The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

On 03/05/2023 at 13:45, David Fernández said:

It's nice to have a genuine discussion with like minded Airdrie fans and also discussions with fans of other teams as well. I've found the majority of Airdrie posters on here pretty reasonable in comparision to the Facebook group. I don't have twitter but I can imagine some views on there will be pretty wild too.

On the Facebook Group about the game on Saturday one guy sounded as if he needed therapy after the defeat to QOS on and was raging that we rested players then yesterday another guy put up a photo saying 'don't you know pump it up Airdrie's going up' there's no in between. It's either delusion or a graveyard of misery.

Just to add mate I put that up as pure banter. I like everyone hope we do go up but I am far from delusional to think it's a stick on...we gotta believe tho, even when the track record isn't good 👍🏻♦️

1 hour ago, DiamondT said:

Just to add mate I put that up as pure banter. I like everyone hope we do go up but I am far from delusional to think it's a stick on...we gotta believe tho, even when the track record isn't good 👍🏻♦️

Totally get that mate, I added another post on here appreciating that you near enough attend every game and that I liked your Ted Lasso meme (one of my favourite tv shows atm). It was just a comment about the Facebook group as opposed to any individuals.

I'm pretty nervous for the play offs so the 'don't you know pump it up photo' I was a bit like 'aw naw' 😄. If the photo was a bit 'tongue and cheek banter' then I apologise if it may have cause offence. Like everyone I hope we go up this year and if we do, I hope you have many good memes ready for the Facebook page ♦️

Edited by David Fernández

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Totally get that mate, I added another post on here appreciating that you near enough attend every game and that I liked your Ted Lasso meme (one of my favourite tv shows atm). It was just a comment about the Facebook group as opposed to any individuals.

I'm pretty nervous for the play offs so the 'don't you know pump it up photo' I was a bit like 'aw naw' 😄. If the photo was a bit 'tongue and cheek banter' then I apologise if it may have cause offence. Like everyone I hope we go up this year and if we do, I hope you have many good memes ready for the Facebook page ♦️

No offense taken at all. 

I am really nervous but we need to win them at some point eh !!

Haha, I'll think of something probably...but I'm getting sick of them as well now. 

I've actually not missed a game this season. First time I've ever managed that so hopefully it'll end in glory 🤞♦️

A very impressive season for our strikers this year. Gallagher (22), McGill (15), Smith (10) and even Jamieson (8) have all had a good return in the league, as well as a few cup goals between them too. I think Gallagher has played fewer minutes than Paton too, as well as having more assists, so hopefully that gives him the edge for top goalscorer. It’s a meaningless award for us but he seems desperate to win it. A ridiculous season for him, 30 goals/assists in the league is some going.

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

A very impressive season for our strikers this year. Gallagher (22), McGill (15), Smith (10) and even Jamieson (8) have all had a good return in the league, as well as a few cup goals between them too. I think Gallagher has played fewer minutes than Paton too, as well as having more assists, so hopefully that gives him the edge for top goalscorer. It’s a meaningless award for us but he seems desperate to win it. A ridiculous season for him, 30 goals/assists in the league is some going.

Great result going into play offs ,well done team and manager ,

FYI - I know it was mentioned a before our last game about O’Hara & Todorov getting new deals, would Airdrie be a possible destination if not etc. Both have confirmed on twitter tonight that they’re leaving the club, I suspect Kyle McDonald may be too, obviously know his connection with you. 

8 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

FYI - I know it was mentioned a before our last game about O’Hara & Todorov getting new deals, would Airdrie be a possible destination if not etc. Both have confirmed on twitter tonight that they’re leaving the club, I suspect Kyle McDonald may be too, obviously know his connection with you. 

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised with either signing. O’Hara fits the hard working forward who can play out wide that we like, though I don’t think he’d bring the same goals as McGill or Smith. The Todorov idea was purely because of his agent, most of our signings seem to be represented by or linked to Jackie McNamara in some way. McCabe and Fordyce seem terrified of Todorov too, see panicking and changing a sub to bring on big Byrd in the 4-3 game when Todorov started getting ready, so I’m sure they’d like him as an option. I suspect he’ll get a Championship club though.

We hopefully won’t need a right back, as Ballantyne is signed up and Watson will presumably still be around. I liked Kyle MacDonald at Airdrie but his performances in the play-offs last season put me off him.

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised with either signing. O’Hara fits the hard working forward who can play out wide that we like, though I don’t think he’d bring the same goals as McGill or Smith. The Todorov idea was purely because of his agent, most of our signings seem to be represented by or linked to Jackie McNamara in some way. McCabe and Fordyce seem terrified of Todorov too, see panicking and changing a sub to bring on big Byrd in the 4-3 game when Todorov started getting ready, so I’m sure they’d like him as an option. I suspect he’ll get a Championship club though.

We hopefully won’t need a right back, as Ballantyne is signed up and Watson will presumably still be around. I liked Kyle MacDonald at Airdrie but his performances in the play-offs last season put me off him.

I suspect the ultimate car crash interview before the play offs played on him a bit. Like you say though, I'd have Ballantyne and Watson over him.

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

MacDonald's a weird one, when he was initially with us I never saw him as being more than a standard League 1 full-back. Got a move then came back last season, played a few games, then barely played until the play-offs where he was poor in the semi-final and then dropped for the final.

I got the impression that Dunfermline fans rated him, although I could have made that up. I'd have him in exactly the same bracket as Watson and Ballantyne - a decent enough full-back for this level. Like you say if Watson and Ballantyne are still here then there's no point signing him as I don't think he's any better than them.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

MacDonald's a weird one, when he was initially with us I never saw him as being more than a standard League 1 full-back. Got a move then came back last season, played a few games, then barely played until the play-offs where he was poor in the semi-final and then dropped for the final.

I got the impression that Dunfermline fans rated him, although I could have made that up. I'd have him in exactly the same bracket as Watson and Ballantyne - a decent enough full-back for this level. Like you say if Watson and Ballantyne are still here then there's no point signing him as I don't think he's any better than them.

Yeah, I know you weren’t as big on McCann as most but I was very surprised MacDonald got an upwards move before him. I suppose it was a good deal for us though given we ended up getting Kyle Turner out of it.

I agree though, if we needed a right back then we could do a lot worse but I suspect we’ll have more pressing issues this summer whatever league we’re in.

MacDonald was an excellent crosser with us so was a decent option going forward but his defensive positioning was not great at all. I was surprised when he got the move to Dunfermline because of our nailed on starters at the time he seemed like one of the weaker ones. Watson’s been the superior right back (and is also a good crosser) for us and obviously Ballantyne is there as well so I can’t see MacDonald being signed back unless Ballantyne at left back is seen as a long-term solution (I’d expect we’ll be in the market for a left back though, rather than a right back).

Edit: on the subject of left backs, I’d imagine Brody Paterson (as one of Hartley’s failed Hartlepool signings) will be looking for a new club this summer.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

Quite the contrast in response to conceding a penalty, when 2-0 up and in control, against Edinburgh from Jay Riley’s from young Corrie Fellows. The former completely falls apart and more-or-less throws us the game. Whereas Fellows goes straight up the park, from left-back, beats his man and slots it past the keeper. Shows a lot of maturity and confidence in the young man which is nice to see. Can’t read anything into a one-off end of season game but hopefully a sign of good things to come from the academy. Bit annoying though that we probably could have just played Fellows instead of that dumplin’ Riley in that game and we’d have probably won 😂 but nice to finally beat Edinburgh. 

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Edit: on the subject of left backs, I’d imagine Brody Paterson (as one of Hartley’s failed Hartlepool signings) will be looking for a new club this summer.

Brody has had a nightmare, in and out the Hartlepool side, goes to Cove and gets a season ending injury after a couple of games. Still has another year to run at Hartlepool in the conference so I doubt he'll have many suitors.

I think O'Hara would be a pretty decent signing for us, especially if we are still in league 1. I think Callum Smith will be away next season and he would be a pretty ideal replacement. Also think it would be a good move for the player as well, I can't imagine too many Championship teams will be in for him either. With our style of play I think O'Hara would definitely score a good few goals. I know that LJ turned down a contract with St Mirren but I couldn't imagine us forking out for a development fee for him so would be surprised to see LJ back next season.

I think someone in the Championship will be in for Toderov, a team like a Morton or a Raith Rovers perhaps. I wouldn't be overly excited to see Kyle MacDonald back with ourselves next season either, especially with having Watson and Ballantyne.

Edited by David Fernández

22 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I know that LJ turned down a contract with St Mirren but I couldn't imagine us forking out for a development fee for him so would be surprised to see LJ back next season.

If LJ leaves St Mirren after his contract expires, then would his new club be liable for a development fee?