The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Someone has uploaded highlights of the Caley v Aridrie cup replay from 1990, not the best conditions but a classic orange ball.

Aye, was at the game ,snow pilled high on either side of road ,bit of a farce,worse when we got beat ,a long drive home but at least I got home ,I think gates got shut and road closed for a while ,worse than daft driving roughly 250 miles .

13 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, was at the game ,snow pilled high on either side of road ,bit of a farce,worse when we got beat ,a long drive home but at least I got home ,I think gates got shut and road closed for a while ,worse than daft driving roughly 250 miles .

I'm sure Airdrie hadn't lost at home for a year or something like that but needed an injury time equaliser in the first game to get the replay.

Some classic celebration singing from the Caley team :lol: 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure Airdrie hadn't lost at home for a year or something like that but needed an injury time equaliser in the first game to get the replay.

There would be it was a big scalp at that time ,

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Was on the park celebrating that equalizer. It was unthinkable for Caley to beat us at the time.....then the replay........

12 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

To be honest I think that if you had told any of us that pre season (and I include the league cup in this) would have panned out as it has a month ago we would probably have been OK with it!

Although the play is better the results could have been better,cowdenbeath was the only game we dominated ,Queens and Clyde to close for comfort ,lost as expected against  Thistle and Hamilton,Sat  is the one we want to win .

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

He doesn’t need to replace anyone, simply asked if he’d been cleared yet. We have a bench.

There was no malice in the question , unless someone was to be injured he would have to replace someone ,could be on the bench to then brought on .

Pretty quiet in here.

re the posts above, I think it's a good question (who will he replace). I was surprised when they made Crichton captain, not because he is a duffer or anything, but it seemed to me that Fordyce and Kerr were presented as being upgrades. Logic would say that you don't drop your captain (at least not until things have developed a bit more) so it's all a bit unclear to me.

Now we also have McKay who it's assumed will be RB but can play a variety of positions so he could technically add to my confusion at CH or CM. (Wedderburn being the only guaranteed starter at CM as far as I can see)

My personal view (so far) is that Fordyce is kinda like Gallagher in that he looks to be a good player but is destined to be played in a position other than his first choice. Feels weird as I would have killed for him at CH last year and Gallagher at CF.

34 minutes ago, Moon said:

Pretty quiet in here.

re the posts above, I think it's a good question (who will he replace). I was surprised when they made Crichton captain, not because he is a duffer or anything, but it seemed to me that Fordyce and Kerr were presented as being upgrades. Logic would say that you don't drop your captain (at least not until things have developed a bit more) so it's all a bit unclear to me.

Now we also have McKay who it's assumed will be RB but can play a variety of positions so he could technically add to my confusion at CH or CM. (Wedderburn being the only guaranteed starter at CM as far as I can see)

My personal view (so far) is that Fordyce is kinda like Gallagher in that he looks to be a good player but is destined to be played in a position other than his first choice. Feels weird as I would have killed for him at CH last year and Gallagher at CF.

All about opinions and seeing the game differently,   I think Fordyce is the starting right back. And rightly so, he is a massive upgrade on Stewart (who ironically has dropped out the Arbroath team recently).   Moving forward i believe our centre half pairing to be MacKey and Kerr,   but Crighton has played well and better than Kerr in the games so far,  a lot of people on here criticize his distribution from the back,  Crighton is old skool clears his lines or a long diagonal and gets us up the park,   problem we have had against all the teams in our section is overplaying at the back against sides with a high press,  thistle 2nd half,  QP 1st half,  Accies 2nd half,    Hopefully Murray has rectified this,    what about a back 5 on Saturday Crighton, Mackay, Kerr with Fordyce and Eckersley as wing backs....

12 minutes ago, Passionate said:

All about opinions and seeing the game differently,   I think Fordyce is the starting right back. And rightly so, he is a massive upgrade on Stewart (who ironically has dropped out the Arbroath team recently).   Moving forward i believe our centre half pairing to be MacKey and Kerr,   but Crighton has played well and better than Kerr in the games so far,  a lot of people on here criticize his distribution from the back,  Crighton is old skool clears his lines or a long diagonal and gets us up the park,   problem we have had against all the teams in our section is overplaying at the back against sides with a high press,  thistle 2nd half,  QP 1st half,  Accies 2nd half,    Hopefully Murray has rectified this,    what about a back 5 on Saturday Crighton, Mackay, Kerr with Fordyce and Eckersley as wing backs....

I hadn't considered that...I have a preconceived notion that Fordyce isn't attacking enough for that role but that's all it is; preconceived.

Interesting reading the Wedderburn comments. Would see the same stuff on our threads. Both our fans and opposition fans would be divided over whether he was our best player or a total donkey. There was never much "meh" opinion about him. 

I think it'll depend on who we play beside him. He isn't as immobile as painted by some but clearly he's not a high tempo high energy midfielder. He is very very good on the ball though, and that's what we need to maximise.