The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, airdrieman said:

But he would be a loss from the dugout and I'm not sure that can be overlooked in our recent results and performances.

Think this has got more to do with the opposition we've faced rather than Rhys in the dugout.

And the players on the park.

Edited by Kenny_m

Would be taking a look at Charlie Reilly from the Rovers to replace Smith if he (as expected) departs at the end of the season.

Of course contract expiry dates aren’t well publicised in these leagues but Transfermarkt suggests he’s available upon conclusion of this term. 20 goals and 9 assists in 27 games so far. Wonder how many in higher leagues will be keeping tabs on him too.

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Would be taking a look at Charlie Reilly from the Rovers to replace Smith if he (as expected) departs at the end of the season.

Of course contract expiry dates aren’t well publicised in these leagues but Transfermarkt suggests he’s available upon conclusion of this term. 20 goals and 9 assists in 27 games so far. Wonder how many in higher leagues will be keeping tabs on him too.

I think he’s been linked with Dundee and trained with Premiership clubs, so suspect he’s out of our reach unfortunately. He was very young when he was here before but fair play to him, I certainly didn’t see this coming. 

On the subject of League Two players, Matty Yates at Stenhousemuir is someone I’d be keen to see us go for. I think he has double figures for goals and assists and looks very handy in the highlights I’ve seen. Can play through the middle, out wide or attacking midfield and I think he’d suit our style of play.

45 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think he’s been linked with Dundee and trained with Premiership clubs, so suspect he’s out of our reach unfortunately. He was very young when he was here before but fair play to him, I certainly didn’t see this coming. 

On the subject of League Two players, Matty Yates at Stenhousemuir is someone I’d be keen to see us go for. I think he has double figures for goals and assists and looks very handy in the highlights I’ve seen. Can play through the middle, out wide or attacking midfield and I think he’d suit our style of play.

It's difficult at the moment to identify players for next season not knowing what league you are going to be in.

Well I've not given up yet!

RE defensive line-up for Friday - Saturday was a great opportunity to change it to whatever set-up he had planned for Clyde.  IE, straight swap ATS for Byrd or fire Euan on & shuffle Cammy & Janny.  

Apparently Cammy took a knock during the game which would explain his substitution but given our ever-changing back 4 it would've been nice to have some sort of continuity from Saturday to Friday.  

It'll be either Cammy Janny Dycey Euan or Janny Byrd Dycey Cammy. I can't see Rhys choosing himself over a newly signed CB or a young LB who seems to get dropped very quickly after a poor game despite him being probably our most improved player & an excellent attacking threat.  

Byrd is apparently impressing in training [hence his inclusion at QotS] and while it wasn't the best of debuts for the big man, the whole team was rank that day.  

Would be good to see Euan & Cammy as Wingbacks with either 3 CBs or 2 plus Rhys.  

Rae

Janny/Rhys Dycey ATS

Cammy                                     Euan

McMaster/Stanway

Gabby/Justin    Frizz/Telfer    Smith/McGregor

Gal/Sal

This would help protect against either of them being exploited defensively not to mention shoring things up against the better teams when needed.  

The last 2 weeks were also great opportunities to stick 2 up top, and give Smithy the chance to play off Gal and see if that helps him find his scoring boots & confidence again.  Yes, he has 9 goals but he's had enough clearcut chances to have at least double that.  His work-rate is ridiculous, but can you imagine if he was putting away the chances he's had where we'd be?!

Hopefully, the last two results [albeit against very poor opponents] show the gaffer how well we can play without him in the team & that it's far more important for him to be in the dugout.  

Mon the Diamonds! ♦️

28 minutes ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

RE defensive line-up for Friday - Saturday was a great opportunity to change it to whatever set-up he had planned for Clyde.  IE, straight swap ATS for Byrd or fire Euan on & shuffle Cammy & Janny.  

Apparently Cammy took a knock during the game which would explain his substitution but given our ever-changing back 4 it would've been nice to have some sort of continuity from Saturday to Friday.  

It'll be either Cammy Janny Dycey Euan or Janny Byrd Dycey Cammy. I can't see Rhys choosing himself over a newly signed CB or a young LB who seems to get dropped very quickly after a poor game despite him being probably our most improved player & an excellent attacking threat.  

Byrd is apparently impressing in training [hence his inclusion at QotS] and while it wasn't the best of debuts for the big man, the whole team was rank that day.  

Would be good to see Euan & Cammy as Wingbacks with either 3 CBs or 2 plus Rhys.  

Rae

Janny/Rhys Dycey ATS

McMaster/Stanway

Gal/Sal

This would help protect against either of them being exploited defensively not to mention shoring things up against the better teams when needed.  

The last 2 weeks were also great opportunities to stick 2 up top, and give Smithy the chance to play off Gal and see if that helps him find his scoring boots & confidence again.  Yes, he has 9 goals but he's had enough clearcut chances to have at least double that.  His work-rate is ridiculous, but can you imagine if he was putting away the chances he's had where we'd be?!

Hopefully, the last two results [albeit against very poor opponents] show the gaffer how well we can play without him in the team & that it's far more important for him to be in the dugout.  

Mon the Diamonds! ♦️

If Smith was a goal scorer he would not have been back at Airdrie ,

52 minutes ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

Rae

Janny/Rhys Dycey ATS

McMaster/Stanway

Gal/Sal

Think the whole point is ATS not available 😂

Getting to the business end, where did the time go,  2 wonderful victories, goals,,  hat trick heroes against a collaboration of golf bags,  Kelt y Hearts and indeed Peterhead are better than what they showed, we were ruthless,

Hopefully Friday at Clyde continues the run,  away games are sometimes a struggle due to set up,  sitting too deep, giving our midfield too much pitch to cover therefore getting overrun (see recent queens game)..  We have little or no margin for error if we want the playoffs,      This begs the question  is McMaster and Devenney better down the line than McCabe and Telfer,  ,,  Rhys is no doubt pondering  the same questions....

onto the selection at Clyde , the born again ATS who was slated all season is now the answer (to be fair he never let us down even when he was being ridiculed),  ATS is away this week,  minimal changes for me McCabe to partner Fordyce at the back ,  helpfully Ballantyne can shake off his groin,   although improved offensively Deveney cannot do his ultimate job, defend and that position should have been strengthened in the extended wi ndow...

And I will be blunt,  if we have any ambition of getting to the playoffs and going deep if we get there,   Byrd should be know here near an Airdrie side,  he is unplayable IMO,  ,  no doubt people will say what's the point in him being there and I would agree wholeheartedly...

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

And I will be blunt,  if we have any ambition of getting to the playoffs and going deep if we get there,   Byrd should be know here near an Airdrie side,  he is unplayable IMO,  ,  no doubt people will say what's the point in him being there and I would agree wholeheartedly...

Whilst you may ultimately be correct and I also have doubts over Byrd, we can't go writing young players off after 1 game.

Does anyone else agree that we must be doing something right on the training ground. I look at the performances of some players at the start of the season and compare them with current performances and the improvement is dramatic.

Devenney was erratic to say the least and seemed to lack confidence, he is vastly improved defensively and terrific going forward.

Telfer I thought was lazy and sluggish, but now his work rate is a lot better.

ATS looked awkward on the ball and pretty immobile, now he looks assured in defence, and has made two brilliant contribution that led to goals in the last two games.

Gal was always a good goalscorer, but added little else, now he is linking up a lot better with colleague and is showing a lot more confidence on the ball, I doubt that Gal in early season would have scored that wonder goal against Kelty.

Even Justin Devenny looks a lot more comfortable on the ball in his recent appearances.

If we can continue to bring on good players and make them better, then the future is bright.

5 minutes ago, Sage Monkey said:

Does anyone else agree that we must be doing something right on the training ground. I look at the performances of some players at the start of the season and compare them with current performances and the improvement is dramatic.

Devenney was erratic to say the least and seemed to lack confidence, he is vastly improved defensively and terrific going forward.

ATS looked awkward on the ball and pretty immobile, now he looks assured in defence, and has made two brilliant contribution that led to goals in the last two games.

Gal was always a good goalscorer, but added little else, now he is linking up a lot better with colleague and is showing a lot more confidence on the ball, I doubt that Gal in early season would have scored that wonder goal against Kelty.

Even Justin Devenny looks a lot more comfortable on the ball in his recent appearances.

If we can continue to bring on good players and make them better, then the future is bright.

Yeah I mentioned this a few weeks ago too. For all of McCabe’s faults during games, we do have plenty of players who have improved this season. Gabby McGill is another. He was a useful player last season and did well but I always felt he lacked quality at times. He’s looked a lot better over the last few months and his overall game has really improved.

2 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

Yeh, probably something our management don't get a lot of credit for.

I see their roles as 50% on recruitment, 40% on coaching and 10% on match days as you very limited on what you can do when players cross the white line as the work has been done prior to. 

They're learning on the job and I'm sure they'll admit mistakes have been made but well worth sticking with, even if Clyde beat us on Saturday! 

Friday even!

Edited by Kenny_m

18 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh, probably something our management don't get a lot of credit for.

I see their roles as 50% on recruitment, 40% on coaching and 10% on match days as you very limited on what you can do when players cross the white line as the work has been done prior to. 

They're learning on the job and I'm sure they'll admit mistakes have been made but well worth sticking with, even if Clyde beat us on Saturday! 

Not much confidence in team with last remark hope the team have more confidence.

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Not much confidence in team with last remark hope the team have more confidence.

You've misunderstood completely. 

What I'm saying is that as a "management duo" they have minimal impact during games.

As "players" of course then that is different matter.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

You've misunderstood completely. 

What I'm saying is that as a "management duo" they have minimal impact during games.

As "players" of course then that is different matter.

I think JR was referring to your comment about Clyde beating us on Saturday.

On which note, I will bet you £10million that Clyde won't beat us on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

For me it has been two extremes.

In possession we are as good as I've seen an Airdrie team in years, probably have to go back to the 03-04 season to find a side that played better football and had as many high scoring wins. We play much better football than last year's side who were very reliant on magic from Easton and scored lots of goals through 'Murrayball', there wasn't really much order to it, it was fun to watch but was chaos most of the time. McCabe clearly works on patterns of play and the team are comfortable in possession and have scored some great team goals. We've also stopped the excessive passing that we were doing early on in the season which is encouraging, we still pass it about but also aren't afraid to go direct at times.

The flip side is that out of possession we are really poor. We are far too easy to play against when we don't have the ball. You can't expect to control games through possession the whole time (with the odd exception against dross like Peterhead) so there needs to be much more solidity and the ability to hold a shape higher up the park without dropping deep. I think this part has been the reality check for McCabe this season and where we have been lacking. The ability to not crumble under pressure where we should have cruised to wins (Dunfermline at home, Edinburgh at home in the 5-3 game etc) will define our season unfortunately.

Is all the work in training in possession at the expense of defensive work? Or are the management just not really able to fix it? It's been raised so many times about having an experienced coach to work with McCabe but I think this is really where it would have helped. McCabe's ability to get the team playing great football mixed with some old school pragmaticism of someone who is used to these leagues would be a great mix I think.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever