The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

*Googles how much is an East Stirlingshire half- season ticket?* 

In all seriousness, he’s not getting a game for us atm so he’s as well going on loan to play first team football at a decent level and learn from it + potentially show what he can offer. Hope the big man smashes it! 

Edited by airdrieman

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

*Googles how much is an East Stirlingshire season ticket?* 

In all seriousness, he’s not getting a game for us atm so he’s as well going on loan to play first team football at a decent level and learn from it + potentially show what he can offer. Hope the big man smashes it! 

PS how much is a half-season ticket at East Stirlingshire? 

Commiserations mate hope you're holding up okay during this difficult time.

(Also googling the price of a Half Season Ticket at East Stirlingshire). 

12 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The match thread for today's game is the predictable mess, so Muzz Johnson starts in goal but does Smith come back in? I think his pace is invaluable but not sure of Rhys's thinking on this one.

I would put Smith back in myself but I wouldn’t be annoyed if he went with the same team and system he played last week. He’s been pretty set on going with the three forwards so I’d be surprised if Smith wasn’t straight back in but you never know. 

I suppose it’s not really any different to him being in the squad but never coming on, but if I wonder if Bright heading out on loan might see us bring in forward? We’re cutting it pretty fine in terms of signing someone but Salim and Dixon being our only forwards off the bench is a bit grim. Gabby picks up injuries here and there and if either Gal or Smith went out injured for a period of time we’d be fucked. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I suppose it’s not really any different to him being in the squad but never coming on, but if I wonder if Bright heading out on loan might see us bring in forward? We’re cutting it pretty fine in terms of signing someone but Salim and Dixon being our only forwards off the bench is a bit grim. Gabby picks up injuries here and there and if either Gal or Smith went out injured for a period of time we’d be fucked. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jamieson return, only got till Tuesday to find out I suppose,  we have 2 loanees slots available,  Rhys playing with fire for the run in, if we don't get somebody else in IMO..

13 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jamieson return, only got till Tuesday to find out I suppose,  we have 2 loanees slots available,  Rhys playing with fire for the run in, if we don't get somebody else in IMO..

I’d be delighted if we got Jamieson back. Not sure how much of a game he’s getting at St Mirren? But I can’t think of any scenario in which I’d rather play any of Salim, Dixon or McGregor (through the middle) upfront than Jamieson. As I said above, if any of our current front three are out for an extended period of time we’re snookered. Looking forward to playing the play-off final with Janny, Dixon and Dom Kavanagh as the front three. 

8 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I’d be delighted if we got Jamieson back. Not sure how much of a game he’s getting at St Mirren? But I can’t think of any scenario in which I’d rather play any of Salim, Dixon or McGregor (through the middle) upfront than Jamieson. As I said above, if any of our current front three are out for an extended period of time we’re snookered. Looking forward to playing the play-off final with Janny, Dixon and Dom Kavanagh as the front three. 

Jamieson looks to have played 11 minutes since his return to St Mirren so it does look a possibility and given that St Mirren's financial position isn't great perhaps they will be happy to offload.

42 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Jamieson looks to have played 11 minutes since his return to St Mirren so it does look a possibility and given that St Mirren's financial position isn't great perhaps they will be happy to offload.

He is on the bench today though.

Very clearly a mentality problem within this team. There’s been a few “oh no here we go” moments this season: Ballantyne reds against Dundee and Edinburgh, Smith red against Dunfermline, Telfer’s penalty miss today… and when they happen you just know something bad is going to happen. It’s all very predictable.

Need to go all out and get Ian McCall involved in some capacity. Even as a “director of football” that can exert some influence on that side, because very simply we are sleepwalking to another few seasons in League One.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train
Spelling.

21 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Very clearly a mentality problem within this team. There’s been a few “oh no here we go” moments this season: Ballantyne reds against Dundee and Edinburgh, Smith red against Dunfermline, Telfer’s penalty miss today… and when they happen you just know something bad is going to happen. It’s all very predictable.

Need to go l out and get Ian McCall involved in some capacity. Even as a “director of football” that can exert some influence on that side, because very simply we are sleepwalking to another few seasons in League One.

McCall as DoF would be ideal I think. McCabe’s major issues are his lack of experience and the fact he’s on the pitch. McCall would offer experience and be able to watch the match from the stand.

Falkirk’s first two goals today came from really sloppy play in the middle of the park, first from Stanway then from Telfer. Thought Smith had to come on because Falkirk were getting far too much joy through their right back, but that three man midfield was far too soft. Telfer can be good but he offers absolutely when we aren’t strolling it.

I say it all the time but this is such a frustrating team. There’s so many good points about them and the way we play but the downsides are just so pronounced it’s ridiculous. I think that’s 13 points dropped this calendar year alone from winning positions (3 v Edinburgh, 2 v Kelty, 5 v Dunfermline, 3 v Falkirk). That simply isn’t sustainable at any level. 

I think these three games have been a bit of a reality check. Some people were talking about winning all three games before we played them and while that seemed unrealistic, we actually took the lead and had spells of looking dominant in all three. Unfortunately the main issue is how soft we are as soon as anything goes against us. It doesn’t matter what the situation is, whether it’s a sending off, a missed penalty, even just conceding a goal and we seem to crumble. We’ve seen this at points throughout the season but it’s been very apparent across these three games, though particularly the home ones as I thought we did well last week.

You can forgive these things if they’re one-offs. I wasn’t too fussed about the 6-0 defeat to Edinburgh as it appeared to be a freak result and similarly there were circumstances that easily explained the 6-2 game at Dundee.

We all know the subs are hardly every going to play but at 3-1 down today none of them were out warming up, before the eventual change of Deveney (who was doing fine) for Devenny. Just chuck Salim on and go for it, what we were doing was clearly getting nowhere. We made a lot of signings in January but it’s hard to see the point in most of them.

Still can’t defend a lead. Still can’t win when the other team scores. Still can’t score a penalty. Still clown car defending every week. Still no bottle. Still no resilience or ability to respond to any set back. Not good enough. We can play all the nice football we want but we’ve no resilience or bottle whatsoever, rendering it pointless. No chance that team is winning a play-off.

We’ve literally one way of playing which is batter a team into submission, and even then we can’t defend a lead anymore. If that game plan doesn’t work we’re fucked. 

Give Ian McCall what he wants because that team isn’t getting promoted without a proper manager. 

Edited by airdrieman

For me, our problems were fairly obvious today. We had enough chances to win five games but were not clinical in the box for the umpteenth time. We also cannot compete with Falkirk and Dunfermline in terms of quality squad numbers unless we approach their crowd sizes so I don't see that changing.

Not scoring and conceding at crucial times in games has been our undoing of late coupled with conceding penalties. With regard to the mental aspect of the game, I don't believe that a manager on the sidelines would be an improvement to a manager on the park. Maybe only as someone who can take a broader view tactically.

With regard to Ian McCall I don't think for a minute that he would come here as he will find better-paid employment elsewhere.

7 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I'd rather be relegated than have that odious lying cretin McCall anywhere near the club. Davie Hutton is correct about him.

Neither know nor care what Hutton said about McCall. Fact is he's a man who gets performances and results from a football team and that's what matters. If we were employing people based on them being of  good character I don't think Hutton would be anywhere near us.

2 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Neither know nor care what Hutton said about McCall. Fact is he's a man who gets performances and results from a football team and that's what matters. If we were employing people based on them being of  good character I don't think Hutton would be anywhere near us.

Ok, take away Hutton's comments and he's still odious cretin who barefaced lied to all Airdrie fans in the famous Town Hall night, he should never be forgiven and i will never forget.

One of the things that has annoyed me about us has been the poor recruitment in January. McCabe has always repeatadly said that 'hes not just going to sign any player but only ones that will improve the team.'

The bench looks bigger in numbers but what's the point of having the likes of Byrd, McMaster, Salim and Dixon and as @Mr Novemberhas pointed out already, I struggle to see the point in these signings.

Its criminal that we are nearly into March, and have played the entire season with only one natural centre back in the squad.

We are still relying pretty much on the same starting 11 every week and if we need to change anything we can't.