The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

5 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I'm certainly the age to have experienced the Shish in both venues. There was also the Kohinoor, (Rasul family?) which had to shut when the building collapsed and the Shalimar of Mr Ali . Great street and the claim to have created Chicken Tikka Masala, although it's not my favourite. 

You're making me nostalgic and hungry.

Remember the days when Gibson Street was called Curry Alley. 

Glasgow has lost a few Indian restaurants in recent years including The Rawalpindi (a Tam Cowan favourite) on Sauchiehall Street and The Kohi Noor on North Street at Charing Cross. 😔

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Remember the days when Gibson Street was called Curry Alley. 

Glasgow has lost a few Indian restaurants in recent years including The Rawalpindi (a Tam Cowan favourite) on Sauchiehall Street and The Kohi Noor on North Street at Charing Cross. 😔

It's been a while since I was in Glasgow curry places but these are ones I also remember. There was a Taj Mahal near the Doublet pub which was really good as well, and the Shenaz beside the Mitchell theatre. There was a good one in Airdrie after the Reo Stakis days, and the Minhaj as well for a time. What a culinary delight. 

14 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Feels like this season has finally been the time when the entire support appreciate what Gallagher brings. There's been a core of us on here who have been saying for a while what an important player he is to have at this level, but there's always been a few doubters and even at the start of this season I remember some fans on here saying we needed a better striker to get promoted. It's certainly not that area of the pitch that has cost us.

He's already reached the guaranteed 15 goals a season and joint top scorer, plus has numerous assists. And as I always say he (for some reason) doesn't take penalties, if he did you could add another 3 or 4 goals a season to his tallies (even with an average conversion rate).

It's also weird how 90% of his goals are the most goalpoacher type goals you can imagine from around the 6 yard line, yet he's scored incredible goals for us. Yesterday obviously, the overhead kick against Clyde a few years back. Even goals like his flick last week and chip against Falkirk are quality. Regardless of what league we're in he'd be the first name I'd be trying to keep.

Couldn't agree more with every word.

Who would have predicted an ATS shot not held by keeper for first goal, an ATS header not held by keeper for second goal, a long ball out from ATS set up fourth goal and a left footed pass from a "right footed" left back for the fifth.

But for a silly penalty that would have been a clean sheet. That back four should play till the end of the season. Gives us more height in the box and stops the crosses from the left.

Edited by Diamonds on the Windshield

22 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Our next 2 games are against Peterhead and Clyde but so are Alloa's but I would be surprised if we both take 6 points. They'll be slip ups on the run in for all but our results against Alloa & Edinburgh will ultimately decide as they would definitely be must not lose games if not must win.

History shows that 58 points would normally be more than enough.

I think Edinburgh are playing Dunfermline this weekend so that presents a good opportunity for us to overtake them. Still very much in team #anyonebutEdinburgh RE who we play in the play-offs so them dropping out now and at the end of the season is the ideal scenario. 

31 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Who would have predicted an ATS shot not held by keeper for first goal, an ATS header not held by keeper for second goal, a long ball out from ATS set up fourth goal and a left footed pass from a "right footed" left back for the fifth.

But for a silly penalty that would have been a clean sheet. That back four should play till the end of the season. Gives us more height in the box and stops the crosses from the left.

Not forgetting his barnstorming run to set up the first! Reminiscent of the ATS of 10 years ago. Nice to see him get a bit of recognition on Saturday. Not that it's saying much but, despite usually being the one to dropout, he's probably been our best and most consistent defender this season. 

Agreed that that should be the defence to see out the season. Can't get too carried away after only one game but it does feel like that's the best combination out of all the defenders we have, even with Ballantyne at left-back. Although, he probably is our best option there? However, them doing it under pressure or after we concede first will be the real test. 

22 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

In general it's take aways. 

Clarkston Spices if you like a good bite in the curry.

Chapelhall Spices has great Samosas and the usual great range.

As to local curry shops, I like the Shimla in Coatbridge and a new one to me, Mango in Haggs near Bonnybridge.

Been a curry consumer since eating in the Green Gates on Bank Street at Glasgow Uni. in 1966.

Really good after Cal Gals wonder.

If anyone ever is having a bad day go and read the reviews on trip advisor for Shimla Cottage. I used to go every Friday when I was at Coatbridge College and would have 3 courses for £3.50. 

It was delightful.

Looking at the fixtures I think Edinburgh are the more likely team to catch. Alloa have the best fixtures, 5 home games and 3 away, both of their games against Falkirk and Dunfermline are at home and both of them are in the last 3 games. There's a good chance the league will be done by then, certainly by the last game of the season when they play Dunfermline, so both of those are more winnable than they'd normally be.

Our fixtures look similar to Edinburgh's in terms of difficulty, plus their results against the rest of the league are much worse than Alloa's and ours, as mentioned up the thread it's their results against us that have pushed them up the league. Given our record against them it's good that we don't play them until the last game where hopefully it's too late for their inevitable victory against us to mean anything! Worst case scenario we are hopefully still within 3 points and it effectively becomes a play-off quarter final. It's hard to tell though as like us they seem a truly bizarre side, pull off some great results but then have been comfortably beaten by teams like Queens repeatedly. You could tell me that we'd lose 6-0 to them, draw 3-3, or beat them 6-0 and I'd equally believe all 3 were just as likely.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

31 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

If anyone ever is having a bad day go and read the reviews on trip advisor for Shimla Cottage. I used to go every Friday when I was at Coatbridge College and would have 3 courses for £3.50. 

It was delightful.

the owner boys a fruitcake, i remember seeing this a couple years ago 🤣

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

It was delightful.

Shimla Cottage is ridiculously good value. It’s not my favourite Indian but hard to argue with their deals, I’m sure you can get 4 curries with rice, naan, mixed pakora, spiced onions and poppadoms for not much more than £20. Used to be able to not long ago anyway.

I’ve noticed the old Clock Bar in Coatbridge has a new sign up this week, “Tawa Indian Kitchen” but haven’t found anything online about it.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

8 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Shimla Cottage is ridiculously good value. It’s not my favourite Indian but hard to argue with their deals, I’m sure you can get 4 curries with rice, naan, mixed pakora, spiced onions and poppadoms for not much more than £20. Used to be able to not long ago anyway.

I’ve noticed the old Clock Bar in Coatbridge has a new sign up this week, “Tawa Indian Kitchen” but haven’t found anything online about it.

The Crown Jewel is probably my favourite Indian, it flies under the radar a bit but when I moved down Coatbridge way I tried it out. Bit pricier but unreal.

Shimla is unreal value for money, 4 of us used to go so one would get a naan with main and other rice and we would half it so you were literally getting a full main meal.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I know we're getting a bit off topic here so my last input on the curry theme.....

I honestly can't see past the Himalyan Dine In across from the Town Hall, the old Cafe Spice.

Could keep it on topic and compare the Airdrie team to curry houses.

Gallagher is like Paprika, regularly delivers but goes un-noticed.

19 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

It's been a while since I was in Glasgow curry places…

In town I’d recommend Obsession of India down the bottom of High Street. It’s one of the top ranked on trip advisor in Glasgow and admittedly the pricing is a bit out of this world, but it is fantastic food.

3 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

In town I’d recommend Obsession of India down the bottom of High Street. It’s one of the top ranked on trip advisor in Glasgow and admittedly the pricing is a bit out of this world, but it is fantastic food.

To all non Glasgow residents, would highly recommend India Quay at the north end of the squinty bridge, beside the Radisson Red and Hydro.

And as for tonight's Scottish cup quarter final, intensely despise both teams, so hope that neither progress.

8 hours ago, KD1711 said:

It was delightful.

They still do some amazing in house deals. New owners post pandemic etc but still good. 

30 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Falkirk deserve a good meal tonight, great result for league 1

I have conflicted feelings since many of their more excitable posters will be on to crow, but I thought they deserved to win as Ayr were a really dull and boring side ,on that showing. 

Yes it's good to see a third division team get through and makes the case for the end of this ten team leagues below the Premier.

I  wish Falkirk good luck and am  glad to see the "big teams" lose out in the draw as well.

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I have conflicted feelings since many of their more excitable posters will be on to crow, but I thought they deserved to win as Ayr were a really dull and boring side ,on that showing. 

Yes it's good to see a third division team get through and makes the case for the end of this ten team leagues below the Premier.

I  wish Falkirk good luck and am  glad to see the "big teams" lose out in the draw as well.

Ayr started well ,costly pen miss, overall I think Falkirk deserved win ,strong bench certainly helps them ,