Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, DiamondDownSouth said:

When did we start wearing the diamond?  I think I saw from a web-site that it was 1912, in which case why aren't they on the strips in this photo from 1924?

We did wear the diamond in the final few years back got the replica strip. 

When did we start wearing the diamond?  I think I saw from a web-site that it was 1912, in which case why aren't they on the strips in this photo from 1924?

I’m assuming the cover photo isn’t Airdrie?

I bought a book on the Scottish Cup by Potter and Jones today at a 20% reduction in W H Smiths in Airdrie. It covers finals from 1873-2016 and is good reading. I only looked so far in depth  at the Airdrie finals . It's a wee bit patronising in that it describes us as " a small provincial club"  but agrees it was "no isolated fluke" having been runners up 4 times in the League in the 1920's. It has a photo of the team in Diamonds which looks as if it is at Broomfield. Lots of detail including four games against Ayr United  in the QF. My Dad was at the final as a teenager  and could rhyme off the winning team for the rest of his days. I had to get it right as well.

4 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I bought a book on the Scottish Cup by Potter and Jones today at a 20% reduction in W H Smiths in Airdrie. It covers finals from 1873-2016 and is good reading. I only looked so far in depth  at the Airdrie finals . It's a wee bit patronising in that it describes us as " a small provincial club"  but agrees it was "no isolated fluke" having been runners up 4 times in the League in the 1920's. It has a photo of the team in Diamonds which looks as if it is at Broomfield. Lots of detail including four games against Ayr United  in the QF. My Dad was at the final as a teenager  and could rhyme off the winning team for the rest of his days. I had to get it right as well.

My Granddad was the same. 

Ewart, Dick, McQueen....

Reid, Russell, Gallagher, Mcphail and Somerville.

My uncle told me that in one of the games v Ayr, Ayr seemed to have scored the winner but Ewart convinced the ref that the ball had entered via the side netting! Just as well there was no VAR!

13 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

"Provincial club" has always seemed odd to me in a Scottish context.  Does anyone know what or where the provinces of Scotland are meant to be?

It's just a posh way of saying "diddy team".

Falkirk to be without Telfer and more importantly Gomis for the game on 28th. Obviously need to concern ourselves with Clyde first, but that's a big plus, no having Gomis to contend with. Essentially their best player. 

16 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

"Provincial club" has always seemed odd to me in a Scottish context.  Does anyone know what or where the provinces of Scotland are meant to be?

It was often used in the sense of areas outside the capital city, or sometimes a small town.  I don't think Scotland had such arrangements in government terms. Mind you it's often said that "Britain" was a province of the Roman Empire so the word may derive from those days. Let's get back to the fitba chat!  A swede would be a "turnup" for the books?