The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

To lose 1goal away from home seems ok .but that will be enough to beat us ,midfield  and upfront are proving to be the worst in the league .and apart fromm some 18 years old manager has brought in what planet is he on .1good old fashioned center half a decent midfielder and  1 decent striker required immediately or we are down 

Worst Airdrie team they have seen in 35years,never seen a Airdrie with less fight,that was a couple of comments from Raith fans,Yes they had a lot more pace and mostly better players ,with what I saw they will need a better team aswell if they do happen to get up through play offs  ,will they get past East -Fife don't think so .not as if they won  4 or 5nil against us.

8 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

We’ve still to play Brechin, Stenny and Stranraer. And you can’t look at the remaining games and honestly say you fancy us to win ANY of them!

On current form, automatic relegation looms. Hopefully we can turn it around and do enough to stay in this league. Worrying times.

Perhaps relegation may not be a bad thing?  We have stagnated in this league for several years and have never really looked like getting out,   A good run in division two might give the momentum to return to the upper leagues

Perhaps relegation may not be a bad thing?  We have stagnated in this league for several years and have never really looked like getting out,   A good run in division two might give the momentum to return to the upper leagues

We would end up stagnating in League 2!

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

I’d suspect the sums don’t add up in Division 2. 

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's not really true though is it? He clearly thinks the current squad are hopeless and has tried to bring in players to address this. However we don't have the resources to bring in anything other than loan players. Unfortunately they aren't very good. Bizarrely, if he actually hadn't tried to improve the team I think we'd be slightly better off as the 'known quantity' of proven League One players (admittedly not very good ones) like Robertson, Miller, Stewart, Gallagher are probably a better bet at this point than boys on loan who look lost and have no investment. That is the dilemma for Murray until the end of the season, does he go for experience or does he persevere with young loanees, who may turn out to be decent players but aren't really going to change much over 8 games.

And we are more organised, the back 3 has been a good move and we don't look like conceding too many. The issue is we have no midfield and no threat from out wide. Our strikers aren't very good either but in fairness they get nothing to work with. Since Murray has brought in Glass and tried to play a bit of football we've been worse off. Our mini run of form came when McIntosh was up front, missed out the midfield and just went direct and played off second balls. I'd be looking to bring back a couple of the more experienced guys, go direct and play from there. There is not a chance that we are going to be able to play our way out of this by playing football. We are solid enough at the back that if we can just get more of the game played in the final third then we will get some goals, at the moment the ball isn't even reaching that far up the pitch.

I agree with this although I sadly suspect that our upturn in form also had something to do with the Celtic game and the players wanting to be on the tele. 

RE the loan players, I don't think Campbell is much worse than Millar or Gallagher but out the three of them I'd have Gallagher in the team. Glass has no impact on the game at all. I'd rather have Wilkie in there, who was also part of the team during our relative run of form, even though I'm not sure Wilkie is reliable over a whole 90 minutes or able to play more than two games without picking up a knock. Houston is so anonymous you couldn't even call him dire. Looks bereft of confidence too. I'd actually like to see us give Glass a shot out wide. I'm pretty sure that's where he played when he came on against Celtic and he did a lovely pirouette to get by the Celtic player which automatically makes it his biggest contribution in a diamond. 

I'd also agree that we are much better organised than we were under Findlay. I'm not sure if it's still the case but at one point under Murray, we had one of the best goals against record in the league which is probably the best manifestation of that. I don't necessarily enjoy it but being organised, and relying on our defence, is how we will win most of our points. Because unfortunately, we're still utterly toothless going forward. Relying on long balls to McIntosh and playing for and winning 2nd balls is, unfortunately, our best tactic at this point. 

Roll on the end of the season.

12 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Our fans said this when we were dropping out the Championship. What a laugh it's been.

OK I bow to the general opinion that we do not want relegation, I don't particularly relish it myself, but  I just do not see how we get out of the mess that we are continually in, we just seem to lurch from one crisis to another.

13 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Perhaps relegation may not be a bad thing?  We have stagnated in this league for several years and have never really looked like getting out,   A good run in division two might give the momentum to return to the upper leag

13 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

Maybe we should drop the lonees for sat bring in our own players ,give them a boost see how it goes ,don't think it will be any worse ,at least they will be playing for their jobs,some one our players although not good will be better at the moment than the loan  boys ,

12 hours ago, Diamond legend said:

I have supported Airdrie for over 60 years I have just about had enough to survive at this level is an absolute disgrace If we get relegated I will not be back to watch this standard of football.

Same here friend and watched some of the best in a diamond jersey and nowadays some of the worst and when our board backed Findlay to the hilt their lack of football knowledge and misplaced trust has led us to the abyss. The deafening  silence form the board and our chairman who told us pre season that any player not giving 100% will not be there has conned us with jargon patter  and any club facing the problem we have would be looking for a striker who could pull us out of the hole we are in which we haven't had this season since Andy left!

Unfortunately we have had several 'New' starts with the Ballantynes and now with the current board which has come to nothing is there anyone with football acumen among them ?

or is division 2 exactly where we should be albeit without Diamond Legend and myself. Even the wee Rovers show more determination,fight and courage than our sorry lot against all the odds!