

Andy Ryan - if fit, a fantastic signing

What a shot in the arm for the support and the squad this is. 

Ryan, if he gets himself fully ft after some time out the Dunfermline squad, would likely get himself a start. Until then, what an option from the bench when defences are tired and have been pestered all match by Gal and Dale and Smith.

Outstanding.