The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Certainly been a horrendous month for team and supporters,reading about all the players that can step up to championship ,did anyone see any player yesterday that could step up,players including manager need a reality check,

It's a fair point and I've always said that to progress out of this league you need to have around 5 o r 6 players who are capable of the step up. Unfortunately being one of the lowest full time payers, if not the lowest, then this is difficult to achieve.

Ditch the Gow youth experiment which is destined for failure and put all resources into the first team.

49 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Agree that the goals are horrendous but what can the manager do other than drop the players involved?

Byrd is as weak as water at the first.

Deveney doesn't even stick a leg out to stop the cross at the 2nd.

Individual error by Frizzell for the 3rd.

You can be the best coach in the world but players really need to do the basics. 

He can’t do anything about individual errors in real time. But how many similar goals have we lost all season from a free header, not stopping a cross, leaving a man unmarked in the box or switching off at set pieces? If it’s a one off fair enough yes it’s the individual player to blame. But the fact every goal we lose is so soft is fundamentally a failure of the system and of McCabe’s coaching. There’s been no improvement in how easy we are to score against across the entire season and we’re 3/4s into it now. It’s not good enough. 

17 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not sure that's 100% true. Do you really believe that McCabe went to PH and said I want to sign Joe Dixon!

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that. So you blame McCabe for Deveney not putting a tackle in and Byrd losing his man although in his case, it's inexperience and naivety.

Who is responsible for the signings if not McCabe? Either way, Dixon is clearly a nonsense signing and a waste of everyones time if he’s not even going to come on in a game like yesterday’s. 

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Not sure that's 100% true. Do you really believe that McCabe went to PH and said I want to sign Joe Dixon!

Genuine question but who is signing those players then? I’m sure Joe Dixon is one of the many signings with links to Jackie McNamara, so I assume most of them come through McCabe in some way.

9 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that. So you blame McCabe for Deveney not putting a tackle in and Byrd losing his man although in his case, it's inexperience and naivety.

Rhys McCabe is an associate for a company called 'Consilium Sports Group' which Jackie McNamara is one of the Directors of, and also Shelly Kerr has a role in the company. It is no coincidence that a lot of our players that we have signed have 'Consilium Sports' as their agent (Alex Henderson, Jay Reily, Ben Stanway, Justin Devenny) to name a few, so I'd imagine he'd be recommended players, but those players are his signings and I'd imagine he'd be involved in those discussions.

If McCabe isn't signing the likes of Joe Dixon, then who is signing them? We don't have Stuart Miller or a Director of Football anymore.

Obviously the players should take responsibility for the poor defending but the defensive issues are getting worse instead of better. I guess we can agree to disagree on a lot of issues.

5 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Rhys McCabe is an associate for a company called 'Consilium Sports Group' which Jackie McNamara is one of the Directors of, and also Shelly Kerr has a role in the company.

Don't think that's correct, I believe they're his agent and Shelly Kerr's.

9 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Rhys McCabe is an associate for a company called 'Consilium Sports Group' which Jackie McNamara is one of the Directors of, and also Shelly Kerr has a role in the company. It is no coincidence that a lot of our players that we have signed have 'Consilium Sports' as their agent (Alex Henderson, Jay Reily, Ben Stanway, Justin Devenny) to name a few, so I'd imagine he'd be recommended players, but those players are his signings and I'd imagine he'd be involved in those discussions.

If McCabe isn't signing the likes of Joe Dixon, then who is signing them? We don't have Stuart Miller or a Director of Football anymore.

Obviously the players should take responsibility for the poor defending but the defensive issues are getting worse instead of better. I guess we can agree to disagree on a lot of issues.

McCabe,  Frizzell and Fordyce are all clients of ConsiliumSports Group as well,  seems an unhealthy trend here..

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Genuine question but who is signing those players then? I’m sure Joe Dixon is one of the many signings with links to Jackie McNamara, so I assume most of them come through McCabe in some way.

McNamara had a dodgy history when Dundee Utd manager and him making money on player recruitment. 

13 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Don't think that's correct, I believe they're his agent and Shelly Kerr's.

I’m sure McCabe’s LinkedIn page describes himself as an associate. Either way McCabe, Frizzell, Devenny, Jay Riley, Stanway, Gabby and Alex Henderson are all represented by that group. And Dixon’s da is at the very least a self-described pal of Jackie McNamara’s. 

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I’m sure McCabe’s LinkedIn page describes himself as an associate. Either way McCabe, Frizzell, Devenny, Jay Riley, Stanway, Gabby and Alex Henderson are all represented by that group. And Dixon’s da is at the very least a self-described pal of Jackie McNamara’s. 

You are indeed correct although not listed on the Consillium website. Does seem a bit unhealthy but I'd be pretty sure PH is aware of, and sanctions.

29 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

McCabe,  Frizzell and Fordyce are all clients of ConsiliumSports Group as well,  seems an unhealthy trend here..

It is easy to see the players in SPFL who are clients of the Consilium Sports Group and it appears that Fordyce is not one of them. Take time to do a bit of research before making comments that are incorrect.

13 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Who is responsible for the signings if not McCabe? Either way, Dixon is clearly a nonsense signing and a waste of everyones time if he’s not even going to come on in a game like yesterday’s. 

Is his signing to bloat the bench and make us look like a semi competent professional football team,    we had a full bench yesterday but that's it,  Dixon and Sal have no chance of getting a game (what's Sal done),  Watson and ATS have been the scapegoats obviously for Dunfermline and Falkirk defeats,  McMaster and Devenney young and ones for the future(heard that before) McGregor who looked good against the slowest defence in history playing against Clyde(still couldn't create a chance)..

We have a decent 11 , when we play well,  Glaring weaknesses have still t o be addressed left back Deveney is costing 2 goals a game, by his inability to do basic full back duties,  full back at any level was the easiest position on the park and still is ( think back to your school or youth playing days)..   

we can chop and change Fordyces central defensive partner all we like, it's not making any difference is it,  ATS, Watson, Byrd who next or is it not easier to drop Fordyce and see if he is the issue,     Ballantyne what's happened to the best most sought after right back in the league,  overweight, slow and just generally pish all season... 

yesterday's game was a classic game of 2 managers setting up there sides differently,  we sat 5 to 10 yards too deep all first half,  Rh ys playing his comfy position just in front of the defence, no doubt in his mind to help Byrd. ??,  Flip over to Queens they also sat too deep for my liking with Gall and McGill up top,   The gap between was where we lost the game we had Telfer, Frizzell and Smith sort of having to cover this area, queens had 5 players  stretching our midfield we really could have been overrun at any time, but they found our very weak spot left back and exploited it, credit to them..  Do I think Bartley is some tactical genius..  Eh No, you don't have to be rip us apart..

A lot are waxing lyrical about McMaster and Devenneys contribution, that was due to the defence pushing 10 to 15 yards further up the pitch,having to chase the game, shortening the pitch and giving the midfield areas to play in, instead of getting played around all first half...  

Can McCabe change this, we have on paper favourable games coming up,  to be honest that paper has been out in the shredder a few weeks back now...

2 minutes ago, WeeJake said:

It is easy to see the players in SPFL who are clients of the Consilium Sports Group and it appears that Fordyce is not one of them. Take time to do a bit of research before making comments that are incorrect.

Hi Callum!

I managed to come away yesterday feeling worse than I did after the Dunfermline collapse. Getting harder to justify dragging the wee man up and down the country when you see shite like that yesterday. 

I very rarely single out players for criticism and try not to but Byrd is going to need a hell of a lot of improvement. So slow to react, misjudging balls in the air, losing his man, constantly being turned easily and giving away fouls. If people want to make excuses they can but that just simply wasn’t good enough. 

I could single out loads more but we are just not good enough defensively. Constant errors and mistakes cost us most weeks and we are far too vulnerable to simple attacks. We seem to get worse defensively not better. That is on the manager to change that and he hasn’t thus far. I am not criticising his ability but even Josh Rae looks so shaky at times with what’s in front of him. He can’t have any faith in that back line. 

Only players to impress me yesterday were Gallagher with his hold up play and McMaster who did very well when he came on. I criticised both Telfer’s and Frizzell’s performances (Frizzel we know how good he a player he is) but people saying Telfer is a waste of a jersey is wrong in my opinion. He is an easy scapegoat going by his time at Falkirk and going on their fan’s opinions. I think he has been one of our better players (the last few months especially) and I think his work rate is fairly decent. I wasn’t at Falkirk so will accept any criticism for his performance last week but there is a fair few in that team deserving of far more criticism than him that seem to get a pass. 

Last point and one that infuriates me is apparently we don’t have a second striker. Salim whether people think good enough or not sits on that bench every week and even when things are clearly not working he doesn’t get a chance. Joe Dixon hasn’t played a single minute yet either. We had Prince and Salim on the bench against Alloa and were 4-0 up after 60 mins. None of them played a single minute despite the game being done. That to me is ridiculous and so disheartening to the strikers we have. Yesterday it was clearly not working and at 3-2 why not throw on a striker (Dixon and Salim were on the bench). QoS are giving Gibson a chance at 17 and although raw he could have scored 2 yesterday and overall played well. 

I liked watching Cole Gibson in the league cup I thought he would have spent some more time around the first team too but I’m maybe missing something on his development and someone can fill me in. 

7 minutes ago, WeeJake said:

Callum?  Sorry mate list is there to see

Apologies Jake if the information provided is factually incorrect at this time, ( past client).

Mistakes happen when i follow the worst full time club at this time  in Scottish football ( I hope that's right)

25 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Ballantyne what's happened to the best most sought after right back in the league,  overweight, slow and just generally pish all season... 

The last few seasons he was managed by a good football manager and coach. This season he isn’t. 

10 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

The last few seasons he was managed by a good football manager and coach. This season he isn’t. 

Whilst that may be true, there are things he does (or doesn't do) that are clear signs that he just isn't a particularly good player. The 2nd goal yesterday being a good example, the focus is on Deveney and Byrd for criticism but watch Ballantyne in the build up, he is comfortably goal side of Gibson by at least 5 yards but when the ball goes across the goal he's nowhere, he didn't have a clue where his man was as his body position was all wrong. There was a similar one 20 minutes before that which ended in him making a last ditch tackle. For all the chat we heard about 'best full back in the league' my only memory of him was Callum Smith roasting him in the play-off game. Shay Logan was also a far better player the last couple of seasons so it wasn't even true anyway.

For me, he is a bang average League 1 full-back who was fortunate to play in a well drilled, solid team that didn't play expansive football, therefore his weaknesses were hidden somewhat. In our team, he doesn't get that protection (which is where I do have sympathy for him, and where your pointhas some relevance) and he doesn't look very good. The truth of the matter is that if he was that good he'd have moved up a league rather than sign a 2 year deal with us, so there must be a lot of other managers who also don't rate him very highly.

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Whilst that may be true, there are things he does (or doesn't do) that are clear signs that he just isn't a particularly good player. The 2nd goal yesterday being a good example, the focus is on Deveney and Byrd for criticism but watch Ballantyne in the build up, he is comfortably goal side of Gibson by at least 5 yards but when the ball goes across the goal he's nowhere, he didn't have a clue where his man was as his body position was all wrong. There was a similar one 20 minutes before that which ended in him making a last ditch tackle. For all the chat we heard about 'best full back in the league' my only memory of him was Callum Smith roasting him in the play-off game. Shay Logan was also a far better player the last couple of seasons so it wasn't even true anyway.

For me, he is a bang average League 1 full-back who was fortunate to play in a well drilled, solid team that didn't play expansive football, therefore his weaknesses were hidden somewhat. In our team, he doesn't get that protection (which is where I do have sympathy for him, and where your pointhas some relevance) and he doesn't look very good. The truth of the matter is that if he was that good he'd have moved up a league rather than sign a 2 year deal with us, so there must be a lot of other managers who also don't rate him very highly.

I don’t really disagree with you TBH. I was being deliberately glib. 

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The 2nd goal yesterday being a good example, the focus is on Deveney and Byrd for criticism but watch Ballantyne in the build up, he is comfortably goal side of Gibson by at least 5 yards but when the ball goes across the goal he's nowhere, he didn't have a clue where his man was as his body position was all wrong

Agree, so we've now blamed the entire defence with the exception of Fordyce and rightly so, they all were at fault but Deveney mostly for me.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The truth of the matter is that if he was that good he'd have moved up a league rather than sign a 2 year deal with us, so there must be a lot of other managers who also don't rate him very highly.

Ian Murray and PH did, they signed him.