The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

36 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

With ATS my concern would partly be fitness related. If you look at the second half of his career he tends to only play around half the games in a season. I've no idea why or what issues he's had (if any, may just have been form) but it would be a question mark for me, although McCabe will obviously know more. Also next season will be a slightly different challenge than this year, he was ideal this year in a team that had most of the possession, Fordyce was the aggressive one and ATS would sweep up and play it out from the back really well. You'd expect next year will be much more about defenders defending. Plus I'm not sure he's that versatile now, playing left back for a sustained run of games in the Championship would be too much for him I think.

I feel like I've made a case for him leaving however I thought he was our unsung hero this season, barely put a foot wrong. Absolutely loved the calm, professional way he went about his business. If McCabe thinks he can offer something for us next season I'd be delighted to see him stay.

Yeah, you make a totally fair point. I guess ultimately it would do no harm having him in the squad next season if he is not assessed as too much of an injury risk. However if he's taking up a decent wage while there's doubt hanging over him, maybe move him on. Like you say, can trust the manager to make the call.

1 hour ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Who would anyone take up from League 1, realistically, if we could? I'd probably take Lee Connolly from QoS. Would fit into the system quite well. Genuinely can't think of many others off the top of my head...

I liked John Robertson who has left Edinburgh. I think he’d work well as an option as one of our hard working wide forwards.

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

Keep
Rae, Hutton, Ballantyne, Fordyce, Taylor-Sinclair, Watson, Devenny, Frizzell, McCabe, McGregor, McMaster, Gallagher, McGill, Prince, Smith

Punt
Byrd, Deveney, Riley, Stanway, Telfer, Dixon

Rae is a very good keeper, the best we’ve had for a long time. If we have funds to bring in a decent backup then great, if not I’m fine with Hutton as a backup and coach, abusing the emergency loan system when required.

Ballantyne is signed up and Fordyce will be around if McCabe is. I’d keep ATS as backup for his experience and calmness, though starting may be beyond him a league above. I think Watson might struggle defensively but an easy choice to stay around. Deveney was very hit and miss but I’d let him go, he has potential but we need better if we’re stepping up a level. Byrd had limited game time but I’d rather bring in a better centre back and use ATS and McCabe as backup. A new starting quality full back and centre back required.

Frizzell and Devenny obvious choices to stay, while McMaster is seemingly signed up. I’m still not convinced McGregor has too much beyond pace but I’d give him another go, he made a huge impact at the weekend. Telfer played very well in the last two games and I think he’s done alright overall but I reckon we can find a better player for our style for his presumably decent wages. Like @Diamonds are Forever, I was hugely impressed by Scott Martin (more than Connor Smith) and think a midfield of a sitter, Martin and Frizzell would be a great balance. 

Lifetime contract for Gallagher. McGill and Smith easy choices to keep too, while I think Bright is under contract. The last five months feel like a waste of Joe Dixon’s time but I wish him all the best. We need more options in these positions. I presume Josh O’Connor will be an option as a wide forward and I’d like a more physical option through the middle for games where Gallagher either needs a bit of support or is struggling against two big brutes.

If we can bring in a new full back (either side is fine), a quicker centre back to play beside Fordyce and a strong holding midfielder then I think we’ll have a good basis to build from, assuming we keep everyone we want to. A better option to challenge Devenny in midfield too would be ideal. I certainly think our front three are good enough to go up a level and score plenty, if we can improve behind them then I’d fancy us to do alright.

It looks to me that O Connor was signed as a S mith replacement_ I think they are pretty similar in style,  Smith to Dundee is the rumour I have heard,  also on the Morton thread they are linked with local boy Adam Frizzell...although I expect Frizz to resign..

the one aspect of Rhys's tenure in charge that needs to improve  is recruitment,  i would love to know the reason why we want into the September window needing 2 players instead we lost 1 Sal to stranraer,  that tail end of the window and Frizz getting injured really hindered us numbers wise and results wise.....

the players I would expect to Move On would be Byrd,  Dixon, Deveney,  Smith,   as well as the loanees obviously...  

we need a stronger squad this year, numbers and quality wise....  I fully expect this to happen,  the club probably knew this was their last chance with this group to go up before the window closed and forced to start again...    Still buzzin..

Its an exciting time to be Airdrie fan, and unlike previous years its nice to be in a position to be talking about players we can take from other clubs as opposed to worrying about losing our best players to clubs in higher divisions. With this in mind, players worth considering from League 1 clubs who those clubs won't want to lose and may be keen to test themselves at a higher level.

Stanger(CH) & Church(LB) from Alloa

Callumn Morrison from Falkirk

John Robertson from Edinburgh

As has been suggested by others, Connor Smith and to a lesser extent Daniel O'Reilly were impressive in the 2 games v Hamilton. Although not a old fashioned dominant centre half, O'Reilly looked solid and with him being left sided, appears an ideal partner for Fordyce

Interesting to see Brody Patterson has been freed from Hartlepool today. Would love to see Kyle Turner back also, but suspect he may have higher ambitions

Those added to some experienced old heads and we can look forward to holding our own in the Championship.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

Was thinking of this earlier and laughing about the fact that last season they were all over our thread telling us they'd take whichever players they'd want from us with impunity. I would love to do the same but genuinely think none of them would make our team bar maybe Leon as we need a left back

I don’t think Leon has progressed at all since he left us. I would imagine we could get way better LBs than him.

I’d definitely take Morrison and Henderson though. Think they’ve both been standouts for Falkirk this season.

19 minutes ago, Mabawsa Ritchie said:

Its an exciting time to be Airdrie fan, and unlike previous years its nice to be in a position to be talking about players we can take from other clubs as opposed to worrying about losing our best players to clubs in higher divisions. With this in mind, players worth considering from League 1 clubs who those clubs won't want to lose and may be keen to test themselves at a higher level.

Stanger(CH) & Church(LB) from Alloa

Callumn Morrison from Falkirk

John Robertson from Edinburgh

As has been suggested by others, Connor Smith and to a lesser extent Daniel O'Reilly were impressive in the 2 games v Hamilton. Although not a old fashioned dominant centre half, O'Reilly looked solid and with him being left sided, appears an ideal partner for Fordyce

Interesting to see Brody Patterson has been freed from Hartlepool today. Would love to see Kyle Turner back also, but suspect he may have higher ambitions

Those added to some experienced old heads and we can look forward to holding our own in the Championship.

Was expecting Hartlepool to release Paterson and wouldn’t be surprised if we’re in for him. Would love Turner who I believe is out of contract but Thistle will want to keep him. If they lose in the playoffs would he consider a move to another team in the Championship? Possibly. Would we be able to offer as much money as Thistle? Probably not. Is he represented by Consilium Sports Group? You better believe he is.

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Was thinking of this earlier and laughing about the fact that last season they were all over our thread telling us they'd take whichever players they'd want from us with impunity. I would love to do the same but genuinely think none of them would make our team bar maybe Leon as we need a left back

Leon was the first name that came to mind for me.   Last season he was rarely in the team and was an out of favour option.  This season much better but Falkirk got the Airdrie bug and shat the bed in the playoffs so no Championship football for him.   I think he originally signed a 3 year deal with a year left, so not seeing him making any kind of move if Falkirk want to keep him for next seasons push.  But I’d have him back in a minute.  Fordyce, McCann, Ballantyne and another upgrade defender?   Yes please. Face it, he went to Falkirk to make the next level which hasn’t happened - who knows if he’s getting impatient 

2 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Leon was the first name that came to mind for me.   Last season he was rarely in the team and was an out of favour option.  This season much better but Falkirk got the Airdrie bug and shat the bed in the playoffs so no Championship football for him.   I think he originally signed a 3 year deal with a year left, so not seeing him making any kind of move if Falkirk want to keep him for next seasons push.  But I’d have him back in a minute.  Fordyce, McCann, Ballantyne and another upgrade defender?   Yes please. Face it, he went to Falkirk to make the next level which hasn’t happened - who knows if he’s getting impatient 

I've never been sold on McCann, and certainly not for the Championship. If we didn't know about him from having played with us previously I don't think there's anyone who would have looked at him in the last 2 years and thought he'd be a particularly good signing. Defensively there were always question marks and that was in League 1. Last we saw him he was somehow dodging a red card after hauling down Ben Stanway giving a penalty away. No chance of it happening anyway as he's under contract.

I thought Paterson was a better player and has a much higher ceiling than McCann. No idea of his availability though and I know he had a bad injury.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I thought Paterson was a better player and has a much higher ceiling than McCann. No idea of his availability though and I know he had a bad injury.

I liked Brody too…. But honestly, I’m not sure he’d be ready for Championship football.  I’ve not followed him since he left last year but hoping he kicks on,  seemed like a good lad  

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Nope, he's no Euan Devenny. ♦️

3 minutes ago, Diamond72 said:

Leon McCann will be the first to admit that he is plaing football in L1, not through lack of footballing ability, but a lack of height and physique needed for the higher leagues.

If Leon does think that I think he's mistaken, or looking for an excuse as to why he's not at a higher level. Nothing wrong with his physique at all, he's quick and strong. Yes he's small but that's not a major issue for a full-back, he's taller than Greg Taylor who plays for Celtic and Scotland. He's at this level because he has the ability of a decent League 1 full-back.

12 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

Utter respect to the younger fans, you have earned this. I started following the club around 1970, and had the joy of a great team to follow in the 70's a Cup Final, a Texaco Cup Final and a Spring Cup win. We had a spell in the top flight in the 80's and then the great 90's with 2 Cup Finals, and a  jaunt into Europe.

I think that those memories and the joy I got from them helped me through some grim times this century. Last Saturday was a return to those great days, with an evening of sheer joy.

So what about next season, we have just spent 210 minutes against a team that is weaker than any we face next season, and we couldn't beat them in regulation time, not good. However, anyone who followed the team through the entire season will have seen dramatic improvement in a number pf players abilities through the season, so the coaching is good. We have also seen improvement in Rhys' management of the games, so management is improving. If both can carry on improving, then we have every chance. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Much as I agree with your post, can I gently point out that we did beat Hamilton in regulation time in the first leg. It's difficult to judge future prospects against other Championship sides on the basis of this play off format, but I'm looking forward to next season.

18 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agree with most of this. I think Euan Deveney will turn into a good player, he's still very soft defensively (as the 2nd goal showed on Saturday) but is decent on the ball and has had some good performances this year. He's still only 20 and the defensive side of the game will improve. However he isn't ready to be a starter in the Championship yet so he'd be signed on the basis that he'll develop and play the odd game as back-up. Not sure.

I thought there was very little between us and Hamilton which I'm actually encouraged by. If you work on the basis that we will be looking to improve in at least 3 or 4 positions then currently being the equivalent of a 9th placed team in the Championship isn't a bad starting point. With those additions we'll hopefully be good enough to be around mid-table.

Arbroath, Hamilton and Cove have been 3 of the worst Championship teams I have seen by far the last 5 year. We have all been absolutely stinking. That Hamilton team was so very bad for Championship level, ask their own fans.

The top 7 were actually all very good this year too up until a certain point when it’s the business end and the results matter more and pressure hits where everyone seems to go all over the place. 

I think it’s a pretty big step up from L1. You’re basically playing teams better or probably similar to how Dunfermline were for you this year every single week. 

A good back 4 and keeper for me is the most important thing. We survived on that alone 

9 hours ago, Diamond diehard said:

Don't understand the Leon chat at all. Cammy is a far better left back than him and he's not even a natural left back. Let's set our sights a bit higher than that please. 

Exactly, bang average League 1 jobber, we need an upgrade and the team in general needs more height. 

17 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Surprised to see some unsure about Smith. He’d be one of the first I’d be trying to keep along with Frizzell. He maybe hasn’t been as good as last season, but towards the end of last season he was ridiculous. One of the best grafters we’ve got and never leaves anything on the pitch. He might not be as prolific as Gallagher or McGill but his overall play has been so so important to this team.

9 hours ago, Diamond diehard said:

Callum Smith is integral to the way we play and I hope to f..k he stays with us along with the vast majority of others. A few additions in key areas will hopefully see us good. Smithy is an athlete and works so hard defensivly too. brilliant team player. 

Likewise. I've said it before but I think this Smith has regressed from last season talk is grossly over-stated. He had a brilliant end to the season last year, and put in one of the best, if not the best, individual performances I've ever seen in Airdrie shirt. He ended last season on 16 goals. He scored 13 this season, so that's hardly a downturn at all in terms of goals scored, and in fact is probably a better contribution over the course of the season when you consider how many of Smith's goals last year came in the last quarter and in the play-offs. I suppose you could argue over which is better. But it's not only that, he's hugely important to how we play and how we attack teams. The way he carries the team, and the ball, up the park, presses and attacks defenders, brings the ball into and around the box. We'd be a much worse team and score a lot less without him. I also think he's almost always amongst our better players against teams in the Championship and above. He'd be a huge loss and I'd be gutted if he left. I'll remember that Montrose play-off hat-trick forever. 

I can't remember who it was but somebody mentioned how Gal tends to get the plaudits rather than Gabby. I think I've spoken about it on the podcast before, but I think it's worth bringing up how many times Gabby pops up with a big goal. His goal on Saturday was the most important Airdrie goal in years (maybe the most important in the last 20). But there was also the one away to Falkirk a couple of weeks ago (arguable how important the 7th goal in a 7-2 play-off final win is but you know what I mean 😂), the goal to put us 1-0 up v Cove, the 6th in the Montrose play-off which was actually the goal that won it even with Smith and Afolabi's heroics and I'm sure he got a lateish winner or equaliser v Clyde last season? There might be more too that I can't recall off the top of my head. He's some man. Lifetime contract please!