The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

Putting aside the managerial stuff for a second, what exactly is McCabe meant to be offering in the middle of the park?

He doesn't have the legs that we need in there with Frizzell and Telfer, doesn't have the physicality either, and offers very little on the ball. He was great last year at the back but I was always unconvinced by the shouts to get him back in midfield. His career trajectory in that position already suggested he wasn't a good option there, and what I've seen this season confirms that. McMaster was much better when he came on at what we need in there, someone to nip in front of players and win second balls. Him sitting out a few games might not only fix the problem of having no-one on the sidelines, but might also improve the midfield.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Putting aside the managerial stuff for a second, what exactly is McCabe meant to be offering in the middle of the park?

He doesn't have the legs that we need in there with Frizzell and Telfer, doesn't have the physicality either, and offers very little on the ball. He was great last year at the back but I was always unconvinced by the shouts to get him back in midfield. His career trajectory in that position already suggested he wasn't a good option there, and what I've seen this season confirms that. McMaster was much better when he came on at what we need in there, someone to nip in front of players and win second balls. Him sitting out a few games might not only fix the problem of having no-one on the sidelines, but might also improve the midfield.

McCabe is the ultimate target being the manager but Byrd got bullied for the 1st goal and showed his lack of experience.

Deveney (who also had a mare) was easily beat for the 2nd followed by Byrd  allowing attacker to get across him.

And Frizzell made an individual error for the 3rd.

I'm not suggesting McCabe was great but these were the issues that ultimately cost us the game.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

McCabe is the ultimate target being the manager but Byrd got bullied for the 1st goal and showed his lack of experience.

Deveney (who also had a mare) was easily beat for the 2nd followed by Byrd  allowing attacker to get across him.

And Frizzell made an individual error for the 3rd.

I'm not suggesting McCabe was great but these were the issues that ultimately cost us the game.

That's all self-evident, my question was a more general one about McCabe's role this season.

I disagree McCabe has been a target in a playing sense, there's questions about his management obviously but that clearly wasn't my point. I know we lack options in midfield but I think our midfield is the primary cause of a lot of our issues. Players run through our midfield so easily and a big part of that is our deepest midfielder cannot go with those players. Or he drops too deep to compensate which then leaves a vacant space in front of the back line.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

That's all self-evident, my question was a more general one about McCabe's role this season.

I disagree McCabe has been a target in a playing sense, there's questions about his management obviously but that clearly wasn't my point. I know we lack options in midfield but I think our midfield is the primary cause of a lot of our issues. Players run through our midfield so easily and a big part of that is our deepest midfielder cannot go with those players. Or he drops too deep to compensate which then leaves a vacant space in front of the back line.

I do actually think he usually offers a lot on the ball in midfield but yeah similar to agnew last season he's basically a man down off the ball.

5 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

I do actually think he usually offers a lot on the ball in midfield but yeah similar to agnew last season he's basically a man down off the ball.

Like everyone at this level he has his limitations but if everyone else in the team could pass the ball like him then we’d be fine. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

Season's already over for me so not going to mention the obvious negatives from today.

I know young Byrd struggled a bit at times today but in fairness was up against best striker in the league in his first start, i think he's shown enough potential that we should persevere with him as he gets match fit because i think if he just bulks up a bit he could be a really good player for us.

Also thought Dean McMaster was easily our best player today when he came on. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to him starting next week and allowing McCabe to manage from the sidelines.

McMaster was the only player who actually put a challenge in on Josh Todd the entire game. Todd had the run of the midfield up until then. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

For various reasons I’d have him at CB personally, but he obviously doesn’t see himself there.

Defensively, we’ve now conceded as many goals as last season having played 13 fewer games and are frequently putting ourselves in the position where scoring 2 or 3 goals isn’t even enough to get us a point. 

The midfield isn’t right either. I don’t think Telfer does enough at either end of the park - for me we don’t score more goals or concede fewer because of him - and McCabe isn’t leading the team as well from midfield as well as he did last season from defence. That said, I can’t see it changing now.

If 15 points a quarter is what’s needed for the playoffs then we’re currently 5 points behind schedule, and with Alloa playing Edinburgh next week we could either be back in the playoff spots or 5 points adrift. No better time to get the defensive side of it fixed, but far from straightforward from here to get into that top 4.

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

I disagree on Agnew, I get not everyone was a fan but we concede a ridiculous number of shots/goals from just outside the box, partially because of McCabe dropping so deep. Agnew wasn’t great defensively but he knew how to hold his position and stay organised. I mentioned it on the match thread but I’d play McMaster next week instead of McCabe. 

I think today is the first time I haven’t felt confident about making the top four, which would ultimately be a failure. At the very least I can see us needing to get something from Meadowbank on the final day. You can already see us going 2-0 up inside twenty minutes before the inevitable happens… 

After a reasonable start and a few half chances, we had to rely on a last ditch clearance by Ballantyne to stop the opener. That was the sign of what was to come

I'd need to watch the lowlights later so don't know who gave their centre back the run on header but losing those goals at corners is so poor.

Comical defending at the second and an error by Frizzel for the third, but we played no real football for much of the game , until McMaster and Devenney replaced McCabe and Telfer( woeful). Gal got his usual goal but it was the first time he'd seen any chances or players up the park in support. 

I think it's the midfield letting us down in so many ways, defending and creating, which is down to the recruitment and tactics.

I remain optimistic we could sneak 4th but that performance today was indeed Air...dire.

Good pie mind you. 

18 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

After a reasonable start and a few half chances, we had to rely on a last ditch clearance by Ballantyne to stop the opener. That was the sign of what was to come

I'd need to watch the lowlights later so don't know who gave their centre back the run on header but losing those goals at corners is so poor.

Comical defending at the second and an error by Frizzel for the third, but we played no real football for much of the game , until McMaster and Devenney replaced McCabe and Telfer( woeful). Gal got his usual goal but it was the first time he'd seen any chances or players up the park in support. 

I think it's the midfield letting us down in so many ways, defending and creating, which is down to the recruitment and tactics.

I remain optimistic we could sneak 4th but that performance today was indeed Air...dire.

Good pie mind you. 

If Murray was still here after a performance like that, the players would be dragged into training on Sunday morning,   not too easy when your management team and players are too busy with their soccer schools or braiding somebody's hair..

1 hour ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

For various reasons I’d have him at CB personally, but he obviously doesn’t see himself there.

Defensively, we’ve now conceded as many goals as last season having played 13 fewer games and are frequently putting ourselves in the position where scoring 2 or 3 goals isn’t even enough to get us a point. 

The midfield isn’t right either. I don’t think Telfer does enough at either end of the park - for me we don’t score more goals or concede fewer because of him - and McCabe isn’t leading the team as well from midfield as well as he did last season from defence. That said, I can’t see it changing now.

If 15 points a quarter is what’s needed for the playoffs then we’re currently 5 points behind schedule, and with Alloa playing Edinburgh next week we could either be back in the playoff spots or 5 points adrift. No better time to get the defensive side of it fixed, but far from straightforward from here to get into that top 4.

I think today showed that Byrd is know here near the standard off this league, warning signs were there with his cameo appearance in the 4 3 Dunfermline game,   To be fair to Dicey he was trying to drag him through the first half,  and the 2 goals he was clearly at fault with,  Second Half he wasn't as bad, really due to Queens having a decent lead to defend,    not to worry Kelt y Hearts await next week, how do we feel about the big man's chances playing against Austin, Higginbotham and Agyeman..

Looking at the last 2 completed League tables (ignoring the short covid ones) 51 points has been enough to secure 4th place but likely that won't be enough this season. We'll probably need 15 points from our last 9 games where we cannot afford defeats at Alloa & Edinburgh away and Montrose at home.

Of course next week against Kelty is now our biggest game of the season especially with Alloa at Edinburgh.

Wasn't at the game yesterday so can't comment too much on the performance but having a look at the goals we conceded yesterday that defending is absolutely horrific. 

We are probably the softest team in the country, even when the goals are conceded, some players either don't look that ar*ed or their heads have dropped completely.

McCabe has had numerous chances to get this shambles of a defence sorted and still we are conceding comedy goals. If we keep defending like that, we won't even make the play offs, never mind win them.

Harped on about it numerous times but we are not getting out of this league unless we get in an experienced manager with a track record of winning league 1.

But all is well as we are the 'best footballing team in the league' 🤦‍♂️

Best footballing side in the league! 

That’s maybe the worst set of goals we’ve conceded in the one game this season. And given the nonsense we’ve served up most weeks, that is some feat. It’s a disgrace and there’s no excuse for us still giving away free headers, leaving men unmarked in the box and switching off at set pieces. We’ve done these things all season and it’s March now. That’s a damning failure of McCabe’s coaching and organisation. Laughably bad. 

7 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Wasn't at the game yesterday so can't comment too much on the performance but having a look at the goals we conceded yesterday that defending is absolutely horrific. 

We are probably the softest team in the country, even when the goals are conceded, some players either don't look that ar*ed or their heads have dropped completely.

McCabe has had numerous chances to get this shambles of a defence sorted and still we are conceding comedy goals. If we keep defending like that, we won't even make the play offs, never mind win them.

Harped on about it numerous times but we are not getting out of this league unless we get in an experienced manager with a track record of winning league 1.

Agree that the goals are horrendous but what can the manager do other than drop the players involved?

Byrd is as weak as water at the first.

Deveney doesn't even stick a leg out to stop the cross at the 2nd.

Individual error by Frizzell for the 3rd.

You can be the best coach in the world but players really need to do the basics. 

20 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Simple, answer manager does not have a clue how to change anything,did think Byrd would have done a bit better ,first full game against a fair team,midfield players seem all the same tippy tappyplayers not the players you need when need to battle for points ,

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Agree that the goals are horrendous but what can the manager do other than drop the players involved?

Byrd is as weak as water at the first.

Deveney doesn't even stick a leg out to stop the cross at the 2nd.

Individual error by Frizzell for the 3rd.

You can be the best coach in the world but players really need to do the basics. 

The manager is responsible for recruitment and our assistant manager is our captain, both of them have failed to organise our defence all season. 

Why have we basically been playing with one centre back pretty much all season? 

When it comes to defending what do they actually work on in training?

Agree with the 3rd goal it is a poor individual error, even at the start of the free kick Frizz and Telfer weren't even switched on.

The players do need to do the basics I do agree, but this isn't a one off, the defensive mistakes have happened time and time again. Ultimately the buck stops with the management team.

15 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

The manager is responsible for recruitment and our assistant manager is our captain, both of them have failed to organise our defence all season. 

Why have we basically been playing with one centre back pretty much all season? 

Agree with the 3rd goal it is a poor individual error, even at the start of the free kick Frizz and Telfer weren't even switched on.

The players do need to do the basics I do agree, but this isn't a one off, the defensive mistakes have happened time and time again. Ultimately the buck stops with the management team.

Certainly been a horrendous month for team and supporters,reading about all the players that can step up to championship ,did anyone see any player yesterday that could step up,players including manager need a reality check,

14 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

The manager is responsible for recruitment

Not sure that's 100% true. Do you really believe that McCabe went to PH and said I want to sign Joe Dixon!

15 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

It's completely disingenuous to suggest that. So you blame McCabe for Deveney not putting a tackle in and Byrd losing his man although in his case, it's inexperience and naivety.