Moon

The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Whatever happened to Andrew Barrowman? When he came in it seemed that all he needed was a bit of fitness and he'd be pushing in to the first team, but barely heard anything since.

I think people are getting somewhat carried away based on results against two of Scotland’s poorest teams.

The football club must be given credit for having a plan, keeping in touch with the fan base for a change, and making a lot of signings. I have two particular worries. Firstly, a significant number of the new signings fall into the category of young promising players who have not yet fulfilled their promise. Some of these players may fulfil their promise but others may not. Having several of these players in your team at the one time seems to me to be taking a bit of a chance.  The other worry I have is that we are very short of goalscorers.  I am absolutely sure  that the manager is aware of this. I accept that it is very difficult for our small team to attract proven goalscorers.

All in all, given that this is a more difficult league  than last year I am not as confident as others. As our lifelong fan I hope that I am wrong.

Barrowman is on the list of signed players on the O/S.

Whatever happened to Andrew Barrowman? When he came in it seemed that all he needed was a bit of fitness and he'd be pushing in to the first team, but barely heard anything since.

Kyle MacDonald as well. He came with a good reputation but hasn’t featured in any of our preseason squads.

I assume he is injured as he appears to be the only natural right back in the squad, so you’d think he’d at least feature on the bench.

You're right, I had completely forgotten about him! Didn't even click when Gallagher started at right wing back on Saturday.

Another couple in last night, we really really need a striker. Fingers crossed for something.

3 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Kyle MacDonald as well. He came with a good reputation but hasn’t featured in any of our preseason squads.

I assume he is injured as he appears to be the only natural right back in the squad, so you’d think he’d at least feature on the bench.

Strongly suspect he is the missing Number 2 in squad numbers & therefore prefered right back

Kyle Wilkie has signed for Annan Ath.
Do you think he will be a signing for us.

Anyone have a guess as to how many we’ll take through tomorrow? Hopefully a decent turn out. Tough one for a first competitive game with so many new players but it will
give a good indication of our level.

Yes. He was well liked amongst the majority of our support. Had a run early in 2019 where he picked up quite a few MOTM awards.

Big question mark over fitness but if he can get himself fit and you can allow him to play in the number 10 role I think you’ll really enjoy watching him.

1 hour ago, marco44 said:

really good player but struggled to be effective past the hour mark.

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

Anyone have a guess as to how many we’ll take through tomorrow? Hopefully a decent turn out. Tough one for a first competitive game with so many new players but it will
give a good indication of our level.

To be honest, I don't think it'll be an indicator of our level regardless of the result (well...unless we win 6-0 or something ridicuous) look at last year where we looked excellent against Hamilton and went on to be incredibly shite.

I think we should just enjoy the match and not get too worked up either way. Give the team a chance.

To be honest, I don't think it'll be an indicator of our level regardless of the result (well...unless we win 6-0 or something ridicuous) look at last year where we looked excellent against Hamilton and went on to be incredibly shite.

I think we should just enjoy the match and not get too worked up either way. Give the team a chance.

Exactly my approach! Looking forward to the season

There's lots or arguing and allegations flying around, I enjoy getting stuck in myself, but in terms of the team I haven't actually seen any complaints or criticisms. 

I think it’s a massive game. If we got through we’d be guaranteed a seeded team in the next round. It could potentially set up the season financially.

That said, it’s a really difficult format. A loss tomorrow (like we had against Livi last year) and it would be a real struggle to get through.

Agree it’s one to enjoy and only get excited about the competition if we take 2 points or more.

yeah, it's a big game, Thistle always is. and you're right, we could get a big team if we progressed so there are some stakes to it. 

But would it be fair to say that we are going to be useless if we can't beat them? Or to increase expectations if we beat a team that has only played 2 closed door games so far?

That’s true, I was full hope after the Hamilton game last year. I certainly won’t be judging if we lose but it would nice to start off with a decent performance. It’s effectively pre season though. I’d rather use these games to ensure we’re ready for the league.