The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Been thinking quite a bit about the squad over the past few days and this is my take on things in regard to the existing 23-man squad…

GK

Josh Rae - First 11

Davie Hutton - Coach

DF

Cammy Ballantyne - First 11

Euan Deveney - Backup

Craig Watson - Backup

Jay Riley - Release

Callum Fordyce - First 11

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair - Undecided

Lachie Byrd - Release

MF

Rhys McCabe - First 11

Adam Frizzell - First 11

Justin Deveney - Backup

Dean McMaster - Backup

Ben Stanway - End of Loan

Charlie Telfer - Undecided

Murray Aiken - Loan

FW

Callum Gallagher - First 11

Callum Smith - First 11

Gabby McGill - First 11

Lewis McGregor - Backup

Joe Dixon - Release

Bright Prince - Release

Josh O’Connor - Loan

In terms of my releases, there aren’t as many as I thought there’d be when I started this - Hutts is an obvious one to move to a coaching only role (unless he’s desperately needed), while Riley, Lachie, Dixon and Bright Prince have hardly featured, if at all. I’m operating on the principle of us needing to jettison those who weren’t deemed ready for L1 so we’re as strong as we can be but it may be that the club see them as future prospects.

On the undecideds - I’m not the biggest fan of ATS, I’ll admit, but I completely acknowledge the impact he had and part he played in our success this season but I’m not convinced he’d be a feasible option in the Championship. He seems a nice guy and calming influence though, that the players clearly value, so could maybe have him as a player-coach? As for Telfer, I like him and think he does add something to a squad but just wonder if he’s a luxury we can afford, especially given we already have a number of midfielders and that I’d be looking to strengthen there.

The keeps make sense I think - we’ll need a squad next year and while I wouldn’t expect guys like Janny and Euan to start most weeks, it’d be foolish to assume they can’t do a job for us. The rest of the guys speak for themselves in terms of starters - assuming we keep them all. I had heard the Callum Smith chat too (Dundee seems to be the recurring theme on a pre-contract) and if guys like Gabby or Justin go, those would obviously be blows too.

My setup there, excluding the two undecideds gives us a 15-man squad so far but would like us to have at least 22 if possible, as we were far too light last season - for all we had 21 by the end, only around 15 of them really featured regularly. For me, that’d mean bringing in a GK, LB, CB x2, CM, FW x2. 

As to who they are? I really have no idea. However, I’d like to see us look at Jamie Baronjas (released by Kelty) and John Robertson (released by Edinburgh). I’d also consider bringing back Kieran MacDonald at LB but I don’t see it tbh.

I generally love this time of the season anyway, but prepping for a higher league is definitely making it more exciting!

28 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'll raise it.

Kerr McInroy, not even on the bench for Killie so doesn't look like McInnes fancies him but still another year on his contract. Loan a possibility if they stay up?

Would be exactly what we need in the championship!

Also, it’s only a matter of time until the inevitable suggestion of Kurtis Roberts! 

20 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

As to who they are? I really have no idea. However, I’d like to see us look at Jamie Baronjas (released by Kelty) and John Robertson (released by Edinburgh). I’d also consider bringing back Kieran MacDonald at LB but I don’t see it tbh.

Would like robertson as well looked a tricky player against us, Barjonas Raith or Dunfermline bound, Kieran Mcdonald going to Ek I think.

8 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Would like robertson as well looked a tricky player against us, Barjonas Raith or Dunfermline bound, Kieran Mcdonald going to Ek I think.

Barjonas, not for me. Wasn't impressed. Mcdonald is done as a player so no thanks. Robertson maybe 

28 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Would be exactly what we need in the championship!

Also, it’s only a matter of time until the inevitable suggestion of Kurtis Roberts! 

Rumours that Roberts is on Allo as radar, Thankfully..

Existing squad i   would imagine we will hear next week at the latest with contracts being up on 311 st....

I'd imagine we'll get an update in the next few days or at some point next week to see who is staying or going. Some of the players will be on holiday and I think it was around the end of May last year when we found out who officially signed contract extensions.

It would be amazing to keep the core of the squad together from last season, Gabby, Ballantyne, Rae, Smithy, Frizz, Gal and Devenny, would even go as far as offering two year deals and Ballantyne a year's extension. I said on here last season I was quietly confident that we'll keep the majority of the team together and I think we will this season, Smith seems most likely to go but I think the rest will stay, had we stayed in league 1 I think a good few would've left.

Going to be intriguing to see who we bring in, I love 'Silly Season' when random rumours get banded around. Not long until we see someone on the Facebook Group suggest signing the likes of 'Kyle Connell' and 'Jordan Allan' 😆

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

That's a fair effort and well balanced attacking side. I'll need a lot of time to look back over those seasons if I'm to make any other suggestions. 

I found this really difficult and omitted loan players so Turner is out.

Amazingly I have been unable to pick Cal Gal as the recent seasons are over loaded with others.

Quite difficult looking back at the poor seasons, so here goes in four four two.

Hutton 2019

Bain 2015

Fordyce 2021

Gregor Buchanan 2013

Josh Edwards 2018

Dylan Easton 2022

Craig Barr 2014

Rhys McCabe 2023 ( and Manager)

Callum Smith 2020

Andy Ryan 2017

Jimmy Lister 2016

Hope I've followed the rules. 

If I'd gone 4-3-3 I'd bring in Cal Gal for 2021 as Dycey was playing for Livingston in 2013 and with a temporary transfer,  he's miles  better than Buchanan!

Tough task .

3 minutes ago, Diamond diehard said:

Barjonas, not for me. Wasn't impressed. Mcdonald is done as a player so no thanks. Robertson maybe 

Arbroath have signed Leighton McIntosh as the main striker,  it just shows how few Goalscorer s are going around,  Morton just released Ally Roy as well,  we will no doubt hear how difficult the championship is,  Rhys cannot play and manage etc,   all this will be coming from teams that have signed McIntosh and Roy ffs ,    it will be difficult,  we might be the shot in the arm the Championship need...

13 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'd imagine we'll get an update in the next few days or at some point next week to see who is staying or going. Some of the players will be on holiday and I think it was around the end of May last year when we found out who officially signed contract extensions.

It would be amazing to keep the core of the squad together from last season, Gabby, Ballantyne, Rae, Smithy, Frizz, Gal and Devenny, would even go as far as offering two year deals and Ballantyne a year's extension. I said on here last season I was quietly confident that we'll keep the majority of the team together and I think we will this season, Smith seems most likely to go but I think the rest will stay, had we stayed in league 1 I think a good few would've left.

Going to be intriguing to see who we bring in, I love 'Silly Season' when random rumours get banded around. Not long until we see someone on the Facebook Group suggest signing the likes of 'Kyle Connell' and 'Jordan Allan' 😆

I’ve already seen shouts for Kyle Connell on twitter. He did well a couple of years ago but no thank you!

11 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I found this really difficult and omitted loan players so Turner is out.

Amazingly I have been unable to pick Cal Gal as the recent seasons are over loaded with others.

Quite difficult looking back at the poor seasons, so here goes in four four two.

Hutton 2019

Bain 2015

Fordyce 2021

Gregor Buchanan 2013

Josh Edwards 2018

Dylan Easton 2022

Craig Barr 2014

Rhys McCabe 2023 ( and Manager)

Callum Smith 2020

Andy Ryan 2017

Jimmy Lister 2016

Hope I've followed the rules. 

If I'd gone 4-3-3 I'd bring in Cal Gal for 2021 as Dycey was playing for Livingston in 2013 and with a temporary transfer,  he's miles  better than Buchanan!

Tough task .

A very different team to mine but also hard to argue with it. I’d have liked to have fitted Lister and Barr into mine. I suppose with these one change will affect quite a lot given you’re trying to fit players into a formation. 

Just now, Mr November said:

I’ve already seen shouts for Kyle Connell on twitter. He did well a couple of years ago but no thank you!

100% agreed, Wouldn’t mind Connell in league 1 as backup, but no chance in the championship.

16 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Intrigued! Is P&B too highbrow for someone to suggest Kyle Connell as a signing? Some folks on here have a right downer about the facebook group and I really don't understand it.

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

I’m a bigger Ian Murray stan than most but I’m surprised he’s getting a Premiership just now, even if he clearly isn’t Dundee’s first choice. For all he’d need to build a completely new team there, that might actually work out better for him than taking over a fully formed squad. I could definitely see him going for Callum Smith, as it’s clear how much he trusted him. I’m not sure any of our other players would be considered capable of that step up just now though.

*Currently on the phone to the SFA asking he can cancel Scott McGill’s transfer to Raith and sign him for Dundee*. 

6 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

What would be the point of signing and loaning McMaster?

I don’t think it would happen if he were to sign, and he’s a good player so I’d be happy to have him next season. But I’d definitely sign a starting holding midfielder so that would put them, and McCabe in front of him in the midfield pecking order and possibly Aiken too (not sure what sort of player he is). So that’s 3 and I wouldn’t start him further forward either, especially ahead of Frizzell or Devenny or even any potential new additions in that area of the park. He’d be a great option to have in terms of depth but I don’t think a few months out on loan to help him develop further physically in preparation for playing in the Championship would do him any harm. Happy to have him either way though. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I'll raise it.

Kerr McInroy, not even on the bench for Killie so doesn't look like McInnes fancies him but still another year on his contract. Loan a possibility if they stay up?

Oh my….. YES PLEASE!! If he’s not getting a regular run out with Killie then he may as well take that step down to Championship, even if it’s a loan.   I think he’d be brilliant in this side, especially if we lose McGill or Smith 

38 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I don’t think it would happen if he were to sign, and he’s a good player so I’d be happy to have him next season. But I’d definitely sign a starting holding midfielder so that would put them, and McCabe in front of him in the midfield pecking order and possibly Aiken too (not sure what sort of player he is). So that’s 3 and I wouldn’t start him further forward either, especially ahead of Frizzell or Devenny or even any potential new additions in that area of the park. He’d be a great option to have in terms of depth but I don’t think a few months out on loan to help him develop further physically in preparation for playing in the Championship would do him any harm. Happy to have him either way though. 

We're too small a club to be signing players and immediately loaning to develop them especially with the short term contracts on offer these days. The players we sign need to be ready to compete in the championship.

18 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Oh my….. YES PLEASE!! If he’s not getting a regular run out with Killie then he may as well take that step down to Championship, even if it’s a loan.   I think he’d be brilliant in this side, especially if we lose McGill or Smith 

He got a few run outs early in the season before getting benched and very rarely getting on. He's not even made the bench in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

6 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

We're too small a club to be signing players and immediately loaning to develop them especially with the short term contracts on offer these days. The players we sign need to be ready to compete in the championship.

I agree, as you know I thought McMaster did well this year for us. I've never thought he was particularly special as a player but he did the job needed for us. In a team that dominated the ball he kept things ticking over. But next season that isn't going to be the case as much and we'll need someone a bit more battle hardened I think, I'm not at all convinced he's Championship standard yet, physically or technically.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

He got a few run outs early in the season before getting benched and very rarely getting on. He's not even made the bench in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

If I was Rhys I’d be all over this. Not sure if A*r U*d would be back in for him but maybe our style of football and the team could convince him.  Unless a newly promoted team to the top league, say P**tick Th***Le made it, they may be interested in him. Otherwise he could have the pick of 3/4 Championship teams.  Didn’t he have a Dunfermline connection? 

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

A very different team to mine but also hard to argue with it. I’d have liked to have fitted Lister and Barr into mine. I suppose with these one change will affect quite a lot given you’re trying to fit players into a formation. 

Quite surprised Rhys didn't make your team: he was the first one I'd gone for. But it's tough indeed. I have no idea on our squad for the: 

Championship:

merely typing that word has me in wonderland.