The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

14 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

As an absolutely mature fan in my mid 70s, I endorse every word you posted. 

As a (slightly) less mature fan than Chapelhall Chap, I would also endorse your comments. I remember freezing my bits off at a scottish cup tie at Arbroath in the early seventies. January , and the only reason it was on was because the TV cameras  had turned up. I'd also like to add that I think the current team are the best "footballing" Airdrie side I have watched in seven decades. 

22 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Now the dust has settled a little bit....Congratulations!

Easy the best team i seen at LP last campaign, so going by that fully deserve to go up.Enjoy!

P.S Can we get Cammy back please and thank you.

Thank you!!!

p.s NO 

29 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'm going to take a slightly blunter approach to others and say that Watson, ATS and Telfer are not good enough for the Championship and the top half of L1 is their ceiling. 

I’m agreeing with this.  Telfer did well in the playoffs but feel the Championship will definitely be a stretch for him.  Watson is solid L1, think he could do a decent job for us next season but believe we can get a better quality player.  Physically he’s what we need and wouldn’t be easily bullied so this one is tough but I’d say move him on.  ATS, I think he is solid L1 and could easily be part of a successful team pushing for promotion or playoffs.  

For Callum Smith, I’m pretty much letting this one play out and if he stays then great.   

id take his brother in a minute, all day Saturday I had the fear when he got the ball.  I say sign that man! 

Edited by FLDiamond

2 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

I’m agreeing with this.  Telfer did well in the playoffs but feel the Championship will definitely be a stretch for him.  Watson is solid L1, think he could do a decent job for us next season but believe we can get a better quality player.  Physically he’s what we need and wouldn’t be easily bullied so this one is tough but I’d say move him on.  ATS, I think he is solid L1 and could easily be part of a successful team pushing for promotion or playoffs.  

For Callum Smith, I’m pretty much letting this one play out and if he stays then great.   

id take his brother in a minute, all day Saturday I had the fear when he got the ball.  I say sign that man! 

Tbf to Telfer he has played championship football before albeit in the better team but there’s certainly talent in the lad and I would take him as a replacement if Spencer leaves us, we need something different in the midfield and I think he would bring that whether he would be a regular starter is another question because we would have Brown and Matthews playing there plus the likes of Stanton, Easton and Vaughan all in the No10 role 

33 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I am also going to controversially say it might be time for Callum Smith to move on. Great guy and has been a really useful player for a while now, but this season he has been posted missing a lot since Xmas and great goal aside was pretty anonymous in both games of the play off final.

I’m not overly confident he’ll be here next season. He gets asked in the Airdrie Fan TV video and his answer isn’t convincing! 

From a purely sentimental point of view I’d be gutted if Smithy left as he’s been a really important player for us for the past couple of years and he’s stepped up for us in some big games. However as you say, I think he’s regressed from last season and has been particularly poor for months now. 

A player that, if he plays to his full potential, could be an asset for us in the Championship. However whether he’s able to do that next season who knows.

Whoever stays and whoever goes, I have faith in Rhys to make the right calls on who he wants to retain as well as a confidence that he will also know the sort of players he wants in to improve our team ready for an assault on the Championship. 

With respect to our Raith Rovers pal commenting about wanting Smith, I don't think we are planning on making up the numbers next season, but pushing for a top half finish, maybe even going for the play offs again, now that we have finally mastered them. 😂 

Seriously though, I'm hopeful that we won't get our best players picked off by other championship teams now effectively our competition next season, but if we do, then I am sure Rhys will bring in someone of equal or better ability. 

Surprised to see some unsure about Smith. He’d be one of the first I’d be trying to keep along with Frizzell. He maybe hasn’t been as good as last season, but towards the end of last season he was ridiculous. One of the best grafters we’ve got and never leaves anything on the pitch. He might not be as prolific as Gallagher or McGill but his overall play has been so so important to this team.

Keep
Rae, Hutton, Ballantyne, Fordyce, Taylor-Sinclair, Watson, Devenny, Frizzell, McCabe, McGregor, McMaster, Gallagher, McGill, Prince, Smith

Punt
Byrd, Deveney, Riley, Stanway, Telfer, Dixon

Rae is a very good keeper, the best we’ve had for a long time. If we have funds to bring in a decent backup then great, if not I’m fine with Hutton as a backup and coach, abusing the emergency loan system when required.

Ballantyne is signed up and Fordyce will be around if McCabe is. I’d keep ATS as backup for his experience and calmness, though starting may be beyond him a league above. I think Watson might struggle defensively but an easy choice to stay around. Deveney was very hit and miss but I’d let him go, he has potential but we need better if we’re stepping up a level. Byrd had limited game time but I’d rather bring in a better centre back and use ATS and McCabe as backup. A new starting quality full back and centre back required.

Frizzell and Devenny obvious choices to stay, while McMaster is seemingly signed up. I’m still not convinced McGregor has too much beyond pace but I’d give him another go, he made a huge impact at the weekend. Telfer played very well in the last two games and I think he’s done alright overall but I reckon we can find a better player for our style for his presumably decent wages. Like @Diamonds are Forever, I was hugely impressed by Scott Martin (more than Connor Smith) and think a midfield of a sitter, Martin and Frizzell would be a great balance. 

Lifetime contract for Gallagher. McGill and Smith easy choices to keep too, while I think Bright is under contract. The last five months feel like a waste of Joe Dixon’s time but I wish him all the best. We need more options in these positions. I presume Josh O’Connor will be an option as a wide forward and I’d like a more physical option through the middle for games where Gallagher either needs a bit of support or is struggling against two big brutes.

If we can bring in a new full back (either side is fine), a quicker centre back to play beside Fordyce and a strong holding midfielder then I think we’ll have a good basis to build from, assuming we keep everyone we want to. A better option to challenge Devenny in midfield too would be ideal. I certainly think our front three are good enough to go up a level and score plenty, if we can improve behind them then I’d fancy us to do alright.

Belated congratulations to you all.  Think McPake said it all when he commented that Airdrie were the best team we’d faced all season - he was right.

The way you play football at times, you’re in danger of becoming likeable 😉

43 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

With respect to our Raith Rovers pal commenting about wanting Smith, I don't think we are planning on making up the numbers next season, but pushing for a top half finish, maybe even going for the play offs again, now that we have finally mastered them. 😂 

I’m not saying you’ll be here to make the numbers far from it, I’m just saying I would take smith at us for a different dimension, and this league is tough and if you do recruit correctly then you’ll be safe and fighting for top 6/playoffs… but recruit disastrously then could end up like cove or Hamilton 

Edited by RRFC_Liam

38 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Keep
Rae, Hutton, Ballantyne, Fordyce, Taylor-Sinclair, Watson, Devenny, Frizzell, McCabe, McGregor, McMaster, Gallagher, McGill, Prince, Smith

Punt

Rae is a very good keeper, the best we’ve had for a long time. If we have funds to bring in a decent backup then great, if not I’m fine with Hutton as a backup and coach, abusing the emergency loan system when required.

Ballantyne is signed up and Fordyce will be around if McCabe is. I’d keep ATS as backup for his experience and calmness, though starting may be beyond him a league above. I think Watson might struggle defensively but an easy choice to stay around. Deveney was very hit and miss but I’d let him go, he has potential but we need better if we’re stepping up a level. Byrd had limited game time but I’d rather bring in a better centre back and use ATS and McCabe as backup. A new starting quality full back and centre back required.

Frizzell and Devenny obvious choices to stay, while McMaster is seemingly signed up. I’m still not convinced McGregor has too much beyond pace but I’d give him another go, he made a huge impact at the weekend. Telfer played very well in the last two games and I think he’s done alright overall but I reckon we can find a better player for our style for his presumably decent wages. Like @Diamonds are Forever, I was hugely impressed by Scott Martin (more than Connor Smith) and think a midfield of a sitter, Martin and Frizzell would be a great balance. 

Lifetime contract for Gallagher. McGill and Smith easy choices to keep too, while I think Bright is under contract. The last five months feel like a waste of Joe Dixon’s time but I wish him all the best. We need more options in these positions. I presume Josh O’Connor will be an option as a wide forward and I’d like a more physical option through the middle for games where Gallagher either needs a bit of support or is struggling against two big brutes.

If we can bring in a new full back (either side is fine), a quicker centre back to play beside Fordyce and a strong holding midfielder then I think we’ll have a good basis to build from, assuming we keep everyone we want to. A better option to challenge Devenny in midfield too would be ideal. I certainly think our front three are good enough to go up a level and score plenty, if we can improve behind them then I’d fancy us to do alright.

Agree with this, Deveney, Telfer and ATS are the only debatable ones for me. I think Deveney will become a decent left-back but he's not ready to start in the Championship yet, and I'm not sure we have the resources to have players like that. ATS was a revelation this season, but physically will he cope in the Championship now? Seems to have had fitness issues at times this year. Telfer I'm 50/50 on, I thought he was superb on Saturday and showed that on his day he's easily good enough for that level. However he's also had some poor performances. With all 3 it partly depends on what the realistic alternatives are, sometimes a known quantity who already know how to work under McCabe is better than taking a punt on a new signing.

On the goalies, I think we really need to get a back-up this year. I'm full of admiration for the way we played the loan system this year but the problem with promotion is that the pool of emergency loan keepers shrinks considerably, anyone from Championship or Premiership would have been fine this year but next year it's only really Premiership goalies. Plus the required standard of the goalie would be higher. However it's easier said than done getting someone in, no self-respecting, good goalie will sign up to be second choice all season.

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Keep

Punt

Prince for the championship don't think so .Devenny  looked good when he came on, infact I thought he was outstanding .

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agree with this, Deveney, Telfer and ATS are the only debatable ones for me. I think Deveney will become a decent left-back but he's not ready to start in the Championship yet, and I'm not sure we have the resources to have players like that. ATS was a revelation this season, but physically will he cope in the Championship now? Seems to have had fitness issues at times this year. Telfer I'm 50/50 on, I thought he was superb on Saturday and showed that on his day he's easily good enough for that level. However he's also had some poor performances. With all 3 it partly depends on what the realistic alternatives are, sometimes a known quantity who already know how to work under McCabe is better than taking a punt on a new signing.

On the goalies, I think we really need to get a back-up this year. I'm full of admiration for the way we played the loan system this year but the problem with promotion is that the pool of emergency loan keepers shrinks considerably, anyone from Championship or Premiership would have been fine this year but next year it's only really Premiership goalies. Plus the required standard of the goalie would be higher. However it's easier said than done getting someone in, no self-respecting, good goalie will sign up to be second choice all season.

All fair points. Deveney has undoubtedly improved but I think he needs another season at League One before he can think about moving up. I actually think a team like Hamilton could do a lot worse than give him a chance. 

I don’t think ATS would be capable of starting regularly. I have a lot of time for the big man and have been an ATS truther all season but I think he lacks the pace to play regularly at that level. His experience and calmness are vital in a young squad though and he seems to improve the players around him. Depending on his wage I think he’s worth keeping around as an experienced backup.

I reckon McCabe will offer Telfer a new deal and I’d be ok with that. As I said, I think he’s been alright overall this season but probably our best player over the last two games. Perhaps playing in a tougher league where need to control possession to win games rather than just relentlessly attack might suit him more? I suppose it might come down to if we have the budget for Frizzell, Devenny, Aiken, McMaster, McCabe, Telfer and another quality midfielder.

16 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Prince for the championship don't think so .Devenny  looked good when he came on, infact I thought he was outstanding .

Oh yeah no chance would I want Bright as someone who might feature lots, I just included him as I think he’s under contract. Admittedly I haven’t seen him play but I suspect he’s miles off the level needed just now, so another loan move would be best.

I think we've got to look at keeping ATS for his versatility alone. Not forgetting he's played at SPL level before. He is fine with the game in front of him and works well when he has Fordyce next to him to go and engage first. Put it this way, if we casually let him go we could be cursing ourselves if we have a defensive injury crisis next season.

Telfer would also be a keeper for me. Again he has coped fine at Championship level with Morton and Dundee Utd - plus we need a strong squad going up a league so would seem strange to me to let these guys go if they are happy enough to stay on anyway.

Who would anyone take up from League 1, realistically, if we could? I'd probably take Lee Connolly from QoS. Would fit into the system quite well. Genuinely can't think of many others off the top of my head...

22 minutes ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

I think we've got to look at keeping ATS for his versatility alone. Not forgetting he's played at SPL level before. He is fine with the game in front of him and works well when he has Fordyce next to him to go and engage first. Put it this way, if we casually let him go we could be cursing ourselves if we have a defensive injury crisis next season.

Telfer would also be a keeper for me. Again he has coped fine at Championship level with Morton and Dundee Utd - plus we need a strong squad going up a league so would seem strange to me to let these guys go if they are happy enough to stay on anyway.

Who would anyone take up from League 1, realistically, if we could? I'd probably take Lee Connolly from QoS. Would fit into the system quite well. Genuinely can't think of many others off the top of my head...

If we still have a decent relationship with Celtic for loans I think Ewan Otoo could be worth a punt. Thought he looked good against us for Dunfermline in the two games at Airdrie.

1 minute ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

If we still have a decent relationship with Celtic for loans I think Ewan Otoo could be worth a punt. Thought he looked good against us for Dunfermline in the two games at Airdrie.

Rumours are he’s off to England for under 23’s football and decent cash.    

21 minutes ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

With ATS my concern would partly be fitness related. If you look at the second half of his career he tends to only play around half the games in a season. I've no idea why or what issues he's had (if any, may just have been form) but it would be a question mark for me, although McCabe will obviously know more. Also next season will be a slightly different challenge than this year, he was ideal this year in a team that had most of the possession, Fordyce was the aggressive one and ATS would sweep up and play it out from the back really well. You'd expect next year will be much more about defenders defending. Plus I'm not sure he's that versatile now, playing left back for a sustained run of games in the Championship would be too much for him I think.

I feel like I've made a case for him leaving however I thought he was our unsung hero this season, barely put a foot wrong. Absolutely loved the calm, professional way he went about his business. If McCabe thinks he can offer something for us next season I'd be delighted to see him stay.

17 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Any Falkirk players you'd want to take? 🤭

Was thinking of this earlier and laughing about the fact that last season they were all over our thread telling us they'd take whichever players they'd want from us with impunity. I would love to do the same but genuinely think none of them would make our team bar maybe Leon as we need a left back