The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Actually think that’s a pretty good signing. He’s primarily a centre half but article says he can play right back or in the midfield too. Think his versatility will be useful. Come to think of it too, apart from the youngsters, there isn’t much cover in defence. If any of the starting XI got injured or suspended you’d start to struggle so think he could be a very useful addition. Will be interesting to see where he slots in and/or who drops out. Comes with a decent reputation too. Hopefully he’s better than his brother anyway...

12 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:
57 minutes ago, airdrie88 said:
Will easily be one of the top scorers in this league 

Based on his previous stats I doubt it. Regardless of the quality of the league.

TBF rubbish like Leighton McIntosh scored 17 last season. Sammon has played at a much higher level for his whole career. I don’t necessarily think he’ll be top scorer but he’ll be more than capable at this level. 

15 minutes ago, waysider said:

Well there you go another youngster with virtually no experience. Just what we need. And a defender. No harm to the lad and he maybe he’ll be ok but if there’s any money to spare it should go towards a proven striker.

Like who? Keep hearing about us signing a proven goalscorer but not one realistic suggestion as to who. Proven goalscorers are rare at this level, anyone who has a decent goalscoring record will easily get signed up with a championship side! 

We now have 5 strikers in the first team with Gallagher, Roy, Smith, Carrick and Russell...cant see us signing anymore! 

Like who? Keep hearing about us signing a proven goalscorer but not one realistic suggestion as to who. Proven goalscorers are rare at this level, anyone who has a decent goalscoring record will easily get signed up with a championship side! 
We now have 5 strikers in the first team with Gallagher, Roy, Smith, Carrick and Russell...cant see us signing anymore! 

Get Bryan to pull the boots 🥾 on [emoji813]️🤤IMG_0983.jpg

6 hours ago, Moon said:

completely agree with the person above who says we don't need any more defenders other than a right back.

You're spot on - but Ian Murray is the boss  and so the more defensive we are the better, have you not figured this out yet?

4 hours ago, Spanish Armada said:
4 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:
Another centre back in. We're going to win every game 1-0

Rather win every game one nothing than 4-3emoji57.png

Boring, boring Airdrie..... Boring, boring Airdrie

But for those of you thinking I only make negative comments,. well here's a positive one.... The club have done a fantastic job ensuring that one of our sponsors are Suicide Prevention North Lanarkshire. Many desperately depressed fans struggling to watch the games through their tear stained eyes can catch sight of the strip and come to realise life's not all bad. Airdrie might be but there is hope out there. One day Ian Murray will leave and we just might get someone in who wants to play attractive attacking football. So keep the faith.... Many congratulations to the board and everyone involved!

But for those of you thinking I only make negative comments,. well here's a positive one.... The club have done a fantastic job ensuring that one of our sponsors are Suicide Prevention North Lanarkshire. Many desperately depressed fans struggling to watch the games through their tear stained eyes can catch sight of the strip and come to realise life's not all bad. Airdrie might be but there is hope out there. One day Ian Murray will leave and we just might get someone in who wants to play attractive attacking football. So keep the faith.... Many congratulations to the board and everyone involved!
Anti Murray is boring boring boring, back the team or f**k off simples

50 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

You're spot on - but Ian Murray is the boss  and so the more defensive we are the better, have you not figured this out yet?

We haven't had a thematic poster for a while, a proper one. You're problematically walking a tightrope at the moment between real fan and the hipster caricature of "well everyone says this is good so I'm saying its shite". The problem being that this post and in particular the line "One day Ian Murray will leave and we just might get someone in who wants to play attractive attacking football." suggests the latter, which is a shame as it suffixes what would otherwise have been a nice, natural end point to the post.

47 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

We haven't had a thematic poster for a while, a proper one. You're problematically walking a tightrope at the moment between real fan and the hipster caricature of "well everyone says this is good so I'm saying its shite". The problem being that this post and in particular the line "One day Ian Murray will leave and we just might get someone in who wants to play attractive attacking football." suggests the latter, which is a shame as it suffixes what would otherwise have been a nice, natural end point to the post.

I take your point. I am a real fan, have been for over 35 years, as previously stated. I know that at times I’ve been pushing it quite far to try to get a reaction and have people think critically. Of course, I could well end up being wrong. But I’ve been seeking to get the happy clappers to take off the rose-tinted glasses and see that the probability is that they are going to be watching a defensively minded brand of football and that they are going to be disappointed yet again. I know most people don’t want to hear it, they would rather stay somewhat deluded, which is perfectly understandable, as in the past, I would have been right there with them.