The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I'm sure we'll be seeing many goal celebrations like this from the Prince when he's tearing it up in the first team in years to come.

Screenshot_20230429_092705_Facebook.jpg

Get him on the penalties next season after tucking one away smoothly last night! 

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

It ceased to become comical the fourth time he stood away from the ball instead of going for a 50/50. 

For all Telfer got an assist I thought he was very poor, again, today. Wouldn’t have him near the XI in the play-offs to be honest.

That was pretty rubbish today but not bothered really. Have to agree with your assessment. Thought Euan Deveney was the worst player on the park. In no man’s land for the first goal which was scored right at his back post, some poor mistakes and decision making on and off the ball and that’s probably generous calling some of those balls he never went for 50/50s. He’s improved over the course of the season, and I think he’s suffered from dropping out the team, but Ballantyne is by far the better player and based on today, and his brief cameo v Falkirk, I’d be pretty worried if we had to call upon him in the play-offs. 

I like Telfer but didn’t think he offered much today other than the cross for the goal. Which was a lovely cross admittedly. Too many players ghosting past him and McCabe obviously agreed as he was having a right go at him a couple of times. Although I think we have a bit of pot calling the kettle black there. We’ve struggled against Todd and Wilson this season and they’re both exactly the sort of midfielder we need. 

Don’t think any of the non-regulars staked a claim today but Salim did take his goal well and won his fair share in the air when he came on. He’ll never start a game in this team but if he can contribute off the bench in the play-offs and, hopefully, continue his habit of scoring late goals, that’d be absolutely fine. Big Byrd was probably the pick of the bunch in terms of the non-regulars. Not amazing by any means, but he did okay, nothing daft and won his headers. He has quite a nice pass on him but he’s still a bit hesitant and raw at times. Hard to read too much into that game though and I still wouldn’t want him appearing in the play-offs. 

Poor Joe Dixon still not getting on 😂 

Nice to see Andy Smith and congratulations to Gal and Gabby. Well deserved winners ♦️

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Funny how you see games differently I thought Telfer was our most effective midfielder by far,   he does get over criticised it seems compared to others,  is that a fair assessment..

He was rotten. Too often tried to be overly clever with the ball when there was an easier option. More than happy for him to resume his role on the bench and not to darken our doorstep again after the summer.

Also noted today how much more progressive McMaster is over McCabe. McCabe would take the ball off Fordyce/Byrd, move forward a few passes shaping up for a Hollywood pass, decide it’s not on then go backwards again. McMaster receives possession and more often than not finds a simple pass with another midfielder to move the team forward.

Fair enough McMaster also made a few mistakes in the second half but he is a big proponent of the success a midfield three of McMaster, Devenny and Frizzell has been over the last month or two.

37 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

He was rotten. Too often tried to be overly clever with the ball when there was an easier option. More than happy for him to resume his role on the bench and not to darken our doorstep again after the summer.

How would you rate Stanway and McCabes performance in the same midfield

23 hours ago, Airdrie101 said:

Diamond from a far here.  I see we stepped up the youth set up and I keep seeing updates of them winning the league, or a big win, anyone know if these boys could make it big, or if it has been a success so far.  

The lads have been great won the Under 18s title at a canter,   what happens to these lads next though, when they hit the age level,  do Mptherwell St Mirre n , Livi etc Hoover up our best boys,    in my opinion the lads at 17 \18 need to play next level up, preferably at Airdrie, but we don't have a level above, apart from First Team,  which arguably the lads are know here near that level yet...    So what happens next in the Academy, heard rumours about an under 16s team being created,  that seems to a very crowded market team boys club wise.

Does anybody have any opinions or further information about the Academy moving forward,  if this flourishes we could unearth a few gems in time...

51 minutes ago, Passionate said:

How would you rate Stanway and McCabes performance in the same midfield

Didn't think McCabe had one of his better games today, an accusation which could be levelled at the majority of the starting 11. Stanway was quiet in the first half however with the half time change of McMaster for McCabe he seemed to have more forward drive in the second which suited him a lot more.

Agreed with the decision to rest a few key players, but I have to wonder how the "challengers" for a starting slot were so far adrift for so much of the first half.

Queen of the South were in complete control of the entire game for the spell before the opener- a fine cross indeed- but the defending at the corner was shocking.

Clearly the idea of playing Devenney again wide right, did not work against a better side and he needs to be in central midfield if we want some more strength. Telfer had one good pass and certainly put in effort but like many of the others , was often caught in possession. 

A poor day for many and yet when we got back into the game , I thought we'd equalise as Queens sat back. 

It was a nice free kick from Paton but our attempts before it to recover the ball , were nonsense.

Yes it didn't matter in many ways but we need the strongest team on the park in the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

It ceased to become comical the fourth time he stood away from the ball instead of going for a 50/50. 

For all Telfer got an assist I thought he was very poor, again, today. Wouldn’t have him near the XI in the play-offs to be honest.

I find it funny now just because i don't really care about these last games before the play offs and would honestly rather finish 4th. I said to my mate i swear he has been nutmegged by his winger every game he's played this season, i think seeing his 1v1 success rate would be a good laugh.

I think telfer would be a decent option to bring off the bench if we're trying to see out a lead and need a bit of calmness on the ball. But yeah wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11. 

10 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Didn't think McCabe had one of his better games today, an accusation which could be levelled at the majority of the starting 11. Stanway was quiet in the first half however with the half time change of McMaster for McCabe he seemed to have more forward drive in the second which suited him a lot more.

One thing that yesterday confirmed was how important Frizz is. He is the creative force in the midfield and we'll need him at his best if we are to progress. Our starting 11 for the 1st play off game could be interesting although 8 are certain starters.

It's McCabe or ATS partnering Fordyce at the back.

Frizz and perm 2 from McMaster, Stanway, Devenny, Telfer or McCabe if ATS plays at the back in midfield. I like Stanway although he wasn't great yesterday and always think Devenny has more to offer but it will depend on how Rhys see's it.

11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Agreed with the decision to rest a few key players, but I have to wonder how the "challengers" for a starting slot were so far adrift for so much of the first half.

Queen of the South were in complete control of the entire game for the spell before the opener- a fine cross indeed- but the defending at the corner was shocking.

Clearly the idea of playing Devenney again wide right, did not work against a better side and he needs to be in central midfield if we want some more strength. Telfer had one good pass and certainly put in effort but like many of the others , was often caught in possession. 

A poor day for many and yet when we got back into the game , I thought we'd equalise as Queens sat back. 

It was a nice free kick from Paton but our attempts before it to recover the ball , were nonsense.

Yes it didn't matter in many ways but we need the strongest team on the park in the playoffs.

Between the 2 teams yesterday we could maybe get a team that could compete in the championship ,

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

One thing that yesterday confirmed was how important Frizz is. He is the creative force in the midfield and we'll need him at his best if we are to progress. Our starting 11 for the 1st play off game could be interesting although 8 are certain starters.

It's McCabe or ATS partnering Fordyce at the back.

Frizz and perm 2 from McMaster, Stanway, Devenny, Telfer or McCabe if ATS plays at the back in midfield. I like Stanway although he wasn't great yesterday and always think Devenny has more to offer but it will depend on how Rhys see's it.

Has to be ATS at the back for me, assuming he’s fit. He’s been our best defender this season IMO which I never thought I’d say when we signed him! Does anyone know how he’s doing? He didn’t look too clever last week even just walking from the tunnel to the dugout but hopefully the 2-3 weeks off before the play-offs is enough to get him back. He’d be a huge loss if he misses out. 

Think a midfield of McMaster, Frizzell and Devenny is our best in terms of shape, balance and offering a bit of everything. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Has to be ATS at the back for me, assuming he’s fit. He’s been our best defender this season IMO which I never thought I’d say when we signed him! Does anyone know how he’s doing? He didn’t look too clever last week even just walking from the tunnel to the dugout but hopefully the 2-3 weeks off before the play-offs is enough to get him back. He’d be a huge loss if he misses out. 

Think a midfield of McMaster, Frizzell and Devenny is our best in terms of shape, balance and offering a bit of everything. 

Rhys is definitely in our best 11 and has to play for me. Yes, not the quickest, but can play the killer pass, best passer and our best threat from set plays. A pressure penalty & great free kick in last years play off final, albeit it wasn't enough, but his experience and ability is vital in these games.

Tottenham’s antics at Anfield today reminded me of the time Airdrie equalised in the 93rd minute to make it 3-3 up at Brechin only for Alan Trouten to score a winner a minute later. The team that night had a midfield three of Nathan Blockley, David Sinclair and Liam Watt, with a front three of Liam Coogans, Lewis Coult and Keigan Parker :lol: 

We might still be stuck in the same league, but we at least have a lot more quality these days.

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Tottenham’s antics at Anfield today reminded me of the time Airdrie equalised in the 93rd minute to make it 3-3 up at Brechin only for Alan Trouten to score a winner a minute later. The team that night had a midfield three of Nathan Blockley, David Sinclair and Liam Watt, with a front three of Liam Coogans, Lewis Coult and Keigan Parker :lol: 

We might still be stuck in the same league, but we at least have a lot more quality these days.

Liam Coogans, oh ya fucker. Pretty sure there was someone on here that thought he was the second coming on R9. 

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Tottenham's antics are something we'd 100% do in the play off final 🫣