The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

If the club had said at the start of the season they were creating a family section nobody would have thought much of it. The fact that the statement has come after the worst performance of the season at the end of which, the DoF exchanged words with an angry supporter in what is part of the newly created family section says it all.

7 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

If the club had said at the start of the season they were creating a family section nobody would have thought much of it. The fact that the statement has come after the worst performance of the season at the end of which, the DoF exchanged words with an angry supporter in what is part of the newly created family section says it all.

Anything to take the attention away from the performances on the park ,they should be thankful that there is still some fans that come along to the games and pay to watch what has been some dire performances .

I don't want to be pedantic but I am waiting with bated breath for the comments from the players and management on social media channels regarding the family section, as stated at bottom of the statement on the official site.

If the club has any kind of common sense they won’t bother, I don’t think being spoken down to by management and players will do anything to diffuse things. Not sure why the club is set on driving a wedge between itself and the diehards that still remain...

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I don't want to be pedantic but I am waiting with bated breath for the comments from the players and management on social media channels regarding the family section, as stated at bottom of the statement on the official site.

I've also been waiting on this but as she who dares says, I don't think it would be wise for them to do so.

It was clear to me that the owner wanted total control of the club, hence how quickly the other directors and Trust were shipped out, but clearly he has gone up a gear and now wants total control of the fans too. 

11 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Don't see any problem having a Family Section. Indeed there is an argument that the club should have done it before - numerous clubs have either a Famly Section or Family Stand. If that encourages more families and children along then surely that's a good thing? 

Me neither, if it is done properly with proper planning. Not a reactionary, huffy response a quarter of the way through a season.

It would be more effective and easier to hand out ear plugs to any child who looks like they may be offended.

All this talk of personal abuse is nonsense. Questioning someones tactics or ability is all part of the game and happens in every football ground across the world. I haven’t seen anything that has overstepped the mark (I didn’t see the Wedderburn incident and the Millar incident at the weekend sounds like it was ridiculous). I grew up watching players run for it at full time back into the pavilion when results went against us! Night and day from that!

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

It would be more effective and easier to hand out ear plugs to any child who looks like they may be offended.

All this talk of personal abuse is nonsense. Questioning someones tactics or ability is all part of the game and happens in every football ground across the world. I haven’t seen anything that has overstepped the mark (I didn’t see the Wedderburn incident and the Millar incident at the weekend sounds like it was ridiculous). I grew up watching players run for it at full time back into the pavilion when results went against us! Night and day from that!

Who here has seriously heard any fan reasonably question tactics or performances during a match?  It just doesn't happen. It doesn't happen because it's a passionate game and more often than not passion will bring out some stronger language, and it's not a forum for debate so making an intelligent point is utterly worthless. Hence fans will shout things like "this is fucking shite get it changed" or "He's shite get him off". If someone shouted at me "you're fucking shite" I'd probably take it as personal abuse. Does it overstep the mark? I don't think it does, but that all comes down to personal opinion. You also find that when players eventually snap and start shouting back at their fans, it's the fans again who take the high ground and say the player shouldn't react.  

Players are absolutely abused, week in, week out. I've heard some ridiculous shouts in my time supporting Dumbarton, I've watched our manager Gerry McCabe offer a fan a square go in the car park over it, I've watched Scott Bannerman nearly leave the field of play to stick the nut on a fan who abused him, I've even watched some of our fans throw a fucking drumstick at a former club captain and club legend. I'm honestly amazed if Airdrie fans don't hear/see similar stuff when they travel round the country.

I firmly believe that the whole situation is the result of the disappointment and utter frustration felt by the majority of the fans at the moment. Ian Murray and the board however are probably looking at the situation and wondering what our gripe is, sitting fourth in the table with barely a quarter of the season gone.

From my perspective and many others however I do not see this current setup getting anywhere near the playoffs this season. I have been to every single game and remain utterly disillusioned by the tactics and the team selections.

We appear at times to be playing with eight outfield defenders and two attackers who hope to hit on the break. We only seem to be positive in nature when we go a goal behind.

Almost every other side has been better in terms of their movement and ability to hold the ball and create chances. We are in a very tight league in terms of ability but as usual the teams who gain promotion are usually the ones with the most potent forward line. On this point we look to be miles behind, particularly when your top scorer is on the bench or out on the wing. Therein lies the frustration part, the fans can see the obvious solutions…why can’t the management?

It seems far easier to deal with the fans anger and frustration by treating them like children and telling them to behave!

The club might like to remember that whilst it is football they are still in the ‘entertainment’ business where disapproval and ‘heckling’ are the norm.

This is actually nothing new, I can remember my old seaon ticket book ffom the 1970s and printed on the back cover was a statement along the lines of "spectators are requested not to shout at or barack the players"  Of course we didn;t pay a blind bit of notice to that

I've also been waiting on this but as she who dares says, I don't think it would be wise for them to do so.

It was clear to me that the owner wanted total control of the club, hence how quickly the other directors and Trust were shipped out, but clearly he has gone up a gear and now wants total control of the fans too. 

Yeah, dangerous game that, picking and choosing your customers. Especially when you don’t have many to start with.

Even if this isn’t connected with recent arguments, anyone who isn’t an idiot would know that this timing sucks.

I can imagine certain bolshie Airdrie fans congregating in a boo boys area and taking pride in the fact.

31 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

I firmly believe that the whole situation is the result of the disappointment and utter frustration felt by the majority of the fans at the moment. Ian Murray and the board however are probably looking at the situation and wondering what our gripe is, sitting fourth in the table with barely a quarter of the season gone.

From my perspective and many others however I do not see this current setup getting anywhere near the playoffs this season. I have been to every single game and remain utterly disillusioned by the tactics and the team selections.

We appear at times to be playing with eight outfield defenders and two attackers who hope to hit on the break. We only seem to be positive in nature when we go a goal behind.

Almost every other side has been better in terms of their movement and ability to hold the ball and create chances. We are in a very tight league in terms of ability but as usual the teams who gain promotion are usually the ones with the most potent forward line. On this point we look to be miles behind, particularly when your top scorer is on the bench or out on the wing. Therein lies the frustration part, the fans can see the obvious solutions…why can’t the management?

It seems far easier to deal with the fans anger and frustration by treating them like children and telling them to behave!

The club might like to remember that whilst it is football they are still in the ‘entertainment’ business where disapproval and ‘heckling’ are the norm.

Couldn't agree more Dex. We've started slowly in most games (only 1 league goal in the first half hour this season) and start matches very defensively. We've also only got 1 win from our 5 home league games so far. This is obviously frustrating for supporters.

The reality is that most teams would take a point when they come to us - so instead of aimlessly throwing extra strikers on, losing any shape we have and trying to chase games why aren't we setting up to have a bit more threat from the word go? I'd just about understand if it was bringing results but it's not.

A lot of posts on Facebook about what went on on sat ,although abuse is not acceptable anywhere it really has caused quite a stir ,will it put fans off coming ,I would not think so ,as the fan base is mostly the diehards ,if they do stop coming we are in serious trouble ,lack of fans and lack of noise means the least thing can be heard ,after all it is a football game not a Sunday school outing ,Cursing and  swearing is not right ,but it not just started on sat ,would welcome every one laughing and cheering every sat  but that's not going to happen they way we are performing on the park ,so if you can just give us a bit more on the park  you will find the shouting at team and players will stop, just like it has done for a very lot of years it's football .

A lot of posts on Facebook about what went on on sat ,although abuse is not acceptable anywhere it really has caused quite a stir ,will it put fans off coming ,I would not think so ,as the fan base is mostly the diehards ,if they do stop coming we are in serious trouble ,lack of fans and lack of noise means the least thing can be heard ,after all it is a football game not a Sunday school outing ,Cursing and  swearing is not right ,but it not just started on sat ,would welcome every one laughing and cheering every sat  but that's not going to happen they way we are performing on the park ,so if you can just give us a bit more on the park  you will find the shouting at team and players will stop, just like it has done for a very lot of years it's football .

Bit of shouting and swearing is OK in my opinion - most people know where the line is and don’t cross it. I’m prone to the odd oh FFS but do not abuse the manager or players.

2 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

Bit of shouting and swearing is OK in my opinion - most people know where the line is and don’t cross it. I’m prone to the odd oh FFS but do not abuse the manager or players.

Your  right ,a couple of wins and  will stop.we are maybe bad at times but we could be loud in the right way as I recall at Alloa not so long ago .

28 minutes ago, Stevo1968 said:

Result and team predictions for tomorrow then? Interesting to see how much of a say Colin Cameron will have

Never mind the bollloks,   The big question is will  they play a Little respect by Erasure over the sound system at half time......