The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Strange watching the premiership scores with an interest to see who's joining us next season. Love it. 

Looks like it's Dundee United for certain and potentially Ross County. Both grounds I've never been to. Bring it on!

5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I sincerely hope it's not him. What an absolute backwards step that would be. 

Ally Roy and Jack Mckay after him, may aswell. 😂

For what it's worth I thought Kurtis Roberts was/is a totally underrated player. It was a logical and justified signing at the time, for whatever reason he wasn't fancied and ultimately struggled with fitness issues. I genuinely wouldn't slam the door on him as a squad player even now.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

This is quite interesting given Accies relegation, or perhaps the U18 standard isn't very good. There are 4 academy levels in Scotland but I've absolutely no idea of the criteria.

Elite - which is the table below

Performance (Progressive) Level - Ayr United, Dundee, Dunfermline Athletic, Greenock Morton, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Partick Thistle, Ross County, St Johnstone

Performance Level - Livingston only

Advanced Youth Level - which we just won

The criteria for elite status are quite strict. They take into account facilities (number of pitches is a factor), qualifications of coaching staff, and even things like scouting network/sport scientists/medical staff.

Our youth academy from u16s and below moved up the Elite level earlier this year, and from the beginning of next season so will the u18s. It was a lot of work for the club to get it sorted, and big deal when it all got confirmed.

11 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

We have a new player agreed to sign for next year who funnily enough I seen down at the stadium last night 

Didn't take long for the bullshitting to start.   Everyone knows we will be signing new players are we supposed to impressed by this?  Stop waisting Everyone's time with the I know something you don't pish. 

6 hours ago, Ballboy said:

Didn't take long for the bullshitting to start.   Everyone knows we will be signing new players are we supposed to impressed by this?  Stop waisting Everyone's time with the I know something you don't pish. 

Hamilton Midfielder there’s no other reason why he would of been down at the stadium 

13 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Hamilton Midfielder there’s no other reason why he would of been down at the stadium 

I think this counts as square two of close season bingo, after refreshing this page every 10 minutes a few years ago waiting for Ayr Diamond or whoever it was to post signing news i'm believing nothing until I see the giant pen...

58 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

well see if you seen him, there's no reason NOT to say his name, you're not protecting anyone spilling info from the club.  You're just showing yourself to be a massive knob IMO.

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

So you’ve actually no idea if he’s “agreed to sign for next season” you’ve just seen someone in at the stadium 🤣

2 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Yes it's inconceivable that person x could have been down at a local football ground for a million and one reasons. 

This is the transfer deadline day patter of "ah saw Ronaldo in a black cab at Glasgow Airport telling the driver to head for Cliftonhill" but in May!

I suspect in times gone past, in the halcyon pre internet days, you would have been mumbling this stuff into a pint of heavy in the corner of Phase 2, while people try to avoid eye contact.

13 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

We’re Tannadice bound next season I think…. Ross County and Plastic Whistle fighting for other space is my prediction.  TBH, would rather go to Firhill than the Highland hills in the middle of December 😕

Also factoring in the chances of occasional Friday night TV game and knowing our luck it would be matches away to Inverness and Ross County.

56 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Also factoring in the chances of occasional Friday night TV game and knowing our luck it would be matches away to Inverness and Ross County.

Not actually against this since there’s no way I’d make it up there for a Friday night… having the game on tv would work.  But yeah, take your point.   We’ll see what happens but looks like DU down for sure. Assuming they’ll be the club that will be going ‘all out’ to return to the Premiership.  Would be a good first game, us v them 

11 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Not actually against this since there’s no way I’d make it up there for a Friday night… having the game on tv would work.  But yeah, take your point.   We’ll see what happens but looks like DU down for sure. Assuming they’ll be the club that will be going ‘all out’ to return to the Premiership.  Would be a good first game, us v them 

Suspect given DUs current basket case status the odds of them having a hilarious Falkirk esque season must be reasonably high.

In terms of away crowds it's not really the money spinner that it could have been in previous years. ICT, Arbroath and QP will bring similar supports to Montrose, Alloa etc. If Ross County come down then them too.

Dunfermline, Ayr, Raith and Morton will bring your standard Championship away support. Dundee Utd's support will depend whether they are challenging or not.

Considering we had Falkirk, Queens and Dunfermline in the league this season it might not be a big increase in away supports overall. If Killie or Partick come/stay down it would certainly help.

15 hours ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

For what it's worth I thought Kurtis Roberts was/is a totally underrated player. It was a logical and justified signing at the time, for whatever reason he wasn't fancied and ultimately struggled with fitness issues. I genuinely wouldn't slam the door on him as a squad player even now.

Aye right enough that free kick to nobody our home game & similar pass to nobody in the 1-5 drubbing really made me think oh I wish he was still with us