The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Seems to be alot of anti Murray fans also for some reason! Seems to be people don't want us to do well. A major clear out was needed and it has been done. If we're sitting mid table after 1st 10 games or so then fair enough but I think we will be far better this year 

4 minutes ago, airdrie88 said:

Don't know how you can say he looks a far poorer player after 1 competitive game against a team from the league above and imo he done well. Looks quicker more skillfull and hopefully has a final ball. Scott Stewart was one of the most overrated players in recent years he always tried 100% put in a  good tackle now and then. His final ball and finishing was terrible 9 times out not 10. We have had far better players over the years get hounded by fans but he seemed to be a favourite because he tried. Cookie and strenny ripped him apart for 90mins up there and so did many other players. 

You think Stewart was overrated. Dick Campbell's judgement must be poor then, as he obviously rates him as being suitable for the championship. That's Dick Campbell manager of Arbroath, who with a relatively small part time team comfortably won our league last season. With the right man management I reckon Scott Stewart will do very well for them.

8 minutes ago, airdrie88 said:

Seems to be alot of anti Murray fans also for some reason! Seems to be people don't want us to do well. A major clear out was needed and it has been done. If we're sitting mid table after 1st 10 games or so then fair enough but I think we will be far better this year 

I want us to do well, but so far Murray isn't filling me with confidence that we will. 

4 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

You think Stewart was overrated. Dick Campbell's judgement must be poor then, as he obviously rates him as being suitable for the championship. That's Dick Campbell manager of Arbroath, who with a relatively small part time team comfortably won our league last season. With the right man management I reckon Scott Stewart will do very well for them.

I want us to do well, but so far Murray isn't filling me with confidence that we will. 

Yes I do think he's overrated and won't get much game time. Plenty managers can also get it wrong with players. I have watched him week in week out getting ripped apart at times from average players in league 1! Also still don't know what his best position is get found out defending leaves far to much space behind his positional sense was poor and when further forward his crossing was shocking. It's all about opions I suppose but to judge after one game is a bit poor 

8 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

Fair enough but I thought we done well in both friendlies. Played ok against partick and think we will get better as weeks progress. Our defence last season under him was good and imo has been strengthened again this year. Also said he wanted to add pace in the wings etc and think we have done that also. May lack a top striker but there hard to come by and if big Leighton can score 15 in last year's team I'm sure gallacher or Smith can this year as well 

1 hour ago, airdrie88 said:

Exactly!

When Findlay was sacked we were 4th bottom. We'd won 1 game in 7. Conceding loads of goals. This page was full of folk saying this was the worst bunch of players to pull on a Airdrie strip and tipping us to get relegated.

Murray steadied  the ship. Stopped us leaking goals, to the point where we finished the season with one of the best defensive records in the division. And somehow almost sneaked the playoffs with the same group of players.

Everyone was asking for a clear out. We get it and now suddenly folk are moaning about getting rid of the same squad of players that were getting labelled the worst players to pull on a Airdrie strip??? 🙄

Edited by Tory Boy

2 minutes ago, Tory Boy said:

Exactly!

When Findlay was sacked we were 4th bottom. We'd won 1 game in 7. Conceding loads of goals. This page was full of folk saying this was the worst bunch of players to pull on a Airdrie strip and tipping us to get relegated.

Murray steadied  the ship. Stopped us leaking goals, to the point where we finished the season with one of the best defensive records in the division. And somehow almost sneaked the playoffs with the same group of players.

Everyone was asking for a clear out. We get it and now suddenly folk are moaning of getting rid of the same squad of players that was getting labelled the worst players to pull on a Airdrie strip??? 🙄

I can never understand it just seems certain Airdrie fans like a good moan and negativity and sometimes it's the majority.  Only Arbroath had a better defensive record last season if he can build on that this year and add a bit more going forward we will do well in a league which will be hard going. When the league starts I think gallacher will be played up top he got 13 goals in a shite Dumbarton team so fingers crossed he gets more this year. People panicking saying can't see where the goals will come from when we haven't playing anymore from our league yet! I don't think we will have a problem scoring goals at all 

Bottom line is Murray deserves a run with his own team before being judged. His hands were tied in terms of how we could play last season due to a general lack of creativity. The club has backed him and done well to have cleared so many out. The new players deserve a little bit of time to settle in too - judging on a couple of (effectively) pre season games when it’s by in large new doesn’t seem fair.

There’s one or two I’d have kept that have left but I get the reason for them being moved. Time will tell if the new approach will work, we just need to get on with it and see now (with fingers cross it does).

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Struggling to comprehend people slating Josh Edwards, a guy who's just turned 19 with 30 odd professional games under his belt. Any guy who can get in a first team at 17 must have something.

(Post to be revisited in 2 years time)

Aye,he played in last nights  big win,is there any others in our team would get a game for the pars !!

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye,he played in last nights  big win,is there any others in our team would get a game for the pars !!

He came on with 20 mins to go when his team were 6-0 up, its not like he was dominating the game or anything...not saying he was a bad player for us or anything but lets not make out that he was some superstar who weve lost

Murray deserves a chance with his team, we needed a clear out and we got one. Like others have been saying lets see how we play against teams in our league before everyone condemns us to mediocrity 

I liked Edwards and would have been more than happy to have kept him on.  But is developing young players and selling them on to bigger clubs (granted for we don't know how much at this point, but there may be a sell-on clause, and we've got a loan player out of it) not generally seen to be a A Good Thing for a club at our level to be doing?

7 hours ago, DiamondOwl said:

Disagree about Thomson. Haven't been impressed so far.

Stewart was a crucial player the season before last - he was often captain and was one of  our best players. Then Ian Murray arrived..... 

I liked Stewart and would have been happy enough for him to stay but I can't see how anyone can say Thomson is better or worse. He's literally played one game (friendlies don't count) which is nowhere near enough evidence to come to any sort of conclusion on how good a player he'll be for us. I don't think Stewart was any better or worse under Murray than he was under any previous managers too. But it's undeniable Murray made the group of players he inherited from Findlay and the team as a whole better. 

6 hours ago, Tory Boy said:

Exactly!

Everyone was asking for a clear out. We get it and now suddenly folk are moaning about getting rid of the same squad of players that were getting labelled the worst players to pull on a Airdrie strip??? 🙄

Completely agree, well said. 

Stuart Millar on the Facebook group saying the new home kit will be unveiled tomorrow along with a new signing. 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I liked Stewart and would have been happy enough for him to stay but I can't see how anyone can say Thomson is better or worse. He's literally played one game (friendlies don't count) which is nowhere near enough evidence to come to any sort of conclusion on how good a player he'll be for us. I don't think Stewart was any better or worse under Murray than he was under any previous managers too. But it's undeniable Murray made the group of players he inherited from Findlay and the team as a whole better. 

Completely agree, well said. 

Stuart Millar on the Facebook group saying the new home kit will be unveiled tomorrow along with a new signing. 

Defender I would think , don’t think manager liked what he saw  in our last game .

13 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Defender I would think , don’t think manager liked what he saw  in our last game .

You could well be right, someone on the Facebook group also made that suggestion. I wasn't there on Saturday but the goal we conceded was sloppy. Neither the defence nor the goalie covered themselves in glory with that one. If it is a defender it will be interesting to see who they are and what position they primarily play in as we seem well stocked on defenders at the moment. Can't see Crighton (if he's still the captain) or Eckersley being dropped and Kerr seems well thought of too. It seemed like Fordyce was signed with being a key player in mind also (although maybe he'd be a better centre-half than right back). 

59 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

You would have thought we would have heard a rumour if we had been looking at a player in Scotland ,kept pretty secret maybe no from Scotland then ,

32 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Maybe one of Murray’s Norwegian maestros ♦️🇳🇴

Was just going to say that! If we're unveiling the home kit tomorrow and announcing the new signing perhaps they'll be modelling it. Any handsome players still available? No Craig Barr unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Hopefully a full back. I think Kyle MacDonald is our only natural right back and is young and inexperienced, and now that we've sold Edwards we only have Eckersley and the young lad we signed from East Kilbride at left back. Been impressed with Eckersley and not seen MacDonald yet so I can't make a comment, but it does seem like we're lacking alternatives in both full back/wing back roles.

15 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Hopefully a full back. I think Kyle MacDonald is our only natural right back and is young and inexperienced, and now that we've sold Edwards we only have Eckersley and the young lad we signed from East Kilbride at left back. Been impressed with Eckersley and not seen MacDonald yet so I can't make a comment, but it does seem like we're lacking alternatives in both full back/wing back roles.

Right back is the only position I'd say were not well stocked in. Fordyce can play there but he's more suited to centre half and as you say MacDonald is still young and inexperienced so would be good to bring in a more natural right back.

Its not...