The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

For me, our problems were fairly obvious today. We had enough chances to win five games but were not clinical in the box for the umpteenth time.

I don’t know, while we could undoubtedly be more clinical going forward we can’t rely on scoring three or four every week. We average just under two goals scored a game, only Falkirk have scored more than us. For me the clear issues with this team are being very soft and not being able to do the basics defensively. It’s rare we concede a genuinely great goal, the vast majority contain some form of us shooting ourselves in the foot.

1 hour ago, dextermorgan said:

With regard to the mental aspect of the game, I don't believe that a manager on the sidelines would be an improvement to a manager on the park. Maybe only as someone who can take a broader view tactically.

With regard to Ian McCall I don't think for a minute that he would come here as he will find better-paid employment elsewhere.

You need that leadership both in the dugout and on the pitch though which is the problem. Being able to have a broader view RE tactics allows you to actually manage a game, make appropriate tactical and personnel changes, see out or regain leads and win games which is what breeds a winning mentality and strong resilience. A good manager will also sign good leaders and players who are a bit streetwise and ‘cute’, which we don’t really have at all. Being a leader on the park is also very different to managing a squad of players but we have no distinction between the two at all. 

7 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

One of the things that has annoyed me about us has been the poor recruitment in January. McCabe has always repeatadly said that 'hes not just going to sign any player but only ones that will improve the team.'

The bench looks bigger in numbers but what's the point of having the likes of Byrd, McMaster, Salim and Dixon and as @Mr Novemberhas pointed out already, I struggle to see the point in these signings.

Its criminal that we are nearly into March, and have played the entire season with only one natural centre back in the squad.

We are still relying pretty much on the same starting 11 every week and if we need to change anything we can't.

The Devenny for Deveney like-for-like sub was laughable. I like Devenny but that substitution wasn’t going to claw the game back for us. Maybe they’re not any good but you’ve got two forwards on the bench in Salim and Dixon. We’re already 3-1 down, just chuck them on and go for it. So much for McCabe’s mantra… But the fact they didn’t come on today or in similar circumstances in other games is a worry. We’re not that far away from either of them having to play in the event of injuries or suspensions. 

A concern for me is how many of those January signings are intended to be part of any long-term plans? Jay Riley’s not good enough, Joe Dixon has obviously been deemed as not good enough or at best not ready and Bright is only 17 and more of an internet cult figure than he is part of the squad. Has Big Byrd really come from Australia just to sit on Airdrie’s bench for only half a season? We haven’t seen a lot of him but he’s very much in the unconvinced pile for me. Add in Wylie, McMaster, Henderson and Lyness and it hardly bodes well for a McCabe rebuild in either division next season. His best players are the ones who were already here and his best signings were ones any of us could have identified - Ballantyne, Rae and Jamieson - and even then all three of them have come with caveats. I suppose ATS and Deveney have turned out decent. But if you wanted to be harsh are both of them really good enough either? A definite worry considering a lot of our better players will go if/when we don’t get promoted (again). 

13 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I don’t know, while we could undoubtedly be more clinical going forward we can’t rely on scoring three or four every week. We average just under two goals scored a game, only Falkirk have scored more than us. For me the clear issues with this team are being very soft and not being able to do the basics defensively. It’s rare we concede a genuinely great goal, the vast majority contain some form of us shooting ourselves in the foot.

If our strikers are not clinical enough,our midfield to light ,our defence just can't defend,and we don't know who is playing in goal from week to week,I think our manager has a problem ,

16 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

A concern for me is how many of those January signings are intended to be part of any long-term plans? Jay Riley’s not good enough, Joe Dixon has obviously been deemed as not good enough or at best not ready and Bright is only 17 and more of an internet cult figure than he is part of the squad. Has Big Byrd really come from Australia just to sit on Airdrie’s bench for only half a season? We haven’t seen a lot of him but he’s very much in the unconvinced pile for me. Add in Wylie, McMaster, Henderson and Lyness and it hardly bodes well for a McCabe rebuild in either division next season. His best players are the ones who were already here and his best signings were ones any of us could have identified - Ballantyne, Rae and Jamieson - and even then all three of them have come with caveats. I suppose ATS and Deveney have turned out decent. But if you wanted to be harsh are both of them really good enough either? A definite worry considering a lot of our better players will go if/when we don’t get promoted (again). 

If these players are part of a 'long term plan' why are their contracts only until the end of the season?

I know Byrd and Dixon's contract they have an option to extend it a further year if they want to but I have no idea about the rest of the contracts.

Why have a development team to develop young players then also sign young players for the bench who the manager either doesn't fancy or aren't good enough?

48 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

If these players are part of a 'long term plan' why are their contracts only until the end of the season?

I know Byrd and Dixon's contract they have an option to extend it a further year if they want to but I have no idea about the rest of the contracts.

Why have a development team to develop young players then also sign young players for the bench who the manager either doesn't fancy or aren't good enough?

Agree recruitment has been sketchy at best,  going through a few on the list,  Ballantyne who came under a fanfare of the best right back in the league,  is arguably not even the best right back at the club (Watson).. J Devenney is gradually coming back into the team after a while riding the pine...  Has potential but have we got the patience to nurture the likes of him and possibly McMaster for the next 2 to 3 seasons,  don't think so...

Sal is obviously not in McCabes plans and will go at season end,  apparently he is still on his Livvy contract terms which we took on, when we signed him...

A few were shouting for Byrd to come on, doesn't bear thinking about, he is lowland league at best, shocking signing,    McGregor is another ,  headless chicken, Sand dancer , he offers nothing but pace, sounds good though eh,,  a poor mans Phil Johnston and that says something..   Dixon was that far out of it, he didn't even bother warming up...

We still have 2 loanees available ( does Johnston count). Surely we need (still) to get a left back Deveney is very good going forward and has a wicked cross in him,   he has his defenders,  he is not one and Morrison pinged numerous crosses in all game and got 2 goals from it,    why not do a Jamie Bain and push him further up,  an old fashioned no 11,  get a left back to defend and get tight to is man,  sometimes the answer is staring you in the face....

Onwards and upwards

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree recruitment has been sketchy at best,  going through a few on the list,  Ballantyne who came under a fanfare of the best right back in the league,  is arguably not even the best right back at the club (Watson).. J Devenney is gradually coming back into the team after a while riding the pine...  Has potential but have we got the patience to nurture the likes of him and possibly McMaster for the next 2 to 3 seasons,  don't think so...

Sal is obviously not in McCabes plans and will go at season end,  apparently he is still on his Livvy contract terms which we took on, when we signed him...

A few were shouting for Byrd to come on, doesn't bear thinking about, he is lowland league at best, shocking signing,    McGregor is another ,  headless chicken, Sand dancer , he offers nothing but pace, sounds good though eh,,  a poor mans Phil Johnston and that says something..   Dixon was that far out of it, he didn't even bother warming up...

We still have 2 loanees available ( does Johnston count). Surely we need (still) to get a left back Deveney is very good going forward and has a wicked cross in him,   he has his defenders,  he is not one and Morrison pinged numerous crosses in all game and got 2 goals from it,    why not do a Jamie Bain and push him further up,  an old fashioned no 11,  get a left back to defend and get tight to is man,  sometimes the answer is staring you in the face....

Onwards and upwards

We were talking about Ballantyne today and I agree he’s been a bit of a disappointment. He has been the best right back in the league for the last few years but he’s struggled more than I expected so far, alongside the red cards. I think a lot of that is not being in a traditionally structured and well organised Montrose team anymore, whereas we’re very open and expansive. I’d possibly have Watson ahead of him too, though I’d also have ATS at centre back ahead of Watson.

I’d heard the same about Salim. Presumably outside the management team and maybe Telfer or Smith he must be the highest earner? A really disappointing signing overall.

Today was terrible no doubt about it but I'm glad the club don't share some of the short sightedness on this thread. From writing off young players who have played 2 games as 'lowland league level' to wanting a manager (who admittedly can do a job in the short term), but has been around forever, yet never really sustained success at any club. Wouldn't we rather build foundations to sustain success than be in the same situation 2/3 years later?

I think the club are trying to do this which i get is controversial as it means we may suffer in the short term. Unfortunately, this means that we have players that are not ready right now but may be in seasons to come. Equally we have young coaches that are clearly flawed as they are learning on the job, but as they go and get more experienced i believe they'll improve in all areas, which includes recruitment, game management etc.

The appointment of McCabe at the start of the season coupled with the reintroduction of the academy set up, is clearly an indication of a long term project that which is something that excites me as i don't think we've really had that before (hence the decade of consistent failure in this league). 

I completely get how a lot of people just want out of this league asap no matter what, (especially if you are lucky enough to remember much better times) but i have a genuine belief that with this approach we'd have a far better chance of eventually getting out (AND STAYING OUT) of this dreadful league.

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I think we’ve had 12 penalties in the last two seasons. We’ve scored 4 (McCabe x 3 and Telfer) and missed 8 (Salim, McCabe x 2, Easton, McGill, Jamieson, Smith and Telfer). That’s an atrocious record, just unacceptably bad.

Don't know why Gal doesn't take one ,

11 hours ago, airdrieman said:

You need that leadership both in the dugout and on the pitch though which is the problem. Being able to have a broader view RE tactics allows you to actually manage a game, make appropriate tactical and personnel changes, see out or regain leads and win games which is what breeds a winning mentality and strong resilience. A good manager will also sign good leaders and players who are a bit streetwise and ‘cute’, which we don’t really have at all. Being a leader on the park is also very different to managing a squad of players but we have no distinction between the two at all. 

The Devenny for Deveney like-for-like sub was laughable. I like Devenny but that substitution wasn’t going to claw the game back for us. Maybe they’re not any good but you’ve got two forwards on the bench in Salim and Dixon. We’re already 3-1 down, just chuck them on and go for it. So much for McCabe’s mantra… But the fact they didn’t come on today or in similar circumstances in other games is a worry. We’re not that far away from either of them having to play in the event of injuries or suspensions. 

We must remember that not all pre-season signings were McCabe's and as mentioned previously, we are hoping unearth some young talent to make the club viable although it's fair to say that's not looking likely at the moment.

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

We must remember that not all pre-season signings were McCabe's and as mentioned previously, we are hoping unearth some young talent to make the club viable although it's fair to say that's not looking likely at the moment.

How many Airdrie players would get a start in the Falkirk side,

6 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Today was terrible no doubt about it but I'm glad the club don't share some of the short sightedness on this thread. From writing off young players who have played 2 games as 'lowland league level' to wanting a manager (who admittedly can do a job in the short term), but has been around forever, yet never really sustained success at any club. Wouldn't we rather build foundations to sustain success than be in the same situation 2/3 years later?

I think the club are trying to do this which i get is controversial as it means we may suffer in the short term. Unfortunately, this means that we have players that are not ready right now but may be in seasons to come. Equally we have young coaches that are clearly flawed as they are learning on the job, but as they go and get more experienced i believe they'll improve in all areas, which includes recruitment, game management etc.

The appointment of McCabe at the start of the season coupled with the reintroduction of the academy set up, is clearly an indication of a long term project that which is something that excites me as i don't think we've really had that before (hence the decade of consistent failure in this league). 

I completely get how a lot of people just want out of this league asap no matter what, (especially if you are lucky enough to remember much better times) but i have a genuine belief that with this approach we'd have a far better chance of eventually getting out (AND STAYING OUT) of this dreadful league.

In the last 10 years the managers that have won league 1 are;

Allan Johnston

Ian McCall x2

John McGlynn

Dick Campbell

Jim Duffy

David Martindale

Paul Hartley

Do you notice anything in particular with the managers I've listed? Majority of them are all experienced managers and have won trophies/promotions previously with other clubs.

Is the management team learning from their mistakes though? I think most of the posters on this thread understood the 6-0 Edinburgh game for an example but time and time again we completely capitulate.

I'm one of McCabe's biggest fans he was my favourite player last season and I backed the appointment 100% but I think everyone one here will admit the appointment was a gamble.

Even with having a model of a youth academy, young players etc and what you see as a better structure, even if you do get to the Championship, there's no guarantee you would stay there, that league is so competitive even teams like Falkirk, Thistle and Dunfermline have been relegated to this league.

Unfortunately I don't have many decent memories being an Airdrie fan, the only one really being the 2004 league title, my focus would be on getting out of this league no matter what, because we've been jobbing it here for over a decade now.

Edited by David Fernández

30 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

In the last 10 years the managers that have won league 1 are;

Allan Johnston

Ian McCall x2

John McGlynn

Dick Campbell

Jim Duffy

David Martindale

Paul Hartley

Do you notice anything in particular with the managers I've listed? Majority of them are all experienced managers and have won trophies/promotions previously with other clubs.

Is the management team learning from their mistakes though? I think most of the posters on this thread understood the 6-0 Edinburgh game for an example but time and time again we completely capitulate.

I'm one of McCabe's biggest fans he was my favourite player last season and I backed the appointment 100% but I think everyone one here will admit the appointment was a gamble.

Even with having a model of a youth academy, young players etc and what you see as a better structure, even if you do get to the Championship, there's no guarantee you would stay there, that league is so competitive even teams like Falkirk, Thistle and Dunfermline have been relegated to this league.

Unfortunately I don't have many decent memories being an Airdrie fan, the only one really being the 2004 league title, my focus would be on getting out of this league no matter what, because we've been jobbing it here for over a decade now.

Here’s a list of managers that blew comfortable leads catastrophically in the latter stages of games in recent years  

McCabe - Dunfermline 2023

Findlay - Raith 2018

Wolecki-Black - Peterhead 2015

Notice a pattern? All inexperienced managers…

7 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

This squad is going nowhere fast and are starting to look like a league 2 side. The manager making a load of signings to warm the bench and lack of basic tactical understanding are both mysteries, and the team's lack of resilience is quite frankly unparalleled.

21 minutes ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Here’s a list of managers that blew comfortable leads catastrophically in the latter stages of games in recent years  

McCabe - Dunfermline 2023

Findlay - Raith 2018

Wolecki-Black - Peterhead 2015

Notice a pattern? All inexperienced managers…

And they all stuck to there philosophy of playing football the right way,   more interested in getting praise from there peers,  look at the last 3 weeks. McPake waxing lyrical about us being the best team they have faced walking away with 4 points in his pocket, same with McG lynn blowing smoke up our arse saying how good we are, with his team running out comfortable winners,    we As a club and fanbase  r so naive and gullible ,  time to wisen up FFS....

1 point from 9 in the last 3 games from the positions we’ve been in is a horrendous return and shows exactly why a player manager doesn’t work especially in these bigger games against more experienced sides. It baffles me that no experienced coach came him to help McCabe and sit on the sidelines, Sandy clark managing at east stirling last couple of months, surely we could’ve offered him to come in part time to help a bit of training and be on a touch line on a saturday? 

I don’t want to try and Criticise McCabe too much but he said at the start of the season last seasons squad was too big and too many bench fillers that weren’t good enough to challenge the starting 11….. sounds familiar.

I’m still confident we’ll get playoffs I can’t see Edinburgh and Alloa both finishing above us, but there’s no chance we’ll beat the likes of Falkirk/Arbroath/accies/cove over 2 legs. Another season pretty much over for me and a big summer of decisions ahead.

3 minutes ago, Diamond diehard said:

Utter nonsense to suggest we are looking like a league 2 side. Get a grip. 

I agree. We've come off 3 games against the top 2 and competed for most of those games. We aren't as good as them but that doesn't mean we look League 2 standard. We should have enough to finish in the top 4 and I still think we will. There are obvious flaws and the wider approach of the club is worthy of discussion, but the overeaction to the last 3 games is ridiculous.