The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Quite surprised Rhys didn't make your team: he was the first one I'd gone for. But it's tough indeed. I have no idea on our squad for the: 

Championship:

merely typing that word has me in wonderland.

Wanting to squeeze Gallagher in was the main reason. McCabe would make it into my best team over that period but the rules mean jobbers like John Boyle make it in instead.

2 hours ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Intrigued! Is P&B too highbrow for someone to suggest Kyle Connell as a signing? Some folks on here have a right downer about the facebook group and I really don't understand it.

The Facebook group at times suffers from 3 very real problems. 1. Utterly inane and attention seeking posting. 2. A fair chunk of utter knuckle dragging at times verging on genuinely disturbing posting (most recently on the Sal situation). 3 some genuinely terrible takes. Like, pick the worst, most clueless possible opinion to hold about anything to do with the club and it's there.

59 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We're too small a club to be signing players and immediately loaning to develop them especially with the short term contracts on offer these days. The players we sign need to be ready to compete in the championship.

50 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree, as you know I thought McMaster did well this year for us. I've never thought he was particularly special as a player but he did the job needed for us. In a team that dominated the ball he kept things ticking over. But next season that isn't going to be the case as much and we'll need someone a bit more battle hardened I think, I'm not at all convinced he's Championship standard yet, physically or technically.

I don’t really disagree with that. But there seems to have been chat he’s signing January when if it was up to I wouldn’t necessarily have room for him in the squad. 

42 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The Facebook group at times suffers from 3 very real problems. 1. Utterly inane and attention seeking posting. 2. A fair chunk of utter knuckle dragging at times verging on genuinely disturbing posting (most recently on the Sal situation). 3 some genuinely terrible takes. Like, pick the worst, most clueless possible opinion to hold about anything to do with the club and it's there.

Sounds like you're a regular facebook visitor, occasional poster? If you don't like memes you can scroll past them you know! Some might think your judgemental opinions could be seen as being divisive within the support? Each to their own I say but I suppose this is your playground so I'll agree to disagree.....

15 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Sounds like you're a regular facebook visitor, occasional poster? If you don't like memes you can scroll past them you know! Some might think your judgemental opinions could be seen as being divisive within the support? Each to their own I say but I suppose this is your playground so I'll agree to disagree.....

I'll scroll past memes no problem, more difficult to scroll past people trying to laugh off things like sexual assault.

On 22/05/2023 at 19:47, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Any Falkirk players you'd want to take? 🤭

The lot! Seriously our initial release list has no real surprises bar maybe Burrell although I think he'll go back down south although McPake seemed to quote him so maybe end up there. The rest are all under contract or have year options. If you wanted the likes of Leon back or Morrison you'd need to pay a fee. There's not much else you'd want really. The loans ie Kennedy, Kucheryavi were our best players. 

23 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

The lot! Seriously our initial release list has no real surprises bar maybe Burrell although I think he'll go back down south although McPake seemed to quote him so maybe end up there. The rest are all under contract or have year options. If you wanted the likes of Leon back or Morrison you'd need to pay a fee. There's not much else you'd want really. The loans ie Kennedy, Kucheryavi were our best players. 

What’s your honest opinion of Leon and do you think he could do a job in the Championship?   Don’t think there’s any chance he’ll be leaving you but interested to know 

29 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

What’s your honest opinion of Leon and do you think he could do a job in the Championship?   Don’t think there’s any chance he’ll be leaving you but interested to know 

Was very poor at the start of his three year deal after he signed BUT a lot of that is due to the to the fact we had the Holt/Sheerin factor then Rennie.. I just think he had zero confidence as did a lot. Over the last year or so he's came on a lot better and much more like the player we hoped when he signed. I like McCann, he's not the biggest and can get caught with balls over the top, I think the fact McGlynn signed Mackie to play left back when he came in also gave McCann the fire to say no this is my position and he fought and made it his own. Overall I think he could do a job in the championship. If we don't go up next season he'd be one of the few I'd be sad to see go.

Edited by ebobsboy

4 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I'd imagine we'll get an update in the next few days or at some point next week to see who is staying or going. Some of the players will be on holiday and I think it was around the end of May last year when we found out who officially signed contract extensions.

It would be amazing to keep the core of the squad together from last season, Gabby, Ballantyne, Rae, Smithy, Frizz, Gal and Devenny, would even go as far as offering two year deals and Ballantyne a year's extension. I said on here last season I was quietly confident that we'll keep the majority of the team together and I think we will this season, Smith seems most likely to go but I think the rest will stay, had we stayed in league 1 I think a good few would've left.

Going to be intriguing to see who we bring in, I love 'Silly Season' when random rumours get banded around. Not long until we see someone on the Facebook Group suggest signing the likes of 'Kyle Connell' and 'Jordan Allan' 😆

Some of the players are away together which is good ti see

12 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I'd imagine we'll get an update in the next few days or at some point next week to see who is staying or going. Some of the players will be on holiday and I think it was around the end of May last year when we found out who officially signed contract extensions.

It would be amazing to keep the core of the squad together from last season, Gabby, Ballantyne, Rae, Smithy, Frizz, Gal and Devenny, would even go as far as offering two year deals and Ballantyne a year's extension. I said on here last season I was quietly confident that we'll keep the majority of the team together and I think we will this season, Smith seems most likely to go but I think the rest will stay, had we stayed in league 1 I think a good few would've left.

Going to be intriguing to see who we bring in, I love 'Silly Season' when random rumours get banded around. Not long until we see someone on the Facebook Group suggest signing the likes of 'Kyle Connell' and 'Jordan Allan' 😆

Think our players are contracted to 31st of May, probably gives us an idea of when we will find out.

5 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Think our players are contracted to 31st of May

Presumably this is so they are contracted for the playoffs, was there not one year the players weren't signed for the period of the playoff final?

5 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Presumably this is so they are contracted for the playoffs, was there not one year the players weren't signed for the period of the playoff final?

2010 I think? Possibly other years as well. I remember Scott McLaughlin telling a story of the players being asked to sign a two week extension after the final league game and the players (quite rightly) demanding to be signed for an extra month. A bizarre cost-cutting move really when we’d been in the play-off final the three years before that, so not unlikely it would happen again.

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Quite surprised Rhys didn't make your team: he was the first one I'd gone for. But it's tough indeed. I have no idea on our squad for the: 

Championship:

merely typing that word has me in wonderland.

What will it be like in a year  when moving into premier 👍👍

10 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I can agree I did get OTT with the memes and carried away. Originally it was just to try bring some humour to the board as I agree it's sometimes unreal how negative it gets. As the shot at glory got nearer I could not stop. I no longer intend to post memes and stuff onto the forum from next season I'm bored of it now...lol. It certainly isn't attention seeking tho as I have a sidekick bringing more attention than I can handle...lol. I never read anything really on the Sal case as it was disturbing enough. Waited to see what club did and was happy with that. I am shocked to read some folk laughed it off. And yeah some folk can really drag out some shocking opinions. As I say I know my posts are marmite mate but blame yer fellow fans as they lap it up and I even get requests now. Onto next season and we have championship fitba, new adventures and far less memes and bigger colouring books. I can't wait. ♦️

13 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Not long until we see someone on the Facebook Group suggest signing the likes of 'Kyle Connell' and 'Jordan Allan' 😆

12 hours ago, AJ77 said:

100% agreed, Wouldn’t mind Connell in league 1 as backup, but no chance in the championship.

Anyone know what Liam Coogans or Liam Watt are up to these days?

Did think from a number of weeks back that Smith would probably be away, very much thought we could tempt Gabby into staying as he offers so much out wide, but as much as I think “let’s see”, we do have to be a bit ruthless this summer. Remember when we ended up in the First Division by default a week or two before the start of the season with a largely assembled Second Division team?

Don’t think I’ve seen a shout for Kai Kennedy over the last few pages, would be on the phone to secure his signature pronto. A player who has performed in the Championship for a few clubs. On the other wing, Connor Smith anyone?

Big few weeks coming up. Desperate to see a retained list, a link for season tickets and new strips.

39 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Don’t think I’ve seen a shout for Kai Kennedy over the last few pages, would be on the phone to secure his signature pronto. A player who has performed in the Championship for a few clubs. On the other wing, Connor Smith anyone?

Would take both, especially if Gabby is away, think Kennedy was on loan though so presumably done enough to stay at his parent club?