Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

That's now 18 points away from home. The best thing about is that their work rate and pressing is now superb. Keiran Millar is 100% improved/Kurtis Roberts has a kind of Gerrard (!) enthusiasm and runs himself into the ground. Even McKay does the dirty stuff and he has found a front three who must lose pounds during a game.  The last 14 derbies against the rovers has seen only one home win (Us) so I hope we can keep that sword ready. If Gallagher is out injured for safety reasons then I might just put Roy in there.

I’ll be honest - I’d like to see Roy maybe get the full 90 mins and get a couple of goals. I know he’s being used mainly as a sub right now but a full game with goals could help him as a player. And if Gallagher ever did miss a couple of games through injury we need to have some added firepower ready. That’s the only thing that worries me as the season goes along, who does the key jobs if players miss from injury or suspension? Not complaining, loving the work rate and commitment but hoping Murray has an eye on transfers for January

Delighted just to look at the table and see us top.  Strong defence and took our chances.  Something that wouldn't have happened some weeks ago.  At times today we were playing against a very onesided referee too. I'd agree with giving ally roy some game time if gal doesn't make next week. He was through on goal twice today it took a good save from their goalie and the other he seemed to change his mind when one on one .  Hard fought 3 points.  Just shows really how even this league is.  We haven't been in this position for a while so we deserve to milk the status of being top for a while.  Stranrar threw everything forward in the last 20 mins and in the 1st few games of the season we would probably have caved.  Looks like a different team. Playing with confidence and now have belief that we can hold on to a lead.  Starting the same 11 each week is paying off in points. Now we just have the small matter of keeping this run going.  The more of us at coatbridge nextweek to cheer the boys on could maybe help with a wee cup run too.  Yet another happy day to be a diamond. 

Thanks To Chapelhall Chap and the others for comments on today's game. Down in North Yorkshire, so appreciate the reports.

His 1960's Academy education just edges it in the reporting stakes.

Looking forward to the Rovers game. 

Edited by Elgindiamond
Finger problem

5 minutes ago, Elgindiamond said:

Thanks To Chapelhall Chap and the others for comments on today's game. Down in North Yorkshire, so appreciate the reports.

His 1960's Academy education just edges it in the reporting stakes.

Looking forward to the Rovers game. Hi guy

At one remove, the reports are so much better than some of the actual game but that would be churlish. Hope the floods have not affected North Yorkshire and you come home safely. Yes it was a good education , it's just my football skills were less impressive than so many others. Would be good to get to next round but want to avoid any visit to the OF twins.

Good,  if not a pretty result today .  Thought the the build up to the first goal was  excellent - nice passing at the beginning of the move, some dig to keep possession and a strikers finish. Second goal - Leon McCann's cross was first rate and Dale Carrack, who had worked his socks off all day, with a lovely finish.  Great team effort overall.

Regarding the Rovers game - I wouldn't  get too gallus - if Gallagher is fit I would play him and the same starting 11 as today. I wouldn't try and be too clever with team selection .  A good cup run could mean some nice cash. Lets keep it going.

23 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Good,  if not a pretty result today .  Thought the the build up to the first goal was  excellent - nice passing at the beginning of the move, some dig to keep possession and a strikers finish. Second goal - Leon McCann's cross was first rate and Dale Carrack, who had worked his socks off all day, with a lovely finish.  Great team effort overall.

Regarding the Rovers game - I wouldn't  get too gallus - if Gallagher is fit I would play him and the same starting 11 as today. I wouldn't try and be too clever with team selection .  A good cup run could mean some nice cash. Lets keep it going.

Totally, a win and a big cup draw like last year could be the difference between a few extra signings in January or not which could make all the difference.

Obviously if Gallagher is injured then fine, but most of us have moaned about Murray not getting a settled team before. Now we have one the last thing we should be doing is trying to be too smart and changing the team up.

The next 3 games in particular could give us a real lift and belief that we can challenge for the title. Beat the Rovers and a good draw in the next round and I’d be delighted with four points from East Fife and Raith. Important few weeks coming up and it’s great to be excited about big games rather than hoping to scrape something from them.

I forgot to say that McKay was pulled up twice by the standside lino for his foot being in the pitch at his long throws. On the highlights you can just see  the farside lino missing it from a foot away. What is the rule about throw ins? Release ball before stepping on pitch? So many foul throws these days and stealing yards I thought  they'd just ignored it. Maybe need to revisit tactics?

As much as I love a cup run, the league has to be our number 1 focus and to lose one of our starters to a daft injury when it could be avoided could be criminal! I’d rotate the team 

As much as I love a cup run, the league has to be our number 1 focus and to lose one of our starters to a daft injury when it could be avoided could be criminal! I’d rotate the team 

Interesting question.. what should Murray do here? Rotate some players and save some of the first team to be ready for the upcoming league fixtures? I really don’t care about a cup run but would love to cash in on an Old Firm draw. I’ll be honest, I won’t be too upset if a couple of changes are made this weekend but back to the regular team for league business

On 16/11/2019 at 13:11, Diamond Oracle said:

With the potential of us being top of the table come 4:45 should we beat Stranraer, can any stattos figure out when we were last top of the league after 14 games?

The last time I can recollect being top in mid November was in season 2001/02 the Ian McCall season,    The end of that season saw our demise...

3 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Interesting question.. what should Murray do here? Rotate some players and save some of the first team to be ready for the upcoming league fixtures? I really don’t care about a cup run but would love to cash in on an Old Firm draw. I’ll be honest, I won’t be too upset if a couple of changes are made this weekend but back to the regular team for league business

Don't want to repeat last February though, the form slump following the Celtic game proved to be fatal to our playoff hopes, losing three "winnable" matches and drawing one 

Yeah think we definitely rotate a bit, Roy and Wedderburn are likely to get a start.

I'm not sure what's going on with Eckersley, I assume he's injured, but this would have been ideal to give him a game too.

Problem is that I'm not sure our other attacking players can carry out the role that Carrick and Smith have been doing the last few weeks, so Hawkshaw may struggle.

10 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

I get the point about cashing but the way we were treated like many other away fans at Celtic Park, will keep me away from that ground and I don't fancy Ibrox either. Maybe wait to get one of them in the final. I would keep the same team barring injuries and who would drop out for Wedderburn, without whom we have been much improved? 

I would much rather get smaller teams in the cup and try and progress through. Then get someone like motherwell or hearts away later in the cup and get a good day out

There really has been a few questions brought up here. With Scott gal coming back from injury and having played him in the cup game against bohemians does he get to play and rest Hutton? Do we go with eckersly with young McCann playing so well in recent weeks? Does big nat deserve his chance and rest McKay or Millar? Does ally roy get a start and rest Callum gal?  Does dunfermline and Hamilton have a say to avoid Smith and McCann being cup tied if they return to their clubs in new year?  In terms of the cup in general. Do we hope for a premier team to make a few quid or get an away game against a team we haven't been to for a while? Or hope for a few games against lower league teams and maybe advance a few rounds.  Personally I dont really care what happens in the cup as long as we win this Saturday.  I dont think I'd change to much with the team but really have to be careful as the rovers will be giving it everything.  The promising youngsters as we were told haven't exactly been lighting up the reserve league but we will undoubtedly need some to come in to the 1st team to cover injury or suspension.  Lots of questions that will only be answered in terms of what the management team want at the end of the season.  I'll be looking more at the league table than the cup draws but like most of us that could change if we get Motherwell away.  

2 hours ago, WeAllDreamOfATeamOfAndyRyans said:

Personally I’d continue playing the same side that’s won 4 in a row so far, don’t see the point in losing momentum with a winning lineup , would only change the team if players have injury Concerns ie Gallagher

Agree with this ,we don't have strength in depth ,we have taken long enough to find our best team leave it until like other teams we are forced into  it .

I would keep the same team barring injury or loan players (Smith and McCann) being unable to play. Eckersley has a rib injury and Scott Gallacher picked up another injury in a reserve match too. Ideally we'll put the game to bed early (famous last words) and can bring on some subs fairly early into the game.