The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, Moon said:

I think Gallagher would score a similar amount of goals as McIntosh if actually played as a striker.

But yeah, I agree that we need a striker, someone with presence or who is already in position waiting for a the pass, not having to work their way in all the time.

I'd be surprised if we lost both MacDonald and Edwards in the same pre season but I'd imagine that if there was any hint of a fee he'll be off.

https://www.airdriefc.com/1920news/160719/Smith-in-as-Josh-goes-to-Pars

What are we getting with Josh Edwards? Left back that's all I know
I'll probably be in the minority. I thought when he first burst onto the seen we could've had a player on our hands, wind back to last season and his standout performances in the league cup, particularly against Hamilton showed some real promise but unfortunately it stopped there, he had a decent game in every 5 and I felt he was very sloppy in possession and has continued to show a real lack of inconsistency with deliveries into the box. However he is still very young and could still be coached into a decent player, I hope that's the case but again I felt he was quite a disappointment given how well he started.

2 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:
16 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'll probably be in the minority. I thought when he first burst onto the seen we could've had a player on our hands, wind back to last season and his standout performances in the league cup, particularly against Hamilton showed some real promise but unfortunately it stopped there, he had a decent game in every 5 and I felt he was very sloppy in possession and has continued to show a real lack of inconsistency with deliveries into the box. However he is still very young and could still be coached into a decent player, I hope that's the case but again I felt he was quite a disappointment given how well he started.

Yay ☹️

It's surprised me that Smithy hasn't made a bigger impact at Arbroath and Alloa previously. He's a very busy player and can handle himself well against big centre backs. I'm not sure he's a natural goalscorer though. Seems to make a pass before a shot from what I've seen.  He really does need to go and make a name for himself this time, the potential is certainly there.

I’d agree with this. He definitely didn’t kick on last year as expected. Don’t know much about Smith but everybody was saying on the back of Saturday that we needed a goal scorer. If he fits the bill and we’ve received a fee for Edwards could be decent business. I liked Edwards though and he had plenty potential.

1 minute ago, Moon said:

I think you're buying potential with Edwards but he still has a fair bit of developing to do.

We've signed quite a few guys like that this season. Looking to develop guys and sell them on further down the line. Sounds great but it's easier said than done.

12 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

We've signed quite a few guys like that this season. Looking to develop guys and sell them on further down the line. Sounds great but it's easier said than done.

yeah, tell us about it!

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:
1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I thought when he first burst onto the seen we could've had a player on our hands

Could say the same for Smith. Burst onto the scene in the absence of Nicky Clark a couple of seasons back, ripping various teams (including Hearts) a new one (playing alongside Declan MacManus and was straight into Scotland u19s (and scored a couple). Then Nicky Clark got fit and he was sunk. Not really done much since but hopefully there's a still a player in there somewhere. 

He played two games no? Hearts away, where he played well against Berra. Then away to Livi in the league opener where he was the only available striker and we played utter horribly.

He played against both Falkirk and ICT at East end scoring in the latter. He also scored against Dundee United in a 2-1 home defeat.

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

He played two games no? Hearts away, where he played well against Berra. Then away to Livi in the league opener where he was the only available striker and we played utter horribly.

Did he not also play against ICT? 

He played as a long striker against Livi and was indeed horrible. 

Sounds like he was stretched that day.

Dropping a level should help him in general and with a run of games who knows. Would imagine from our point of view we won’t be bringing anyone else in for that position.

On 15/07/2019 at 14:49, Jack Reed said:

Is it Conroy in disguise .

Sorry to disappoint but he isn’t slow far from it but yes he was brutal on Saturday , however he’s a rough diamond ♦️ and you can hardly base a players ability against Dundee when really he will be facing poorer opposition and at times may well get away with these types of mistakes but only time will tell

I think Gallagher would score a similar amount of goals as McIntosh if actually played as a striker.

But yeah, I agree that we need a striker, someone with presence or who is already in position waiting for a the pass, not having to work their way in all the time.

I'd be surprised if we lost both MacDonald and Edwards in the same pre season but I'd imagine that if there was any hint of a fee he'll be off.

Edwards wouldn't have got a game Murray did not fancy him.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Aye you're right, I don't mind many games now as Livi was my last before moving abroad.

Aye? It was my last game before moving down to England. 

Shite game.

2 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

Sounds like he was stretched that day.

Dropping a level should help him in general and with a run of games who knows. Would imagine from our point of view we won’t be bringing anyone else in for that position.

It was one of his very first senior games, would've only been 17 and was up against 3 massive Livi defenders, no blame for him for not running the game tbf. 

He was getting scouted by English sides a couple of years ago and looked like he had plenty potential, tons of pace and has the ability to go past a man it's just not worked out for him. He had so much potential it wouldn't surprise me if he went out and scored 15 goals, likewise it wouldn't surprise me if you play him wide, gets a couple and that's it.