The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Fraser Aird to the diamonds?[emoji6][emoji102]

Said on here a while ago I'd love to see him and Fyvie join in January when their contracts ran out. Fyvie extended his but I'd take Aird in a heartbeat, even if he was only a backup to Smith or MacDonald (not sure if he plays more on the wing or at right back these days)

Said on here a while ago I'd love to see him and Fyvie join in January when their contracts ran out. Fyvie extended his but I'd take Aird in a heartbeat, even if he was only a backup to Smith or MacDonald (not sure if he plays more on the wing or at right back these days)

Aird,Fyvie and Andy Ryan [emoji14][emoji7]

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Chances of Fraser Aird going to you guys? Can't see him going back to Falkirk and I doubt anyone in League 2 will pay him Cove wages.

Could see a few Championship teams going for him but stranger things have happened. Would certainly him at Airdrie and it's worth enquiring about. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Could see a few Championship teams going for him but stranger things have happened. Would certainly him at Airdrie and it's worth enquiring about. 

Highly doubt it he's pissed off Dundee United, Dunfermline and Queen of the South. I think most clubs in the championship are aware of what he is like and stayed well clear of him in the summer - hence he ended up at Cove and dropped 2 divisions

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Can't remember the last time Big Nat played (could it even have been when he came off against Forfar which just so happened to 'coincide' with our up turn in form)? As for Cowan - Patrick Pyott (who's not even a midfielder) getting a spot on the bench and even some game time ahead of him suggests his days are numbered. 

Wanting a player in the same mould as Kurtis is more hope than expectation but you never know, there might be a gem out there. Pretty sure Craig Barr was a January signing and Ross Docherty too signed pretty late on in the calendar year. Going back even further than that, it was our January signings in 03/04 that really helped us kick on to the title... 

I don't think he had a great game on Saturday but don't think he was dreadful either. Worked hard and put himself about. Falkirk's back line might be big galoots but he was always going to struggle against them in the air. Like I said in the match thread I was disappointed we didn't stretch them more with balls in behind or balls to the feet of Gallagher/Carrick/Smith. He's pretty unorthodox but he is a good player with the ball at his feet. 

Hopefully he can bag a goal on Saturday. He's still the player I'd be most confident of scoring if the ball fell to him in the box. Would be nice to see Smith break his duck soon too. 

I agree about Gal, definitely wasn't dreadful and he worked as hard as ever, but he seemed a bit short of that self belief and faded the longer the second half wore on, albeit that will in large part have been because Falkirk were turning the screw and we were struggling to get out and up the park. 

Fantastic to have McCann staying on, what a find he has been. To keep Eckersley out you have to go some, but wee Leon has been undropable for me. 

I'm sure Gal will come good, I'm more concerned with Smith who has been on his worst run of form so far. Hopefully comes out of it soon.

re Aird, I know nothing about him but a few comments on social media today indicate he is a walloper. If so I don't think he'll be on the radar, Millar talked a fair bit about the right type of players on the podcast.

Loads of good stuff there from Miller, very honest and sincere. Great news about McCann and some squad movement in January but without overdoing it. Bit of a shocker about Kurtis Roberts' fitness though. He's a phenomenal wee player but needs to get a grip when he's had half a season and can barely finish a match.

I'm sure Gal will come good, I'm more concerned with Smith who has been on his worst run of form so far. Hopefully comes out of it soon.

re Aird, I know nothing about him but a few comments on social media today indicate he is a walloper. If so I don't think he'll be on the radar, Millar talked a fair bit about the right type of players on the podcast.

Wouldn't say Smith's on a particularly bad run of form. Not scoring goals and seems to maybe panic when he gets through on goal but other than that I still think his performances have been good.

If that is the case with Aird I'd rather not sign him since we seem to have a squad that get along really well and have a real togetherness. If those rumours are exaggerated I'd definitely take him as I think he'd do a job but if he is a walloper I'd rather we didn't bother.

Smith hasn't gotten a goal for some time, granted, but as ShineOn says I don't think he has been poor on the whole. 

His pace is such a weapon and we just need to try exploiting that a bit more. Gets us up the park so often, wins a good amount of freekicks and must give fullbacks in this league absolute nightmares. 

If he adds even semi-regular goals to his game in the second half of the season he'll be pulling up trees. 

Fraser Aird; seems like an absolute nugget and one imagines there is a reason nobody in the championship wanted him, but he's quick and has goals in him so could be a decent impact sub, akin to Roy but with more end product. 

9 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Latest podcast - chat with Stuart Millar. Confirmed Cowan set to leave and McCann to join from Accies emoji1303.pngemoji815.png

Fantastic news about McCann. That is an absolute steal. Good to hear there will be some, but minimal, player movement. We really don't need wholesale changes, but could do with a couple of additions to improve the squad further. Best of luck to Charlie Reilly and James Cowan. Neither of them have really cut it here but they seem like decent enough blokes and they're  both still young enough that they can improve. 

That was a really interesting listen. The stuff about the fitness programmes and the sports science was particularly interesting. You can see now it's really starting to pay off on the park. Very honest of Stan to speak about Kurtis Roberts and his fitness. He's a cracking player with plenty of energy so just imagine how good he'll be when he's fully fit? 

Lots of interesting comments too about having the 'right type of player' in the squad (which we never did last season) and the stuff about Murray and Fitzy perhaps not having the greatest of working relationships was a good listen too. We've certainly addressed both of those issues. Colin Cameron looks to have been a shrewd addition and brings lots of experience both from his playing and management career. And we can see now too we have a squad with a great attitude and spirit. They clearly all get on with each other and that really manifests itself with their battling performances on the park. Obviously a lot of 'bad eggs' in the team last season. Great to hear the club talk about wanting to be in the Championship too. That's exactly the sort of attitude we need and should have. 

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Smith hasn't gotten a goal for some time, granted, but as ShineOn says I don't think he has been poor on the whole. 

His pace is such a weapon and we just need to try exploiting that a bit more. Gets us up the park so often, wins a good amount of freekicks and must give fullbacks in this league absolute nightmares. 

If he adds even semi-regular goals to his game in the second half of the season he'll be pulling up trees. 

Fraser Aird; seems like an absolute nugget and one imagines there is a reason nobody in the championship wanted him, but he's quick and has goals in him so could be a decent impact sub, akin to Roy but with more end product. 

I agree RE Smith. I don't think he's a natural scorer (though he should still be doing better with the chances he's had) but he's an absolute workhorse. We'll have the ball in the opposition's half more often than not whenever Smith is playing, he constantly harasses defenders and pressures them into making mistakes and wins a decent amount of free-kicks and penalties too. He does need to get a goal soon to hopefully get himself out of his rut but he's scored 6 already this season and, even if he just replicated that in the new year, 12 wouldn't be an awful total all in. Like I've said with a few others, I think we'd be much worse without Smith in the team. Here's hoping he extends his stay beyond January. 

21 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Fantastic news about McCann. That is an absolute steal. Good to hear there will be some, but minimal, player movement. We really don't need wholesale changes, but could do with a couple of additions to improve the squad further. Best of luck to Charlie Reilly and James Cowan. Neither of them have really cut it here but they seem like decent enough blokes and they're  both still young enough that they can improve. 

That was a really interesting listen. The stuff about the fitness programmes and the sports science was particularly interesting. You can see now it's really starting to pay off on the park. Very honest of Stan to speak about Kurtis Roberts and his fitness. He's a cracking player with plenty of energy so just imagine how good he'll be when he's fully fit? 

Lots of interesting comments too about having the 'right type of player' in the squad (which we never did last season) and the stuff about Murray and Fitzy perhaps not having the greatest of working relationships was a good listen too. We've certainly addressed both of those issues. Colin Cameron looks to have been a shrewd addition and brings lots of experience both from his playing and management career. And we can see now too we have a squad with a great attitude and spirit. They clearly all get on with each other and that really manifests itself with their battling performances on the park. Obviously a lot of 'bad eggs' in the team last season. Great to hear the club talk about wanting to be in the Championship too. That's exactly the sort of attitude we need and should have. 

I agree RE Smith. I don't think he's a natural scorer (though he should still be doing better with the chances he's had) but he's an absolute workhorse. We'll have the ball in the opposition's half more often than not whenever Smith is playing, he constantly harasses defenders and pressures them into making mistakes and wins a decent amount of free-kicks and penalties too. He does need to get a goal soon to hopefully get himself out of his rut but he's scored 6 already this season and, even if he just replicated that in the new year, 12 wouldn't be an awful total all in. Like I've said with a few others, I think we'd be much worse without Smith in the team. Here's hoping he extends his stay beyond January. 

I think Callum Smith is on a season long loan from Dunfermline or that was what was stated at the start of the season when he arrived.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

Is Aird not off to America in the new year ?