The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

How many full-time players do Airdrie have on the books? I'm sure I saw a number recently that was in the 30s, but I may be wrong on that. If so, that seems like a hellish waste of funds that could be invested in better first team players.

From the outside the whole Millar thing seems an odd setup tbh. I recently asked on here what he actually done and the general concensus was that he scouted for players, helped with recruitment and acted as a link between the management and the board. I just don't understand why a full-time manager at this level needs a director of football, it seems like another waste of funds and I'm sure Murray could do a lot of the work himself.

FWIW If Murray is playing Calum Gallagher out wide someone needs to give him a shake. That's a sackable offence on it's own.

31 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I think now is as good a time as any to start judging the manager and the team.  I always said I'd wait until a quarter of the way through the season before forming a proper informed decision on what I'd seen.

I REALLY want Murray to succeed, every other club at some point seems to strike it lucky with a "young" hungry manager with a point to prove eg Mixu at Cowden, Hartley at Alloa, Goodwin at Alloa, Hopkins at Livi and Murray at Dumbarton just to name a few recently.  We're long overdue a slice of luck in this department, and I thought this could have been the one that got us a wee glimmer of hope.

When IM came in, he solidified a leaky defence, Crighton who looked like he had never kicked a ball under Findlay, completely transformed and he plugged the gaps to get us over the line and just miss out on the playoffs.  I always thought after the bad start/recruitment of last year the playoffs would have been miles away anyway but that AGAIN should have been a foundation to build on.  We know IM can organise a defence, but its becoming apparently clear he cant plan an attack, which is the polar opposite from his Dumbarton days Im led to believe.

Recruitment this time has been (IMO) as bizarre as last time.  Guys being signed on full time deals with little chance of making a first team appearance, 1 recognised goal scorer (being played out wide) 1 hardworking striker who will do the donkey work for a partner, playing up front himself.  Signings like Wedderburn & Roy who offer absolutely zero (again IMO). I will concede he's had a slight bit of bad luck with the boy O'Reilly and Thomson and injuries as they looked like proper wingers, but the fact remains that without them, there is NO naturally wide replacements, another thing that should have been addressed maybe rather than signing another 3 central midfielders for the reserves.

The thing that gets me though, is we can turn in performances like the first half of the Hamilton cup game, where that was as good a half of football from an Airdrie team in a long time to the full 90 in the Raith game which was eyebleedingly bad.

Murray needs to quickly settle with an XI and stick with it, its getting ridiculous now with all this chopping and changing.

Another full time wage for Cameron ,we have not looked as good  and hungry as any part time club in our league,or league below us as sat proved .

My understanding is that Millar is there because Hetherington who lets be honest is ‘the board’ is very much in the background and doesn’t know anything about running a football club. Problem is though, Millar has got too pally with Murray in my opinion.

53 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

My understanding is that Millar is there because Hetherington who lets be honest is ‘the board’ is very much in the background and doesn’t know anything about running a football club. Problem is though, Millar has got too pally with Murray in my opinion.

Calm down and show some respect 🤪

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

How many full-time players do Airdrie have on the books? I'm sure I saw a number recently that was in the 30s, but I may be wrong on that. If so, that seems like a hellish waste of funds that could be invested in better first team players.

From the outside the whole Millar thing seems an odd setup tbh. I recently asked on here what he actually done and the general concensus was that he scouted for players, helped with recruitment and acted as a link between the management and the board. I just don't understand why a full-time manager at this level needs a director of football, it seems like another waste of funds and I'm sure Murray could do a lot of the work himself.

FWIW If Murray is playing Calum Gallagher out wide someone needs to give him a shake. That's a sackable offence on it's own.

We currently have a "squad" of 35 players,  of which 3 are loanees,  8 are Part Time including our 2 first choice keepers,  The 8 Part Time players are primarily first team players,  a further 8 Full Time players are part of the first team match day squad.  The remaining 16 roughly are part of the reserve squad and are highly rated players for the future....

I hope that answers the first part of your question..

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Airdrie's recruitment in the summer seemed to bring in a lot of players who've been established at this level but never been the focal point of their teams. Players like Wedderburn and Smith are good examples of this. Eckersley was an excellent signing, but even before the season started I didn't think Airdrie would be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. With Rovers also being a hybrid outfit, it's natural to compare the clubs but I feel we've utterly blown Airdrie away with our recruitment in the Summer. A lot of our players have come back into the club for a return stint, but the new players we did sign have generally all been superb. 

To move forward, I think Airdrie need to have a clear out. Clubs at this level don't need a reserve outfit. Cut down and invest in the first team and try to build a full outfit rather than a squad full of players who have struggled to make an impact. 

9 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Airdrie's recruitment in the summer seemed to bring in a lot of players who've been established at this level but never been the focal point of their teams. Players like Wedderburn and Smith are good examples of this. Eckersley was an excellent signing, but even before the season started I didn't think Airdrie would be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. With Rovers also being a hybrid outfit, it's natural to compare the clubs but I feel we've utterly blown Airdrie away with our recruitment in the Summer. A lot of our players have come back into the club for a return stint, but the new players we did sign have generally all been superb. 

To move forward, I think Airdrie need to have a clear out. Clubs at this level don't need a reserve outfit. Cut down and invest in the first team and try to build a full outfit rather than a squad full of players who have struggled to make an impact. 

The new players we signed have been Superb , have I picked you up wrong ,superb some of them are not good enough for this league, Other points in my opinion you are spot on , 

Hilariously pathetic announcement from the club this morning. I'm not one for launching abuse but if you think for one second that this is how you address the issue you are either naive or mental.

Needlessly alienating sections of a long suffering fanbase isn't the way to build your support.

Seems like something a thin skinned megalomaniac would do.

I once saw a Senior Tory minister totally shamed at a police conference when the audience that were openly hostile to his policies sat in absolute silence at the end of his speech, no barracking or abuse, but the message of total dissatisfaction got through loud and clear.  If we are not allowed to vocally criticise the manager and team then give them silence a tthe end of the match.

Having the fans direct their feelings at the manager and players was part and parcel of being involved in football, did it many times at Broomfield when we would gather a tthe pavillion end of the terracing to vent our fury (Jackie Stewart comes immediately to mind).   Seems to be that the club is being populated now by a bunch of snowflakes

On 13/10/2019 at 13:13, CapitalDiamond said:

In defence of Millar, he was responding to someone screaming at him this is rubbish, get him [Murray] sacked. He should just have walked back into the Directors box, there was nothing he could have said at that point which would have calmed things and saying “be respectful” only antagonised a fan who was already (understandably) fuming.

On recruitment, when I interviewed Millar, the suggestion was that no player would be brought in that Murray didn’t want but Millar would be able to assist by giving a view on targets that Murray may not have seen while in Norway. No idea if that’s what happened in practice. At Stranraer, my understanding is that when the Shit hit the fan Millar was brought back in to move guys on for cash and help get players in which they did as a club very well.

I agree 100% with you on what you’ve expressed in terms of criticism of the recruitment and what you’ve said earlier in terms of the bloated squad and reserve team. I’m just not clear who’s decision it was to run those squads.

Completely disheartened by yesterday. A miserable performance, a headache from the PA system being set at torture volume level, zero positives to take away and the listening to a manager who though we dominated the game.

We’re in the mix in the league, but I’m not sure any of us has confidence that we can do anything this season.

My reaction to that is 'what is the point in him then?'. If he's signing players that Murray wanted anyway then he is irrelevant. And if he's signing players Murray doesn't want then that is also not a good situation. Either way there is no benefit. I know you could say perhaps he is identifying targets that Murray wouldn't have, but the performances on the park show that either that is not the case, or it is the case in which case Millar cannot judge a player. Again, either way I don't get the need.

It seems from the outside that the club are expanding and trying to run it more professionally - large squad, hybrid model, Director or Football, new assistant. I hesitate to criticise that as it is probably well intentioned, but I just feel they are over complicating things. That is stuff you do if you are maybe top half of the Championship, feel like you have maxed out with your current set up and want to push on.  That is not us, we are stuck in League One on crowds of 600-700. Every available penny needs spent on buying an effective first team squad and a manager who can get us out the league. If you look at sides like Arbroath, Alloa, Dumbarton etc who have gone up in recent years it's been a pretty simple formula.

Like Moon mentioned, I worry where the money is coming from and at the moment it looks like with our team we are going to finish 5th or 6th again, but will have invested a hell of a lot of money in doing so.

How are Macdonald and Victoria getting on (genuine question as I haven’t paid much attention)?
MacDonald has been a surprise I thought he'd be worse than he was but he is a good threat, and in spite of what we had been told, has a decent delivery.

Joao has been injured for the most part. He'll happily take players on but then fail to show a cutting edge. He's probably quite far down the ranks now as a result of his injury problems.

Hilariously pathetic announcement from the club this morning. I'm not one for launching abuse but if you think for one second that this is how you address the issue you are either naive or mental.

Needlessly alienating sections of a long suffering fanbase isn't the way to build your support.

Seems like something a thin skinned megalomaniac would do.

Have we received a clear definition of what kind of language constitutes abuse?

I usually put my head in my hands each time we lose another goal from a corner.

Will the stewards chuck me out for that display of passive aggression.