The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

7 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I thought McGowan was their CB and captain? 

That's Dylan, who was CB and captain. I can only assume the poster means Adam McGowan, although quite what evidence he's used to determine that he would suit McCabe's style of play I'm not sure, given that as far as I can tell he's not really an attacker, and that he's barely kicked a ball in his career.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's Dylan, who was CB and captain. I can only assume the poster means Adam McGowan, although quite what evidence he's used to determine that he would suit McCabe's style of play I'm not sure, given that as far as I can tell he's not really an attacker, and that he's barely kicked a ball in his career.

I know Adam well from school a quick pacy winger not scared to take a man on done well this year with Tranent this season a lot of Hamilton fans aren’t happy he’s away 

22 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

I know Adam well from school a quick pacy winger not scared to take a man on done well this year with Tranent this season a lot of Hamilton fans aren’t happy he’s away 

Aware he's an Airdrie boy but a big step up from Tranent (half of which he was on the bench) to the Championship.

4 hours ago, G_H said:

de bolle (attacking mid and scotland u21 cap) has another year on his newcastle contract, so dont think we are getting him unless its a loan (although would likely fit our style better than hamilton's if he got taught to get stuck in a bit). I think a few of those others were loanees as well

We do have the 2young Hibs boys that signed,would think they will be looking to kick in in first team or what would be the point in them signing ,

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Pointless signing him if we've got Lewis Mcgregor, really need to be signing a better standard of benchwarmers for the accies.

Already looking forward to that first pint in the Mallard. 

Conversely, I’m not looking forward to spending a small fortune on a booked train up to Dingwall only for the game to be switched to the Friday night. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

Already looking forward to that first pint in the Mallard. 

Conversely, I’m not looking forward to spending a small fortune on a booked train up to Dingwall only for the game to be switched to the Friday night. 

Such a genius idea to build a pub on a train station! 👏 

I don't think I've ever seen Airdrie win a game at Firhill that I've been at so on that note I hope Thistle go up.

51 minutes ago, diamondman said:

"I don't think I've ever seen Airdrie win a game at Firhill"

Simon Lynch's late strike in 2008 in a 0-1 result was the last occasion I think.

2009, up there with my favourite away games of all time! Sun was shining that day too, it was glorious!

The daily tweets the club are putting out make you appreciate just how small a squad we had in terms of genuine starting contenders. Day 12 and we’re still on Jay Riley, with the only player even close to a regular so far being Lewis Jamieson who played for five months.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

The daily tweets the club are putting out make you appreciate just how small a squad we had in terms of genuine starting contenders. Day 12 and we’re still on Jay Riley, with the only player even close to a regular so far being Lewis Jamieson who played for five months.

Apart from a spell round about October when Frizz and Gabby got injured,  we were very lucky with injuries and suspensions although Ballantyne tried his best to buck that trend,    other teams were decimated at times...

We need a,stronger squad quality and number wise to try and competed in a much more physical league....

Also surely guys like Riley, Byrd, Dixon etc won't be kept on,  contracts are up, let us know,   unless of course they are on hold out....

20 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Apart from a spell round about October when Frizz and Gabby got injured,  we were very lucky with injuries and suspensions although Ballantyne tried his best to buck that trend,    other teams were decimated at times..

Would add Rae into that list as well which definitley impacted the early part of the season

I think most of the players and the manager are either on holiday or just back from their holidays so it's not surprising we haven't heard anything so far in terms of a squad update.

The club are usually always slow at communicating everything anyway so there's a chance that players have signed up for next season already but it has just not been announced officially on social media or discussions are ongoing.

I'd say we'll probably have an update next week on who is staying or going, I would love the core of the squad to stay and even offer them two year deals. I wouldn't be disappointed if players like ATS and Telfer moved on which would free up wages to bring in replacements.

Those that move on would leave with my best wishes. I think out of all of our players their hasn't been a single one that hasn't contributed with either goals or assists. It's been a real team effort.

I think we are 5/6 signings away from looking like a really good team and being able to compete in a difficult league next season, ideally we'll probably be looking at a back up keeper, left sided CB, left back, DM, CM and a striker, at points last season our squad was looking ridiculously light.

Overall I'm looking forward to see who McCabe brings in, it's still only the start of June so plenty of time for the pen to make several appearances.

9 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think most of the players and the manager are either on holiday or just back from their holidays so it's not surprising we haven't heard anything so far in terms of a squad update.

The club are usually always slow at communicating everything anyway so there's a chance that players have signed up for next season already but it has just not been announced officially on social media or discussions are ongoing.

I'd say we'll probably have an update next week on who is staying or going, I would love the core of the squad to stay and even offer them two year deals. I wouldn't be disappointed if players like ATS and Telfer moved on which would free up wages to bring in replacements.

Those that move on would leave with my best wishes. I think out of all of our players their hasn't been a single one that hasn't contributed with either goals or assists. It's been a real team effort.

I think we are 5/6 signings away from looking like a really good team and being able to compete in a difficult league next season, ideally we'll probably be looking at a back up keeper, left sided CB, left back, DM, CM and a striker, at points last season our squad was looking ridiculously light.

Overall I'm looking forward to see who McCabe brings in, it's still only the start of June so plenty of time for the pen to make several appearances.

Aye the fact that folk are deffo on holiday means I'm not expecting much in the way of news for a week or so yet

10 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

interesting that the 2 experienced championship or higher players  !in our squad you would like to see move on,  ATS arguably turned our and Fordyces season around when he came into the team,  Telfer showed he also has qualities that we will need in a higher league,  any reasons why you would move them on. 

21 minutes ago, Passionate said:

interesting that the 2 experienced championship or higher players  !in our squad you would like to see move on,  ATS arguably turned our and Fordyces season around when he came into the team,  Telfer showed he also has qualities that we will need in a higher league,  any reasons why you would move them on. 

I think ATS has been brilliant for us and helped to steady the defence but I think being in the Championship we'd probably need someone with a bit more mobilty next to Fordyce. He is getting on a bit now and if he suffered any injuries we could be in bother.

I don't dislike Charlie Telfer in comparison to a few Airdrie posters on here I think he was a decent squad player last season and definitely contributed, the two legs at the play off final I thought he was excellent. I don't think he'd be a regular starter next season and if there is better available we should go for them.

I'm not saying personally whether I'd get rid of them or not if McCabe decides he wanted to keep both of them and they were here next season then fair enough. 

I'd imagine both of them will probably be our highest earners in the squad in comparison to our younger players and if we were able to move them on and bring in better quality for the championship then surely that would be a good thing.

Busy time for Rhys as most of the current squad are out of contract (I think) and imagine they would be the priority. Remember at this moment we probably couldn't field a 5 aside team as most are free agents.

Gabby in the press saying he's talking to the club which in real terms means he's probably looking for a 30/40% uplift. No doubt several others are also.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

My one request this summer is that when we announce contract extensions and signings the announcement includes the length of the contract

(My second request is that we somehow sign Kerr McInroy or Kyle Turner)

McInroy doesn’t seem to be getting a look in at Killie at all atm so it’s perhaps not that unlikely we could get him back on loan now that we’re in the Championship. Although we’d probably get outflanked on wages should someone higher up the food chain want him. 

Agree with most of the comments in terms of what we need. I’d be looking to bring in a starting centre-half (ideally a couple but if ATS and/or Watson stay that’s maybe unlikely), a full-back, a proper defensive midfielder, a centre mid and at least one other forward. As brilliant as the front three were last season, we had no depth there at all which really could have fucked us had any of them got injured for any length of time. Obviously already have Aiken and O’Connor signed. Not sure what sort of midfielder Aiken is or whether they’re both expected to be starters. Looking forward to hearing some news RE the squad soon in amongst the lottery numbers.