The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

3 hours ago, David Fernández said:

Does anyone know who this is? Team sheet on Saturday said it was Hutts wearing number 43. Is this our development team goalie or a trialist?

FB_IMG_1675182623677.jpg

FB_IMG_1675182640692.jpg

Prunts boy good young keeper maybe signed up with development team did hear he was on trial at hearts a couple of months ago aswell

3 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Prunts boy good young keeper maybe signed up with development team did hear he was on trial at hearts a couple of months ago aswell

I like to think he’s became a keeper because of his dad just relentlessly scoring past him, like Michael Owen against that 13 year old.

I see Josh Kerr has left Bohemians. I wonder if he has something else lined up as it seems to have come out of the blue. Talented player, I'd still rate him above all our centre-halves apart from Fordyce, but just never fit. We had him for 3(?) seasons and barely got a sustained run of games out of him let alone a full season, including the shortened ones. A shame Bohemians never worked out as I thought it was a good move for Kerr at the time. 

42 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

I see Josh Kerr has left Bohemians. I wonder if he has something else lined up as it seems to have come out of the blue. Talented player, I'd still rate him above all our centre-halves apart from Fordyce, but just never fit. We had him for 3(?) seasons and barely got a sustained run of games out of him let alone a full season, including the shortened ones. A shame Bohemians never worked out as I thought it was a good move for Kerr at the time. 

Actually wouldn't mind him back, but wasn't offered a deal close season so can't see why McCabe would offer him a deal now after a failed spell away.

I’d take Kerr back in a heartbeat and would never have got rid of him personally, as I always rated him. Not sure if he wasn’t offered a deal or chose to leave due to a lack of game time towards the end of his spell (remember he sat on the bench while McCabe played centre back ahead of him). He’s probably returning to Scotland but most likely not with us imo. Could turn out to be a very good signing for one of our League One rivals, can see him joining any of the full time teams in this division.

29 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I’d take Kerr back in a heartbeat and would never have got rid of him personally, as I always rated him. Not sure if he wasn’t offered a deal or chose to leave due to a lack of game time towards the end of his spell (remember he sat on the bench while McCabe played centre back ahead of him). He’s probably returning to Scotland but most likely not with us imo. Could turn out to be a very good signing for one of our League One rivals, can see him joining any of the full time teams in this division.

I like Josh Kerr he'd do very well in this current team.

Looking through his time at Bohemians he has only played 6 games for them, and his last game was in October. Unsure if that's related to performance or injuries.

It would be a massive gamble to re sign him given his injury record too.

Can't see us signing anyone on a free or a loan this month I think our squad is looking decent in terms of numbers now.

Edited by David Fernández

3 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I like Josh Kerr he'd do very well in this current team.

Looking through his time at Bohemians he has only played 6 games for them, and his last game was in October. Unsure if that's related to performance or injuries.

It would be a massive gamble to re sign him given his injury record too.

Can't see us signing anyone on a free or a loan this month I think our squad is looking decent in terms of numbers now.

Lachie's our man, 

I wouldn’t mind another forward. Don’t think Salim, Bright or Dixon will feature much at all or offer the necessary qualify if they do. If one of the current front three was to get injured we’d be fucked. I wonder if St Mirren signing Tony Watt might mean Jamieson comes back? Seems pointless him being at St Mirren if he’s going to be behind Watt, Ayunga, Main, Grieve and maybe Offord in the pecking order. 

12 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I wouldn’t mind another forward. Don’t think Salim, Bright or Dixon will feature much at all or offer the necessary qualify if they do. If one of the current front three was to get injured we’d be fucked. I wonder if St Mirren signing Tony Watt might mean Jamieson comes back? Seems pointless him being at St Mirren if he’s going to be behind Watt, Ayunga, Main, Grieve and maybe Offord in the pecking order. 

Never seen Dixon playing surely deserves a chance or all this waiting on the pen and adding players to strengthen squad goes out the window, 

15 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Ayunga does appear to be out for some time now with a bad injury, so maybe that will play a part. 

I think we'd all take Jamieson back for the rest of the season, very good member of the squad for the first half of season and unplayable at times, but that said, if the front three continue to play like they did on Saturday and all stay fit, he'd do well to get in ahead of any of them. 

On 02/02/2023 at 14:02, airdrieman said:

I always found it very hard to form an opinion on Kerr because it was so rare for him to play more than a few games in a row. The only time I remember him looking pretty good was the end of the season where we eventually lost to Morton in the play-offs. However, he was in a back 3 which gave him more protection. In a back 4 I've never been convinced and that, plus his injury record, means I wouldn't be interested.

It's interesting looking at our defence this season because the perception has been that we are pretty weak there, I've been saying that too. But we have the 3rd best defensive record in the league despite having had our 1st choice goalie injured and having to rely on sub-standard replacements. Not only that, 45% of our goals have been conceded to Edinburgh! Which is utterly insane after 23 games. For whatever reason we fall apart against them but against everyone else we are particularly stingy and lose well less than a goal a game. With Rae back (and only having to play Edinburgh once more!) hopefully we will be solid from now until the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I always found it very hard to form an opinion on Kerr because it was so rare for him to play more than a few games in a row. The only time I remember him looking pretty good was the end of the season where we eventually lost to Morton in the play-offs. However, he was in a back 3 which gave him more protection. In a back 4 I've never been convinced and that, plus his injury record, means I wouldn't be interested.

It's interesting looking at our defence this season because the perception has been that we are pretty weak there, I've been saying that too. But we have the 3rd best defensive record in the league despite having had our 1st choice goalie injured and having to rely on sub-standard replacements. Not only that, 45% of our goals have been conceded to Edinburgh! Which is utterly insane after 23 games. For whatever reason we fall apart against them but against everyone else we are particularly stingy and lose well less than a goal a game. With Rae back (and only having to play Edinburgh once more!) hopefully we will be solid from now until the end of the season.

I think this season it’s more that the goals we concede are generally very soft or dreadful mistakes. For all we’re very attacking teams very rarely cut us open and dominate games against us, it’s just most goals we concede are from leaving space just outside the box, not clearing our lines, Dean Lyness etc.

He had a couple of moments today (as did everyone so no blame there) but Fordyce has looked much better since Rae came in. I know I feel a lot less concerned when the ball goes anywhere near Rae than I did with Lyness, who caused my heart rate to spike every Saturday, so the defence must feel the same way too. If he can kick on and get back to the levels he’s been at over the last few seasons then we’ll be fine defensively. ATS has his faults but is generally solid enough and today had several interceptions through good positioning.