The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Watching Celtic destroying Kilmarnock is tough and makes me wonder about the standard of League 1 currently. Kerr McInroy who I thought was a level above us and excelled with Ayr in the championship can't get a sniff of action.

Perhaps its just that Celtic are levels above everyone including their big rivals.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

Watching Celtic destroying Kilmarnock is tough and makes me wonder about the standard of League 1 currently. Kerr McInroy who I thought was a level above us and excelled with Ayr in the championship can't get a sniff of action.

Perhaps its just that Celtic are levels above everyone including their big rivals.

Just posted and Killie instantly score!

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Championship maybe his level, 

I think @Mr November and @ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds have nailed the clear winners in each category, but honourable mentions to Frizz for player of the year, a guy who looks a level or two above when at his best and adds a real doggedness to his clear ability. Earlier this season I'd have been giving my vote to Euan D for young player, but Gabby has pipped him for me given the last month or so. Still feel Euan has come on greatly this season. You'd not think Josh was as young as he is, either, given he plays like a very experienced goalie. A great what if this year, if he'd been fit for a entire season. 

Some really good goals didn't even make the final 10, and it feels almost blasphemous not to go with either of the team goals, but that Gal goal versus Kelty is just silly. 20 league goals for the season and hopefully he's far from finished. Whip round for a new contract, anyone?

22 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I think @Mr November and @ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds have nailed the clear winners in each category, but honourable mentions to Frizz for player of the year, a guy who looks a level or two above when at his best and adds a real doggedness to his clear ability. Earlier this season I'd have been giving my vote to Euan D for young player, but Gabby has pipped him for me given the last month or so. Still feel Euan has come on greatly this season. You'd not think Josh was as young as he is, either, given he plays like a very experienced goalie. A great what if this year, if he'd been fit for a entire season. 

Some really good goals didn't even make the final 10, and it feels almost blasphemous not to go with either of the team goals, but that Gal goal versus Kelty is just silly. 20 league goals for the season and hopefully he's far from finished. Whip round for a new contract, anyone?

Definitely, there was that spell where Frizz was out as well as the goalie issues and that was our worst run of form. All clubs will have the same stories however, it's just part of the game and when you carry squads as small as we do it's a risk you take.

Rae being injured was the real unlucky one, it's pretty rare for goalies to have serious injuries and very few clubs at this level can afford 2 geniune first choice goalies. There's obviously been defensive issues, a lot of them through our own making, but when you're on your 5th goalie of the season by October it's always going to be hard to have the defensive stability that you need to win a title.

I think one benefit to come from it was McCabe dropping the obsessive passing out from the back that we saw in the first few games. We do still try and pass it from the back but not to the same extent and we don't take the stupid risks that we were taking. James McPake commented on it a few weeks back saying we were a better side now because we'd learned to mix it up a bit more. I think when Lyness came in McCabe realised it was suicidal to continue that way and it forced his hand a bit and we've become a better side for it.

Frizz looked jaded in the play offs last season after having a great season. He struggled to find his form after his injury this season but now seems back to his best and hopefully a lot fresher than most for the remainder of this as he is a massive player for us.

3 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Frizz looked jaded in the play offs last season after having a great season. He struggled to find his form after his injury this season but now seems back to his best and hopefully a lot fresher than most for the remainder of this as he is a massive player for us.

Yeah he started this season well, then got injured and then I thought he was pretty poor after that in all honesty. The game at Palmerston in March was the worst I've ever seen him play, his mis-control to give Queens a goal was typical of everything he did that day. However, since then he has really come on to a game so hopefully it continues for the rest of the season.

On 09/04/2023 at 10:46, Diamond1924 said:

Can anyone put their finger on Smiths poor form? Really concerning 

I think the Smith being off the boil chat is a bit over-stated. He's not having the electric form to finish the season that he had last season (yet). But last season he ended the regular season on 13 goals before his hat-trick in the play-off semis. He's on 11 goals already which must be more or at the very least the same as this stage last season. He's just spread his goals out more over the campaign which is probably better? His habit of taking an extra touch or running inside rather than shooting infuriates me. But his work-rate on and off the ball, his ball carrying and running at defenders and linkup play is invaluable. How many of our goals start with or at least involve Smith in some way? Probably the majority of them. Our penalty on Saturday comes from his run. This team without Smith would be demonstrably worse. 

On 15/04/2023 at 19:07, Kenny_m said:

According to the knob end on the stream, Falkirk completely dominated the game apart from a 10 minute a spell and Gal's equaliser had quote "nothing to do with ability". 

I actually accept bias on streams but this guy had my ears bleeding!

Lewis 😂 Gal's finish on Saturday was the work of a true quality striker. Perfect awareness, movement and touch in the box to finish it. Everything to do with ability. 

19 hours ago, Mr November said:

I see that’s the end of year awards voting up. I’ve went for Gallagher POTY, McGill YPOTY and Gallagher v Kelty for the goal. I suspect those will be the winners too.

19 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’ve went for Gal POTY, Gabby YPOTY and Gal’s goal vs Kelty for Goal of the Season. I think those three selections will win easily.

Went for Gal x2 and Devenny for YpotY as I like to use that vote for a player who's made their breakthrough/not played before the current season. But Gabby will win it and deservedly so. 

9 hours ago, AndyDD said:

I think Gal is tied into a deal already for next season.