The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

38 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Most of the Twitter 'banter' or back and forth is very cringe, as is some of the opinions or praise about McCabe and the players. But they're only young boys showing a bit of passion towards their team so fair play to them. It was only 10 years ago I was the same age and praising the likes of Scott Morton and Graeme Owens on social media (as Facebook memories is loathe to remind me!) so I suppose we all do the same thing at that age. The U18s getting an ultras group going along to watch them is class btw. 

I'm not optimistic at all about the upcoming play-offs but neither I am overly pessimistic. I've played every scenario for every potential game in my head and they all seem as likely the other. Could we romp through against Falkirk/Team 9th in the semi-final and do the same v Falkirk/Team 9/Alloa in the final? Absolutely. Could we get humped in the first leg v Falkirk or Cove/Arbroath/Accies and effectively be out of the running by this time next week? It wouldn't surprise me. All I know is, if we win an epic semi-final with a haddy striker scoring the winner or coming to the fore, I'm not even going to bother going to the final. 

Yes, not decrying the guys as there seems to be an upturn in the young support which is a definite plus and a sign of good parenting!

It's nice to have a genuine discussion with like minded Airdrie fans and also discussions with fans of other teams as well. I've found the majority of Airdrie posters on here pretty reasonable in comparision to the Facebook group. I don't have twitter but I can imagine some views on there will be pretty wild too.

On the Facebook Group about the game on Saturday one guy sounded as if he needed therapy after the defeat to QOS on and was raging that we rested players then yesterday another guy put up a photo saying 'don't you know pump it up Airdrie's going up' there's no in between. It's either delusion or a graveyard of misery.

12 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

It's nice to have a genuine discussion with like minded Airdrie fans and also discussions with fans of other teams as well. I've found the majority of Airdrie posters on here pretty reasonable in comparision to the Facebook group. I don't have twitter but I can imagine some views on there will be pretty wild too.

On the Facebook Group about the game on Saturday one guy sounded as if he needed therapy after the defeat to QOS on and was raging that we rested players then yesterday another guy put up a photo saying 'don't you know pump it up Airdrie's going up' there's no in between. It's either delusion or a graveyard of misery.

Is that the guy that does the constant memes? A main factor on which why I couldn't hack that group anymore lol

46 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Completely agree. I remember the main stand being jam packed with 3000 fans, but have never seen a stand empty so quickly at the end of a game. As I walked outside into the car park and along Craigneuk Avenue the anger, disappointment and frustration was unusually evidenced by an unnatural, almost stunned and eerie hushed silence - no shouts, rants or even heated debates...it was almost surreal. I have never seen that before and I was sick to the stomach.   

We never really turned up on the Thursday night at Firhill yet there was very much a mindset of "we'll finish the job off at home on Sunday" - not boasting but confident we would be alright in the return leg. After our goal we looked on our way but their equaliser and winner, coupled with Murray's bizarre tactics (a good enough manager for us but ultimately failed to get us promoted) finished us. 

Based on our record I am not confident at all going into the play offs but agree with others on here the players are capable of doing it and we've as good a chance as anyone else in the mix.  

It was bizarre wasn’t it? I’m not criticising anyone who went, I know I had people with me who don’t attend regularly, but it did feel like the usual core support was really diluted and spread out that day. The silence was bizarre though, it was genuinely like being in a library. The Montrose game the week before had a big crowd, though that was helped by everyone being already being emotional and annoyed at how bad we were until Callum Smith turned the game around. Like you say, I’ve never experienced an atmosphere like that play-off final.

I don’t want to look back at the thread but I’m pretty sure at the time most of our more level headed supporters were cautiously optimistic ahead of that second leg, though wary that Queen’s Park were a tricky team. There were certainly some though who seemed expectant that we’d romp to victory on a better pitch than Firhill. Those posts, much like the ones bamming up Falkirk at this stage, give me the fear.

One thing that gives me more hope is that our results against the better sides have been pretty good this season. The best sides we've played have been St Mirren - who we beat, Dundee - who we drew 2-2 with until extra-time and having no squad killed us, Dunfermline - 3 draws and a defeat (after being 3-0 up) and Falkirk - 1 win, 1 defeat and 2 draws. In 10 matches against those teams there are only 2 defeats in 90 minutes and in both of those games we were leading. Conversely there are only 2 wins, but it shows that against play-off standard sides (and better in the case of St Mirren and Dundee) we are very competitive.

Last season when it mattered against better sides we couldn't cut it. Against the best side, Cove, we lost 2 and drew 2, and in the play-offs when Montrose and Queens Park were really on their game we needed a miracle to get past Montrose and then were completely contained by Queens Park, who realised that if you stopped Easton then you stopped us and that throwing on 5 strikers and hoping for the best can only work so many times.

We've finished further away from the top this season because the league is much stronger, but I've seen enough this season to feel that we'll be very competitive in the play-offs, whether we can get through them or not is impossible to say.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Congratulations Calum Gallagher! ♦️

Well deserved! Would be surprised if one of the Dunfermline boys didn't win it to be fair, nice bit of recognition for Gal regardless.  

21 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Is that the guy that does the constant memes? A main factor on which why I couldn't hack that group anymore lol

Yeah that's the same guy, it's not a personal attack on the him, he attends pretty much every game but in my own personal opinion it's a bit much.

6 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Well deserved! Would be surprised if one of the Dunfermline boys didn't win it to be fair, nice bit of recognition for Gal regardless.  

I think that’s four very worthy nominees. I wonder if the vote between Dunfermline players will be split, I reckon being up against three Cove players last year probably helped Easton stand out. I do think Gallagher is in with a chance and I’d be delighted for him it he wins it.

52 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Yeah that's the same guy, it's not a personal attack on the him, he attends pretty much every game but in my own personal opinion it's a bit much.

There are a few where everything is either sugar or sh#te,  as long as they don't get mixed up with what to put on the morning cereal, I supposed all is good,  did does get a little cringeworthy though..

Like many others I’ve been to every play off game since the Hibs one in 1997 and consequently find it very difficult to have the confidence that we’ll win through this time either??

One thing in our favour is that the team has shown recently that when required we can come back from being a goal down against better sides (recent Dunfermline and Falkirk games).  I’m not sure we had that quality within the squad last year (Montrose game excepted) but these games show we do have some resilience if we go behind.

Whether it’s Falkirk or Championship P9 I feel we need to try and take a lead to the away leg as these will be very tough games. The squad seem very ‘together’ and have bought into the manager’s footballing philosophy which can only be a positive to take into such important games.

Scoring first will be a major factor and if we can manage to do that confidence levels should rise. Lose one and the resilience we’ve seen recently will need to come to the fore.

Whoever we play it will be a battle royal  as these inevitably are nervous games for players and spectators alike. By the law of averages and the fact we have one of our best sides (IMO better than last years) in recent memory I’m hopeful that we can give it a real shot this time.

The fans also have a major role to play in both legs but especially the home one. Give them your support and hopefully we’ll all be rewarded.

Do it for Rhys, the fans as well as yourselves guys cos if you do you’ll go down as the side that led the Diamonds to the ‘promised land’ after God knows how long in the ‘wilderness’

Come on the ♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

5 hours ago, David Fernández said:

This could be on the Falkirk thread.

22 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I love the photoshops on the Airdrie Facebook group to be honest, they are absolutely hilarious.

With the outcome of the Championship decided on Friday it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had we been down to play Alloa, a repeat of the Barbados v Grenada game (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4–2_Grenada) ? 🙂

I've enjoyed this and last season more than any certainly in the last 15 years albeit the play-off final loss was particularly gut wrenching even though I should be used to it by now. As someone else mentioned we've had good results against the likes of St Mirren and Dundee so no reason to think we can't compete against the championship team and hopefully the disappointment and experience the players have from the play-offs last year proves beneficial.

On 03/05/2023 at 13:58, AJ77 said:

Be careful what you wish for, 🤣 I've held back from on here as I actually enjoy the chat in our forum.  I know my memes are marmite but I'll not change what is only a bit of fun. Just block or unfollow me though and you'll not see them,  I'll agree that some folk get way to excitable or indeed doom and gloom it's about finding that balance.

Huge few weeks ahead and hopefully we turn up and get the job done. 

👍♦️

Edited by DiamondT