The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Well that will be a no then.

Granted we have a stronger bench, but disappointing that the transfer window is almost up and no new signings are starting today.

New signing's not good enough for start, bought to strengthen team not bench, time will tell, 

Gallagher, Telfer and Deveney all outstanding today. Probably the best game Fordyce has had this season as well, although there was a moment in the second half where he passed it directly to an Alloa forward. Easily forgotten when you have a comfortable lead and it doesn’t lead to a goal. Happy with that performance.

28 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Gallagher, Telfer and Deveney all outstanding today. Probably the best game Fordyce has had this season as well, although there was a moment in the second half where he passed it directly to an Alloa forward. Easily forgotten when you have a comfortable lead and it doesn’t lead to a goal. Happy with that performance.

Fordyce set the tone of the game, attacked the ball to open the scoring then a minute later was winning an header in his own box.

Yeah I’ve been critical of Fordyce this season but that’s two games in a row where he’s strolled it and has led the defence well. More of that please!

I posted on the match thread but that was just a joy to watch. I don’t hide my support of Gallagher but his overall game has improved so much this season and for me he’s undoubtedly the best striker in the league. The quick movement and link-up play between the forwards and midfield today was superb and Gallagher was key to most of that. 

This is probably the most frustrating Airdrie team I’ve ever seen. When we’re at our best I think we’re even better to watch than last season’s team but a team who can play that well shouldn’t have only picked up four points this month. It has felt like we’ve not been at the stadium much recently, the recent Edinburgh debacle and today are the first games there since the Peterhead/Kelty double header all the way back in November. Hopefully a few home games on the bounce will allow us to pick up some momentum and push up the table.

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Fordyce set the tone of the game, attacked the ball to open the scoring then a minute later was winning an header in his own box.

Aye what do I know, great result, played some really good stuff, arguably the best performance this season, Telfer looking more like a player now, 

That could easily have been 8 or 9-0 today but for Alloa keeper’s brilliance. A score of the order wouldn’t have flattered Airdrie in the least.

The most complete team performance witnessed this season and probably better than many of the good performances from last year.

Devenny, Gal, Smith, Dycey, Rhys and Frizz all outstanding but every player played their part in a fantastic team display. Telfer’s best game in an Airdrie shirt to date. 

Hopefully we can replicate that type of performance a few more times this season. Play like that on a consistent basis and play off qualification  would be a stick on.

C’mon the ♦️♦️♦️♦️♦️

Well that was fucking class. Easily the best performance of this season and, Montrose play-off tie aside, maybe the best performance of the last two seasons. As others have said, could easily have been 8, 9, 10 if not for some poor finishing and great goalkeeping by Hogarth. The whole team was outstanding. Gal well worthy of his two goals and MotM award. That might be him on 50 goals now? The linkup between the front three yesterday was superb and Gabby and Smith worked hard and deserved to score, and probably should have. Telfer was the best player on the park for me. Frizzell close to back to his best and McCabe's performance gave balance and allowed them both to play. Fordyce likewise close to back to his best. Like the Kelty game he won his headers and challenges and kept it simple. More of the same please! ATS strolled it and him and Fordyce kept Sammon and Donnelly quiet who can both be a handful. McGregor again looked like a threat and I'm excited to see more of him. Stanway and Devenny played their part. And enjoyed Big Byrd's cameo! He's raw and I don't think right-back is his natural position. But he kept things simple and won his fair share of headers and challenges. He at least looked and played like a footballer... Consistency has been an issue for us and, while we're not going to play like that every week, if we can or even get close to it we will beat everyone. I think 5 of our next 7 games at home so that's a tremendous opportunity to really cement a play-off place and build some momentum. 

Lastly, massive thank you to @CapitalDiamond for organising the Fitba Nomad Day. Despite missing the first goal 😂 it was a grand day out in three of Airdrie's finest pubs. Big thank you also to Scott at the West End, Gary at Cue Here (who also gave us food), the Albert and the stadium bar for their hospitality. That's two 4-0 wins on the two Fitba Nomad days. Same again for the play-off final? 

Great result yesterday and well deserved victory against a fairly decent Alloa side.

One player who sometimes receives a lot of criticism is Gabby McGill but yesterday showed us in my opinion why he is so important to the forward line. His constant energy and drive with the ability to draw players from Gal in particular was a big part of the victory. Like all players he will have his poor games, but for me he is one who is showing real improvement and a willingness to learn.

21 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I’ve been critical of Fordyce this season but that’s two games in a row where he’s strolled it and has led the defence well. More of that please!

I posted on the match thread but that was just a joy to watch. I don’t hide my support of Gallagher but his overall game has improved so much this season and for me he’s undoubtedly the best striker in the league. The quick movement and link-up play between the forwards and midfield today was superb and Gallagher was key to most of that. 

This is probably the most frustrating Airdrie team I’ve ever seen. When we’re at our best I think we’re even better to watch than last season’s team but a team who can play that well shouldn’t have only picked up four points this month. It has felt like we’ve not been at the stadium much recently, the recent Edinburgh debacle and today are the first games there since the Peterhead/Kelty double header all the way back in November. Hopefully a few home games on the bounce will allow us to pick up some momentum and push up the table.

Maybe it's to do with Fordyce playing Right Centre Half,  ATS who is unfairly slated by many on here was arguably our best defender again and his partnership with Fordyce has saw an upturn in form,   

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Maybe it's to do with Fordyce playing Right Centre Half,  ATS who is unfairly slated by many on here was arguably our best defender again and his partnership with Fordyce has saw an upturn in form,   

ATS had a decent performance but he was nowhere near the level of Fordyce or Deveney yesterday. I believe Rae is instilling a confidence that wasn't previously there.

On 29/01/2023 at 14:49, Kenny_m said:

A shout out to Josh Rae, granted not a lot to do yesterday but looks the part and is a massive upgrade on the previous custodian. 

A fit Josh Rae will be the best goalkeeper in this division probably, other than possibly Kevin Dabrawski who we've just signed on loan. He may be better but I'd need to see more of him.

Ross Sinclair at Montrose was good too but he's gone now.

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Alan Lithgow released from Morton, would yous have him back? I certainly wouldn't say no.

110% would have said yes a season or two ago but not now. Will no doubt turn up at East Kilbride or something like that.

Goes without saying but this month will be crucial for our play-off aspirations. We simply need to take 3 points from Clyde on Saturday, but Ím totally unsure what the target should be for the Dunfermline double header and then Falkirk. Would five points from the three games be realistic? Now we seem to have a settled team and with the worst of the injuries behind us I see no reason that we can’t push on to cement a play-off place.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Cant see it tbf would he take a wave drop one of Morton’s highest Earner and very injury prone 

Not exactly a fans favourite for obvious reasons and also nearly 35. He would fit the bill of the centre back type most were looking for but I get the impression that big Lachie is here to play and will get his chance sooner rather than later, perhaps Saturday.

50 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

110% would have said yes a season or two ago but not now. Will no doubt turn up at East Kilbride or something like that.

Goes without saying but this month will be crucial for our play-off aspirations. We simply need to take 3 points from Clyde on Saturday, but Ím totally unsure what the target should be for the Dunfermline double header and then Falkirk. Would five points from the three games be realistic? Now we seem to have a settled team and with the worst of the injuries behind us I see no reason that we can’t push on to cement a play-off place.

Should be aiming for at least 7 IMO. Which would really build a bit of momentum towards cementing a top 4 spot. If we play like we did on Saturday no reason why we won't get those 7 points. 

It will be interesting to see what McCabe does with the back 4 this weekend if Ballantyne is fully fit. You can't really argue for any of the starting XI being dropped after a performance like that but, for me, Ballantyne is a better player than Watson and has to play. Certainly in the Dunfermline double-header. Imagine if Ballantyne from the Edinburgh game had played on Saturday? I would keep Fordyce and ATS as the centre-half pairing but I think he will revert to Fordyce and Watson in the middle. 

Edited by airdrieman

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Should be aiming for at least 7 IMO. Which would really build a bit of momentum towards cementing a top 4 spot. If we play like we did on Saturday no reason why we won't get those 7 points. 

It will be interesting to see what McCabe does with the back 4 this weekend if Ballantyne is fully fit. You can't really argue for any of the starting XI being dropped after a performance like that but, for me, Ballantyne is a better player than Watson and has to play. Certainly in the Dunfermline double-header. Imagine if Ballantyne from the Edinburgh game had played on Saturday? I would keep Fordyce and ATS as the centre-half pairing but I think he will revert to Fordyce and Watson in the middle. 

For me the only change to the back four would be to drop Watson. His form has dipped recently and no doubt will return at some point. Getting Ballantyne in for the Clyde game will allow him match practice  before the Dunfermline games where Josh Edwards is probably the biggest threat. Fordyce and ATS in the center seems to work OK so don't see a need to change that.