The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I think ATS has been brilliant for us and helped to steady the defence but I think being in the Championship we'd probably need someone with a bit more mobilty next to Fordyce. He is getting on a bit now and if he suffered any injuries we could be in bother.

I don't dislike Charlie Telfer in comparison to a few Airdrie posters on here I think he was a decent squad player last season and definitely contributed, the two legs at the play off final I thought he was excellent. I don't think he'd be a regular starter next season and if there is better available we should go for them.

I'm not saying personally whether I'd get rid of them or not if McCabe decides he wanted to keep both of them and they were here next season then fair enough. 

I'd imagine both of them will probably be our highest earners in the squad in comparison to our younger players and if we were able to move them on and bring in better quality for the championship then surely that would be a good thing.

I reckon Salim would have been amongst our highest earners and was probably earning a ridiculously high wage, especially relative to his contribution. so getting him off the wage bill is a positive on many fronts. 

4 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I reckon Salim would have been amongst our highest earners and was probably earning a ridiculously high wage, especially relative to his contribution. so getting him off the wage bill is a positive on many fronts. 

What type of wage you reckon he would be on? interesting to see that considering he joined from Livi who aren't renowned for paying high wages. When Simon Ferry joined Peterhead he got offered more there than at Livi full time, £350 a week was the offer. 

50 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

What type of wage you reckon he would be on? interesting to see that considering he joined from Livi who aren't renowned for paying high wages. When Simon Ferry joined Peterhead he got offered more there than at Livi full time, £350 a week was the offer. 

That’s a fair point. Although since he came from the Premier League, off the back of a 20(ish?) goal season at Queen’s Park and signed a full-time 2 year deal I would still think he’d be up there amongst the highest earners. Certainly paid more than he was worth anyway! 

35 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

That’s a fair point. Although since he came from the Premier League, off the back of a 20(ish?) goal season at Queen’s Park and signed a full-time 2 year deal I would still think he’d be up there amongst the highest earners. Certainly paid more than he was worth anyway! 

We will never know quite rightly what players earn but for gossips,sake,  Rico declared during his trial he was on 375 per week plus app money,   would imagine that would be at the lower end of our scale,   We took over the terms of sal s 2 year full-time contract when they were Premier League a nd also don't forget we took over The remainder of Callum Smith 3 year Premier league contract also(2 years left when he signed) plucking figures out the air I would think both players would be in excess of 500 - 600 a week,   let's not forget McCabe and Frizzell allegedly were in signing talks at the start of the season with Falkirk who pay substantially more than us I would think....  Throw in Telfers contract he wanted 800 a week allegedly in preseason,  he never signed on for that amount in September,

we always think of ourselves as the pa upers paying poor wages etc,   if we were paying certain players championship wages to get promoted,  we achieved that aim, what next for these players..

(For the record I am not I T k and figures quoted have no substance expect from rumour apart from Rico's which was declared in c ourt)

7 hours ago, airdrieman said:

What do we consider one of the highest earners would be on per week.  Asking out of curiosity.  

32 minutes ago, Airdrie101 said:

What do we consider one of the highest earners would be on per week.  Asking out of curiosity.  

As @Passionate stated, Quitongo on £375 plus £25 appearance.  Virtually minimum wage! Would have thought Rhys would be the highest paid given he has 2 jobs and bonuses on top, and well deserved IMO.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

We will never know quite rightly what players earn but for gossips,sake,  Rico declared during his trial he was on 375 per week plus app money,   would imagine that would be at the lower end of our scale,   We took over the terms of sal s 2 year full-time contract when they were Premier League a nd also don't forget we took over The remainder of Callum Smith 3 year Premier league contract also(2 years left when he signed) plucking figures out the air I would think both players would be in excess of 500 - 600 a week,   let's not forget McCabe and Frizzell allegedly were in signing talks at the start of the season with Falkirk who pay substantially more than us I would think....  Throw in Telfers contract he wanted 800 a week allegedly in preseason,  he never signed on for that amount in September,

we always think of ourselves as the pa upers paying poor wages etc,   if we were paying certain players championship wages to get promoted,  we achieved that aim, what next for these players..

(For the record I am not I T k and figures quoted have no substance expect from rumour apart from Rico's which was declared in c ourt)

I think you're quite a bit off in terms of weekly wages. I reckon telfer was even higher and would not be the only one on a bigger wage. And they'll quite rightly expect an increased offer for the Championship, should they get an offer at all. Young and hungry players won't command as high a wage as your Telfer types, who have higher level experience. Given we will likely be primarily full time this season, wage bills will definitely be on the rise. But that should be countered with increased crowds, league place money etc. 

Wouldn't mind a wee cup run this season too! 

7 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

I think you're quite a bit off in terms of weekly wages. I reckon telfer was even higher and would not be the only one on a bigger wage. And they'll quite rightly expect an increased offer for the Championship, should they get an offer at all. Young and hungry players won't command as high a wage as your Telfer types, who have higher level experience. Given we will likely be primarily full time this season, wage bills will definitely be on the rise. But that should be countered with increased crowds, league place money etc. 

Wouldn't mind a wee cup run this season too! 

League prize money is a big increase definitely. Attendances won't be a huge money spinner though. Assuming Partick go up, we have ICT, Ross County, Arbroath and Queens Park who will bring League 1 level crowds, probably even less. Morton, Ayr, Raith, Dunfermline will all bring decent supports but nothing huge unless they are top of the league. Same with Dundee Utd really. You'd hope there will be a few extra in the home end but we won't be the free scoring side we were this year so that may tail off if we're down the bottom half.

The cup run is the big thing, you need a bit of luck with the draw but you also need to take advantage of it. Look at sides like Falkirk and ICT who did very little this year yet managed to reach a semi-final/final and have made a small fortune off it.

I have no information on this but I’d be amazed, and slightly concerned, if we were paying Charlie Telfer, or anyone outside of McCabe and Fordyce, more than £800 a week. I reckon Smith and Salim would have been on pretty low Premiership wages, so even with taking on those contracts I’d expect them to be on £500-600 a week, the same for guys like Frizzell, Ballantyne, Rae, even ATS etc. 

Most of those players can justifiably demand an increase for next season, particularly Gabby McGill who is probably on a lowish wage given Airdrie was probably the highest level he was going to get when he joined so I doubt he’s on huge money, albeit we ostensibly cover his accommodation.

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

League prize money is a big increase definitely. Attendances won't be a huge money spinner though. Assuming Partick go up, we have ICT, Ross County, Arbroath and Queens Park who will bring League 1 level crowds, probably even less. Morton, Ayr, Raith, Dunfermline will all bring decent supports but nothing huge unless they are top of the league. Same with Dundee Utd really. You'd hope there will be a few extra in the home end but we won't be the free scoring side we were this year so that may tail off if we're down the bottom half.

The cup run is the big thing, you need a bit of luck with the draw but you also need to take advantage of it. Look at sides like Falkirk and ICT who did very little this year yet managed to reach a semi-final/final and have made a small fortune off it.

This season we only really opened the away stand for Falkirk and Dunfermline. It'll be nearer half our opponents we do that for next season. 

And as for not being the same free scoring team? I beg to differ. I dont see Rhys changing how he wants the team to play. Yes, we will have a smaller budget than most, but he's proven himself to be able to build a team, command a certain style of play and drive high standards of performance, subbing and dropping players who don't live up to those standards. 

I cannot see him changing that approach. And I really hope he doesn't. 

Guaranteed he's not looking to come 8th next season. He's gonna go for the play offs again and so he should. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

24 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

This season we only really opened the away stand for Falkirk and Dunfermline. It'll be nearer half our opponents we do that for next season. 

And as for not being the same free scoring team? I beg to differ. I dont see Rhys changing how he wants the team to play. Yes, we will have a smaller budget than most, but he's proven himself to be able to build a team, command a certain style of play and drive high standards of performance, subbing and dropping players who don't live up to those standards. 

I cannot see him changing that approach. And I really hope he doesn't. 

Guaranteed he's not looking to come 8th next season. He's gonna go for the play offs again and so he should. 

None of that has anything to do with what I said though has it? It's obvious that we'll not be able to score 82 league goals, dish out hammerings every few weeks and score 4 or more goals in 10 of our league games like we did last season. That's not a criticism, it's a basic observation that we are moving up a level and will find things a lot tougher, no matter how good a job Rhys has done or what his aims are.

10 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

None of that has anything to do with what I said though has it? It's obvious that we'll not be able to score 82 league goals, dish out hammerings every few weeks and score 4 or more goals in 10 of our league games like we did last season. That's not a criticism, it's a basic observation that we are moving up a level and will find things a lot tougher, no matter how good a job Rhys has done or what his aims are.

Defeatist Attitude!

Airdrieonians All Out Attack! 

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Won’t be playing rubbish like Brad McKay and Erik Sula every week! 

What a brilliant moment that was. Hutton slowly hobbling on to the park, saved the penalty (from Benedictus who rarely misses), juggles every shot that came his way after that and he kept a clean sheet. What a boy ❤️♦️

IMG_9366.png

On 02/06/2023 at 12:03, airdrieman said:

Already looking forward to that first pint in the Mallard. 

Conversely, I’m not looking forward to spending a small fortune on a booked train up to Dingwall only for the game to be switched to the Friday night. 

Already looking forward to that first pint in the Carnarvon/Bon Accord/Curler’s. 

11 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Quite happy with Thistle bottling that, be good crowds and a derby next season to look forward to.

Agree… looking forward to a trip to Firhill.   Was always a great place to go back in the 90s and we were more than capable of winning there or Thistle beating us at Broomfield.   And would rather a trip to N Glasgow over N Inverness 

Airdrieonians 

Arbroath 

Ayr United 

Dunfermline Athletic 

Dundee United

Greenock Morton 

Inverness Caley Thistle 

Partick Thistle

Queens Park 

Raith Rovers 

That's some league next season, I know I said I wanted Ross County to go down but that was pretty spectacular 😆.

Edited by David Fernández