The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

9 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

Genuinely think Kerr might be the answer, 3 goals in 2 games for the reserves aswell so obviously got an eye for goal

I was saying the other week I thought he'd make a decent holding midfielder. He's comfortable on the ball, Forfar f**kup a side. Problem is we're already overloaded in that position.

Also, I like Callum Smith but I don't think he should be played through the middle. He doesn't strike me as a prolific enough goalscorer. For me he'd be better out wide.

26 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

Shit news about Bury yesterday. I was a nipper at the time but I seem to remember getting them in the Anglo-Scottish cup and assuming we’d win easily, only to see the exact opposite happening.

This article on the BBC website made me chuckle though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49479847  "a massive football club and a massive football heritage".  My arse!

2 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

This article on the BBC website made me chuckle though. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49479847  "a massive football club and a massive football heritage".  My arse!

Who do they think they are...  Clyde???

5 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Shit news about Bury yesterday. I was a nipper at the time but I seem to remember getting them in the Anglo-Scottish cup and assuming we’d win easily, only to see the exact opposite happening.

Yes, lost 4-2 at home and 1-0 away. Pretty sure they were bottom of Division 4 at the time and we were in the Premier League.

7 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

Yes, lost 4-2 at home and 1-0 away. Pretty sure they were bottom of Division 4 at the time and we were in the Premier League.

They had Neville Southall in goals and his autobiography is very dismissive of the Anglo Scottish cup. We were well beaten by them as I remember it. Might also be the season when Chesterfield beat the old Rangers.  Never nice to see clubs go under but there can be resurrections ( Accrington Stanley/AFC Wimbledon)  and we are one?

Hutton

MacDonald Fordyce Crighton McCann 

Thomson Hawkshaw/Reilly Roberts Carrick 

Gallagher Smith

Subs - McKay, Kerr, Wedderburn, Roy, Gallacher/McNeil, Hawkshaw/Reilly, Millar/Cowan. 

Would like to see us drop both Wedderburn and Millar and just go for it. Hawkshaw and Roberts would both give us a lot more energy and creativity. The other boy from Accies, Reilly, is a midfielder too so he might be worth a punt. Can't see both of them being dropped though, at least one of them will be starting. If both are starting I'm gonna work myself into all sorts of shoots. Apart from the midfield, revert back to the back 4 and play Gallagher and Smith (our two best forwards) upfront please. 

Hutton

Gallagher Smith

Subs - McKay, Kerr, Wedderburn, Roy, Gallacher/McNeil, Hawkshaw/Reilly, Millar/Cowan. 

Would like to see us drop both Wedderburn and Millar and just go for it. Hawkshaw and Roberts would both give us a lot more energy and creativity. The other boy from Accies, Reilly, is a midfielder too so he might be worth a punt. Can't see both of them being dropped though, at least one of them will be starting. If both are starting I'm gonna work myself into all sorts of shoots. Apart from the midfield, revert back to the back 4 and play Gallagher and Smith (our two best forwards) upfront please. 

McDonald?After Saturday you having a laugh?[emoji23]

44 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

McDonald?After Saturday you having a laugh?emoji23.png

Looking at that side it is bang average,  no consistent goals in the entire team,  massive game on saturday.  The one change which I think will happen in the coming weeks Scott Gallagher to replace David Hutton between the sticks.  Hutton has struggled this season and IMO Gallagher is a better keeper.

1 hour ago, Spanish Armada said:

I'll give you that he was at fault for the second goal but the first came from one other guy, and the others down the left hand side of our defence on Saturday. (All scored by midfielders) If we don't include him for that  there are several others who would also drop out-Wedderburn prominently and of course the Manager who was really the guilty man with his tactics and formation in first 20 minutes. The team shown may well be bang average but that sums up much of our squad.

Hutton

Gallagher Smith

McKay over MacDonald for me and I think a midfield pairing of Roberts and Hawkshaw against Falkirk would be madness. Wedderburn may not have covered himself in glory last weekend but realistically either him or Millar has to play. Would like to see Hawkshaw get more game time but I can't see how he fits into a 442 other than out wide. Arguably too lightweight to play in a central pair and I see him as more of an attacking midfielder you'd play just behind the striker. As for Reilly he's a 17 year old that I know next to nothing about. Must have got him on loan for a reason but I'm not shouting for him to be starting games yet. Gallagher and Smith up front is a must imo and I wouldn't mind seeing Carrick on the left but what's wrong with Euan O'Reilly? He's an actual winger as opposed to playing strikers there.

14 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

McKay over MacDonald for me and I think a midfield pairing of Roberts and Hawkshaw against Falkirk would be madness. Wedderburn may not have covered himself in glory last weekend but realistically either him or Millar has to play. Would like to see Hawkshaw get more game time but I can't see how he fits into a 442 other than out wide. Arguably too lightweight to play in a central pair and I see him as more of an attacking midfielder you'd play just behind the striker. As for Reilly he's a 17 year old that I know next to nothing about. Must have got him on loan for a reason but I'm not shouting for him to be starting games yet. Gallagher and Smith up front is a must imo and I wouldn't mind seeing Carrick on the left but what's wrong with Euan O'Reilly? He's an actual winger as opposed to playing strikers there.

O Reilly is out with a groin injury and could be long term, I am sure it said he was being sent back to St Johnstone for intensive treatment.    Are we still in the market for players or has that ship sailed until January.

2 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:

I wasn't there on Saturday and haven't bothered to watch the 'highlights' so can't comment on his performance. Not sure we're that flush with many other options there though. McKay is fine but isn't a proper full-back.