The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

The play in the first half was excellent, to say the least, but irrespective of the penalty I don't know if we would have held them as the game went on. Our style of high-energy pressing for the first fifty minutes is difficult to maintain for most sides at this level. As with Edinburgh and a few other games we have succumbed as the games progressed although we still had chances to bury it today. The tide turned in my opinion with Otoo coming on for Dunfermline as the dominance we had in midfield almost disappeared. The Dunfermline goals I would like to see again as it appeared that we were taken apart all too easily.

What summed our failures up for me was bringing Lachie on at the same time as Todorov with the one object in mind...stay on him at all times. Within five minutes Lachie had lost him in the box and it was 3-3. Not to blame the defeat on the big guy as he's still learning but the second half was men against boys at times.

22 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Don't think enough has been made about the first sub after the sending off. There's a reason Devenny has hardly featured this season and that's because he's not good enough. A complete waste of a jersey that was chasing shadows and nothing else despite being our freshest set of legs. Ultimately that comes down to the poor decision making by the manager to day and poor summer recruitment. Not fucking good enough.

Guarantee Deveny and McMaster will be the  first to re sign ne xt season

42 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Pretty much spot on..     Credit to champions elect Dunfermline,   McPake who is not known for his tactical prowess,   played a bl inder especially with his subs,   Hamilton and Chalmers couldn't handle Friz and Telfer,  that 25 minute spell in the first half Airdrie were as good as we can be,  Dunfermline couldn't live with us at that time,     2nd Half even with 11 men, we defended too deep both full backs were atrocious defensively especially Ballantyne,  we got the 3rd against the run of play,  to be honest the 3 goal lead could have went up I n smoke even with 11 men we just seemed maxed out at times with the lead landlocked leadership.   McPake kept on making progressive subs,  we were A shambles and McCabe must take the flak for it,  Dunfermline were so comfortable they took off Breen and put o n O Hara up front,  If Sal was introduced and let's be honest we needed him, we could gain some territory , up the park etc.   We were only one man down although we played as if we had 8 men...     This was a free hit today, with no ground lost,  worryingly though we have showed all other teams  our weakness under pressure....

6 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

The play in the first half was excellent, to say the least, but irrespective of the penalty I don't know if we would have held them as the game went on. Our style of high-energy pressing for the first fifty minutes is difficult to maintain for most sides at this level. As with Edinburgh and a few other games we have succumbed as the games progressed although we still had chances to bury it today. The tide turned in my opinion with Otoo coming on for Dunfermline as the dominance we had in midfield almost disappeared. The Dunfermline goals I would like to see again as it appeared that we were taken apart all too easily.

What summed our failures up for me was bringing Lachie on at the same time as Todorov with the one object in mind...stay on him at all times. Within five minutes Lachie had lost him in the box and it was 3-3. Not to blame the defeat on the big guy as he's still learning but the second half was men against boys at times.

To have no proper centre forward on the park when it was still 3-2 was a disgrace. Clear as day there was no discernible plan after the red card and watching them lump long balls up to McGregor that he was never going to win was embarrassing. It wasn’t his fault but he was chasing a lost cause at that point. Have to assume McCabe doesn’t rate or trust Salim but surely just keep Gal on then? Some sort of presence upfront is better than none and they were essentially left with all the time and space they wanted to launch attacks. 

The Byrd sub was strange too when you’ve got Watson on the bench. I don’t think it’d have made a difference to the end result but Watson has a bit of experience and might not have let Wighton waltz past him to put the cross in for the winner. That was exactly the sort of game where we needed all the experience and ‘characters’ we have on the park and McCabe’s relying on an 18 year old and an inexperienced, raw defender over Salim and Watson? Like I said above, not convinced either would really have made any difference but it seems another in a litany of poor management decisions made today. 

Speaking of which, real amateur stuff to waste a sub break on Byrd when we could have brought him and McGregor on at the same time and kept one spare. 

6 hours ago, Ballboy said:

I agree with the posts above.   We don't seem to be able to change shape and still don't have anyone on the bench that can come on and impact a game.  At 3-2 everyone around me was saying the defence needed to change.  We just looked more and more nervous as the game went on.   And now we lose smith for 3 games. 

How on earth do a team that's 3 nil up and not shut the back door?

Today's evidence shows that Airdrie are not a team capable of getting up into the championship.

I've seen many battles between the 2 teams over the years but today well? 

Being one man down, 3 nill up, 40 odd minutes to go sums up Airdrieonians, they're pish, simple. The next 5 or 6 games the DA should win at a canter then the titles in the bag.

Sorry Airdrieonians fans, yous are not up to it. 

6 hours ago, Yankee_Dollar said:

How on earth do a team that's 3 nil up and not shut the back door?

Today's evidence shows that Airdrie are not a team capable of getting up into the championship.

I've seen many battles between the 2 teams over the years but today well? 

Being one man down, 3 nill up, 40 odd minutes to go sums up Airdrieonians, they're pish, simple. The next 5 or 6 games the DA should win at a canter then the titles in the bag.

Sorry Airdrieonians fans, yous are not up to it. 

I always enjoy coming on here for considered and intelligent analysis like this.

10 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It's bad luck

Your striker punches the ball away in the box, its stupidity not bad luck.

You were lucky that Smith's red didn't have you down to 9. 

Edited by 101

10 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Watson surely should have been on as soon as Smith was sent off, maybe would not have changed the score but all the experience was needed,manager  didn't know what to do needs to stick to playing,could have subbed himself and Fordyce after Smith went  off  they could not concentrate on playing side,

9 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Watson surely should have been on as soon as Smith was sent off, maybe would not have changed the score but all the experience was needed,manager  didn't know what to do needs to stick to playing,could have subbed himself and Fordyce after Smith went  off  they could not concentrate on playing side,

Yeah I said at the time I’d have brought Watson on and pushed Ballantyne, who was having a tough time against Edwards, up one into midfield. I also thought McCabe was taking himself off when Stanway was stripped to manage the game from the side, the confusion between the coaches on the pitch and in the dugout was embarrassing. I doubt it would have made much difference though.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Your striker punches the ball away in the box, its stupidity not bad luck.

You were lucky that Smith's red didn't have you down to 9. 

From the goal highlights Smith halls and is rolling over. He's barely even looking in the direction of the ball when it hits him. Never a red card. 

And why down to 9? Assume you think the keeper should have been sent off? 

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

From the goal highlights Smith halls and is rolling over. He's barely even looking in the direction of the ball when it hits him. Never a red card. 

Very questionable Red card. He’s rolling on the ground, not clear from the angle whether it already hit his body and then deflected onto his arm and there are players between him and the goal.

Even the penalty you could argue was harsh, if your arm is breaking your fall it’s supposed to not be deemed a hand ball. He’s rolling on the floor. 

Rae incident I’ve still to see. I didn’t think that the ball was out of the box. If it was then the ref bottled it - which might be why he then threw the book at Smith

27 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Very questionable Red card. He’s rolling on the ground, not clear from the angle whether it already hit his body and then deflected onto his arm and there are players between him and the goal.

Even the penalty you could argue was harsh, if your arm is breaking your fall it’s supposed to not be deemed a hand ball. He’s rolling on the floor. 

Rae incident I’ve still to see. I didn’t think that the ball was out of the box. If it was then the ref bottled it - which might be why he then threw the book at Smith

Looks like the ref was levelling up,  saw the highlights ball definitely over the line with Rae...  I would appeal Smith's red,  very harsh, a yellow and a pen  and no one would have moaned..

39 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Keeper should 100% been off the linesman had a great view of it.

Although it was never going to happen the referee could have booked him for taking his time with the re-starts he had a word in his ear and had a few opportunities after that to flash a second yellow. But would have been very unlikely indeed.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Although it was never going to happen the referee could have booked him for taking his time with the re-starts he had a word in his ear and had a few opportunities after that to flash a second yellow. But would have been very unlikely indeed.

Just put the screen grabs from highlights on the match thread. Ball looks in from every frame I can grab.

1 minute ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Just put the screen grabs from highlights on the match thread. Ball looks in from every frame I can grab.

I've just put up the frame of just after he gathers it for a second time and he's in the D.

40 minutes ago, 101 said:

I've just put up the frame of just after he gathers it for a second time and he's in the D.

I don’t think you can say all the ball is over all of the line in any of the images. I though he did really well to manoeuvre himself to let his legs go forward and keep the ball back as far as he could.

One thing I’ll not dispute though, he looked guilty as sin after it!

Like most fans, I don’t know the rules of the game. If you gather the ball as a keeper in the box and your momentum takes you out, it’s not necessarily a card of any colour. 

Interpretation seems to be that the Goal Scoring Opportunity was denied legally. It’s then just a hand ball outside of the box and that isn’t always a card.

Who’d be a ref!?

12 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Don't think enough has been made about the first sub after the sending off. There's a reason Devenny has hardly featured this season and that's because he's not good enough. A complete waste of a jersey that was chasing shadows and nothing else despite being our freshest set of legs. Ultimately that comes down to the poor decision making by the manager to day and poor summer recruitment. Not fucking good enough.

Absolute nonsense post. Devenny is a decent player on his day, possibly not consistent enough but that happens when you're not playing a lot of minutes on a regular basis.

I don't think he was the right substitution at that time but that's nothing to do with him being "a waste of a jersey".

I can only summise that you're the type who shouts abuse at players in his own team.

8 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Absolute nonsense post. Devenny is a decent player on his day, possibly not consistent enough but that happens when you're not playing a lot of minutes on a regular basis.

I don't think he was the right substitution at that time but that's nothing to do with him being "a waste of a jersey".

I can only summise that you're the type who shouts abuse at players in his own team.

Continue to summise, you might get there one day.  He's not good enough, it's as simple as that. Lightweight and non existent as shown yesterday.

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Looks like the ref was levelling up,  saw the highlights ball definitely over the line with Rae...  I would appeal Smith's red,  very harsh, a yellow and a pen  and no one would have moaned..

3 hours ago, 101 said:

2 hours ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I don’t think you can say all the ball is over all of the line in any of the images. I though he did really well to manoeuvre himself to let his legs go forward and keep the ball back as far as he could.

One thing I’ll not dispute though, he looked guilty as sin after it!

Like most fans, I don’t know the rules of the game. If you gather the ball as a keeper in the box and your momentum takes you out, it’s not necessarily a card of any colour. 

Interpretation seems to be that the Goal Scoring Opportunity was denied legally. It’s then just a hand ball outside of the box and that isn’t always a card.

Who’d be a ref!?

When people were posting yesterday that Josh Rae was lucky not to get red for handling outside the box I assumed, wrongly it turns out, that he had been booked and it was the usual fans shouting about red cards for deliberate handball when there's no such rule. I didn't realise till watching the highlights that he was on a yellow and not booked at all for the handball. That's a pretty astonishingly charitable interpretation from Gavin Duncan there.

I think the ball is out and it IS handball, but that's irrelevant. Ref gives a free kick so he's deemed it a deliberate handball. It's not a mandatory booking and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why he does it. Wighton's run past him and no other Dunfermline player is anywhere near it so he had time to get up and play it back into the box with  his foot. However, when it was so clearly deliberate it is a booking 99 times out of 100. The only reason he's not booked is he's already booked. His momentum carries him to the edge of the box but he lets it go as a result and then consciously pulls it back in. It's no wonder Dunfermline were incensed.

For what it's worth I think the red card / penalty is very harsh. Boy's knocked over and, in context, his hands aren't unnaturally placed and he's not done anything deliberately. I don't think that's a penalty. Once he gives the penalty for it though he also has to give a red card because he's deemed it deliberate and it's clearly a goalscoring opportunity. I suspect Gavin Duncan by that time realises he's got Josh Rae very wrong and is not in a charitable mood the next touch and go decision involving Airdrie and a potential red card.

Edited by Skyline Drifter