The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

18 hours ago, AFC1878 said:
48 minutes ago, waysider said:

Point 1 well made.

Point 2 I have no confidence in Murray but it’s ridiculous to sack a manager this early. My overall view of him is that ultimately he’s not the answer for reasons I’ve explained but I don’t agree with sacking managers this early..

It's is a bit worrying when he changes team every week ,it's like he is grabbing at straws ,get some pace on the wings ,leave Wedderburn on the bench ,not a gamble when we are not playing well most of the time as someone said Hamilton first half we were flying ,second half the wings came off ,get up to Montrose bit of noise and we will win by a few goals ,Smith ,Gallagher or Russell up top or all three we would win ,apart from trying to build team round Wedderburn it just not going to happen ,we have to shore up else where ,who was marking Jackson for the opener no one ,had the manager not heard of him ,

Could be off the mark but I get the impression that Wedderburn is the 1st name on the team sheet and Murray will pick/organise the team around him. It’s unlikely therefore that he would be dropped. 

He can pass a ball can't close down opposition to slow lies to deep can't jump bring in Roberts for a bit of aggression after Watching recording of Wedderburn in playoffs for Raith he was their week link Raith a Dunfermline fans were not sorry to see him leave.

I’m confused by a couple of points you’ve made.
1. You say the club hit us with propaganda every time we signed a player by saying they were good. Did you expect them to say they were shite or just bang average? Find me a club that doesn’t sign a player because they think they’ll be a good addition.
2. You’re not shouting for Murray to be sacked, yet you’re ‘certain’ he isn’t the man to get us promoted? Slightly contradicting don’t you think? So You’ll back him even though you know he won’t get us promoted?
Murray is he best manager we’ve had in a long time and with Stuart Millar supporting him, I am confident we will do well this season. So we lost the first game. Wish we’d won but I’ve seen us play so much better before Saturday and I’m confident we will see a winning team soon. 

I think Murray will be a good manager I still don't think he knows his best team or formation it takes at least 6 games for a new team to knit.

For us to play any better we’re needing a new park, every time there’s a decent pitch or it’s wet we play well...
other teams seem to adapt to our pitch better than we do which is confusing 

Pitch is done. It was laid in 2010 and has an average 10 year lifespan so should be getting replaced at the end of this season. That said, the pitch is tested by FIFA at the start of every season and it just passed and no more. Extra rubber crumb had to be spread in the areas of the pitch which were most worn eg the goalmouths for impact purposes. Other pitches which were laid after ours have already been replaced.

Couldn’t help but notice how run down the stadium was looking on Saturday as well. The black tarpaulins are unsightly and have the ability to swallow up the ball it would seem. And the ‘ball stop’ netting doesn’t actually serve its purpose. Place could do with a lick of paint as well, especially the exit doors on the outside.

One positive however was the addition of a 3rd till at the kiosk. Wasn’t down at half-time though so couldn’t comment on whether it was utilised and made a difference.

Really disappointing as others have said. Additional points

Cowan and Roy had very poor games. So midfield was very poor and attacks coming in off the left were zilch. Also Eckersly was meh and at their second goal a bit better contact with the cross would have diverted it to safety

Thought Miller had a couple of chances to shoot in the 2nd half but looked for a pass; next time Kieran, take the shot.

54 minutes ago, goodwin said:

Thought Miller had a couple of chances to shoot in the 2nd half but looked for a pass; next time Kieran, take the shot.

That's one of the problems with the midfield we started with on Saturday. Last season Gallagher and Millar got one goal between them. Wedderburn and Millar have already matched that but realistically how many more are they going to get? I don't think I remember Millar ever having a shot at goal. Based on last season at Queen's Park we already know Roberts can strike a ball and score from long range which is presumably part of the reason why he was signed. Certainly much more of a goal threat than Wedderburn, Millar and probably Cowan to a lesser extent. 

2 minutes ago, dave_binos said:

Thoughts on Darryl Duffy? We’ve just signed him.

You can see he's still got a touch of class in and around the box. Scored 14 goals last season which I don't think was a  bad return in such a crap team. His legs are gone though so don't expect him to do much with or without the ball or put himself about outside the box. As well as having piss poor service I think that meant he struggled to create chances for himself too. If he's playing with guys that work hard and can lay chances on a plate for him he should do very well in League 2. And if you're familiar with Fortnite you're in for a 'treat' when he scores. Best of luck to him and Craig Truesdale and the other boys you signed from the reserves. 

Hope Jordan McGregor's dad isn't bothering your thread too much... 

3 hours ago, Stevo1968 said:

For us to play any better we’re needing a new park, every time there’s a decent pitch or it’s wet we play well...

other teams seem to adapt to our pitch better than we do which is confusing 

Somebody must have relaid Hamilton’s pitch at half time and used blow drier son it🤣🤣🤣

On 3 August 2019 at 23:31, Spanish Armada said:

ITS GAME 1 HARDLY A CRISIS FSemoji23.png

4 cup games ,and some friendlies  ,so it was not 1 game  had at least 6 games to get us sorted out  ,get to know players  ,you would think .all the training and Half a dozen games we would have put on a better show than on sat ,the time Jackson had to score the first goal he could have lit a fag then scored ,thought the keeper could maybe done better ,

Wonder what the stats on home results v away results are like over the time that we've been in the new stadium.

We seem to struggle regardless of the players or manager - in recent years at least.

4 cup games ,and some friendlies  ,so it was not 1 game  had at least 6 games to get us sorted out  ,get to know players  ,you would think .all the training and Half a dozen games we would have put on a better show than on sat ,the time Jackson had to score the first goal he could have lit a fag then scored ,thought the keeper could maybe done better ,

Quit moaning and back the team twat

Wonder what the stats on home results v away results are like over the time that we've been in the new stadium.

We seem to struggle regardless of the players or manager - in recent years at least.

I’m sure someone said we’ve only won 70-80 games there since we moved on here or FB

15 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Quit moaning and back the team twat

Twat bit strong  , just not got the tinted specs on now .I go and support the team as much as you and say my bit on here not on a sat .if that is a twat then so be it .

32 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

I’m sure someone said we’ve only won 70-80 games there since we moved on here or FB

so, 20 season say, at 18 games = 360

and don't know if the 70 or 80 include cup games.

14 hours ago, Moon said:

Only season recently I remember we done well at home over the course of the season was 2017/18. Think we'd only lost two home games for most of the season until the last month or so when we lost a few more to slightly skew that statistic out. Ironically that was the season with our worst ever league finish.