The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Justin Devenny couldn't get into our starting 11 as a regular when on loan the previous season. He worked hard over the summer and developed into an excellent player last season. A starter. Thinking that McMaster cannot do the same and won't develop into a quality player is quite short sighted IMO. As Ammo Airdrie said, even as someone on the bench, he's an excellent prospect and he WILL get better. 

Rhys put himself in over McMaster for the play offs. Right decision as he is better and more experienced. But we need someone to replace him eventually and McMaster could well be that person. 

That was League 1 though, if we were still in League 1 I could see McMaster doing what you described, similar to Devenny. But to make that jump from where he is now to someone who can contribute in the Championship is a much bigger ask.

I think he did a good job this season when he played, and wouldn't be against him staying in a squad role. But I'm not really convinced he'll be at a level next season to offer us a huge amount.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

16 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That was League 1 though, if we were still in League 1 I could see McMaster doing what you described, similar to Devenny. But to make that jump from where he is now to someone who can contribute in the Championship is a much bigger ask.

I think he did a good job this season when he played, and wouldn't be against him staying in a squad role. But I'm not really convinced he'll be at a level next season to offer us a huge amount.

Maybe, but it's not unreasonable to assume he can step up. Bear in mind he was/is with St. Mirren so clearly rated by them enough to be on the books of Premier League team. I've seen enough of him to know he has ability. That's enough for me to try and keep him on. Any reasonable development this season will see him challenging to start IMO. 

1 minute ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Maybe, but it's not unreasonable to assume he can step up. Bear in mind he was/is with St. Mirren so clearly rated by them enough to be on the books of Premier League team. I've seen enough of him to know he has ability. That's enough for me to try and keep him on. Any reasonable development this season will see him challenging to start IMO. 

I agree, he will surely continue his development and I’ve no doubt Rhys will make it clear that he expects to see him start to challenge for a regular place.  I think he has some good talent and could be playing at a higher level in 2-3 years if things go well for him.  Glad he’s staying on… 

7 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Just looked back and we announced who was released and multiple people had signed on by May 27th last year. Wish we'd hurry up and announce something

The play-off final last year was a week earlier than this year's, so we're still within the same time frame as last year assuming there's announcements in the next 2 or 3 days.

In general the play-offs always puts us 2 weeks behind everyone else who isn't in them, there's still clubs only just releasing updates in the last couple of days despite their season ending over 3 weeks ago. Of course, moving up a league probably adds more complexity with who is staying and going plus the terms of their contract.

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Devenny looked better against championship opponents,

23 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McCabe obviously didn't agree as he dropped him after the first Hamilton game.

Yeah I thought Devenny was really poor 1st leg of Accies game

40 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McCabe obviously didn't agree as he dropped him after the first Hamilton game.

16 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Yeah I thought Devenny was really poor 1st leg of Accies game

Was class when he came on in the 2nd tho 

I think there was more than one factor to consider and believe that McCabe started the game with Telfer in place of Devenny to provide senior, experienced cover down the left flank in front of Euan Deveney. I thought Devenny was immense when he came on and his penalty in the shoot-out showed real character.

Edited by DiamondDownSouth

Justin Devenny didn't have a great game in the 1st leg against Hamilton. But he's still young and that can happen. Can also happen with experienced players as we've all seen at times no doubt. He merited his start in the 2st leg and was rightly dropped for the 2nd. But as said above, he was superb when he came on. That shows you that Rhys trusted him to come on and do a job but also shows the mental strength Justin has to put the 2st game behind him and come back with something to prove. 

Genuinely think he will be excellent this season for us, but also think McMaster can go the same way. Rhys clearly sees a player in him and he's been excellent at times over the season. 

All in all, it's quite exciting times to be an Airdrie fan! Reckon we could keep the core of this seasons team and trust the club to bring in players to improve the squad as well. Cannot wait! 

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

Was class when he came on in the 2nd tho 

I agree, not criticising him. Was just saying that the claim he has 'looked better against Championship opponents' is made up nonsense. His only games against Championship sides this year were:

Arbroath away - we lost 3-0 and I can't remember Justin even playing (despite him playing 90 mins).

Dundee away - he was subbed at HT.

Hamilton at home - subbed after 56 mins after being really poor.

Hamilton away - He did well in ET but 30 mins against a tired opposition isn't really representative.

I really like him and really hope he signs on, but there's no real evidence yet that he's Championship ready, his performances against sides at that level have ranged from anonymous to poor. However he's young and clearly got potential so I am hopeful he will develop over the course of next season as he gets used to the standard.

5 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree, not criticising him. Was just saying that the claim he has 'looked better against Championship opponents' is made up nonsense. His only games against Championship sides this year were:

Arbroath away - we lost 3-0 and I can't remember Justin even playing (despite him playing 90 mins).

Dundee away - he was subbed at HT.

Hamilton at home - subbed after 56 mins after being really poor.

Hamilton away - He did well in ET but 30 mins against a tired opposition isn't really representative.

I really like him and really hope he signs on, but there's no real evidence yet that he's Championship ready, his performances against sides at that level have ranged from anonymous to poor. However he's young and clearly got potential so I am hopeful he will develop over the course of next season as he gets used to the standard.

Aye to be honest not sure many of  our players are championship ready ,

Saw in the hamilton thread that Tiehie, De Bolle, Sparrow, Stephenson, McGowan, Smith, Lawson, Ngandu McGowan, Ashley-Seal, Doyle and Gaffney have been released, dont know much about them but wonder if any will be worth looking at for us?

3 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye to be honest not sure many of  our players are championship ready

This is my lingering worry too, I think some can step up no doubt but wil be a steep learning curve for the younger players and we'll need to start the season well

8 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Saw in the hamilton thread that Tiehie, De Bolle, Sparrow, Stephenson, McGowan, Smith, Lawson, Ngandu McGowan, Ashley-Seal, Doyle and Gaffney have been released, dont know much about them but wonder if any will be worth looking at for us?

de bolle (attacking mid and scotland u21 cap) has another year on his newcastle contract, so dont think we are getting him unless its a loan (although would likely fit our style better than hamilton's if he got taught to get stuck in a bit). I think a few of those others were loanees as well

Edited by G_H

1 hour ago, G_H said:

de bolle (attacking mid and scotland u21 cap) has another year on his newcastle contract, so dont think we are getting him unless its a loan (although would likely fit our style better than hamilton's if he got taught to get stuck in a bit). I think a few of those others were loanees as well

Happily take McGowan young attacker would definitely suit mccabes playstyle