The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

We might miss Jamieson but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are no more forward signings. Last year we had Gal, Smith, McGill, Salim, Allan and when Salim got injured we brought in Afolabi. Right now we have Gal, Smith, McGill, Salim plus Dixon and Bright and then a wide player in McGregor. Definitely could question the quality of the backup options but we’re not short of options and I think McGregor was probably Jamieson’s replacement if I’m honest. It’s unlikely that Bright or Dixon are close to Allan’s level and I’d rather have Afolabi than Salim right now but that’s just our current situation. 7 players for 3 forward positions.

I think the numbers in the squad are fine now and any more signings should be purely to add quality to the first team and could be in any position. We don’t need more options anywhere, but improving the team is always a bonus, so any signings should be players that can go straight into the first team and not just be a backup to what we already have. I don’t really expect any more signings if I’m honest except maybe a goalkeeper since we maybe don’t want to be a relying on Hutton as the backup to a guy that’s only just  returned from injury.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

We might miss Jamieson but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are no more forward signings. Last year we had Gal, Smith, McGill, Salim, Allan and when Salim got injured we brought in Afolabi. Right now we have Gal, Smith, McGill, Salim plus Dixon and Bright and then a wide player in McGregor. Definitely could question the quality of the backup options but we’re not short of options and I think McGregor was probably Jamieson’s replacement if I’m honest. It’s unlikely that Bright or Dixon are close to Allan’s level and I’d rather have Afolabi than Salim right now but that’s just our current situation. 7 players for 3 forward positions.

I think the numbers in the squad are fine now and any more signings should be purely to add quality to the first team and could be in any position. We don’t need more options anywhere, but improving the team is always a bonus, so any signings should be players that can go straight into the first team and not just be a backup to what we already have. I don’t really expect any more signings if I’m honest except maybe a goalkeeper since we maybe don’t want to be a relying on Hutton as the backup to a guy that’s only just  returned from injury.

Still got plenty of time to go can still bring in loans till end of February possibility that we might see another keeper in on loan who’ll just be for cover incase needed and another young striker from a premiership side also wouldn’t be too bad 

17 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Still got plenty of time to go can still bring in loans till end of February possibility that we might see another keeper in on loan who’ll just be for cover incase needed and another young striker from a premiership side also wouldn’t be too bad 

I'd go down the emergency loan route if Rae got injured, always plenty of keepers wanting some game time.

I've seen it mentioned a few times that loans are until end of February but is there anything official on that.

Regardless, end of Feb could be too late. Saturday's game is massive!

25 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Jordan Allan signs for Falkirk!

Can only hope that one doesn't bite us on the arse. I'd have kept him at Airdrie but it was pretty clear that the management team didn't fancy him, even as another option.

Unfortunately I think he may do quite well in Grangemouth.

I liked Allan fine but not convinced he’s good enough to lead the line for a team battling for promotion let alone play in the Championship. He did very well for a garbage Clyde team so he does deserve a move up the food chain on that basis but… I’m not convinced. Thought he was miles off it in any game against better opposition last season. And while I do like him the reaction on Twitter is way OTT. You’d think they’d signed peak Owen Coyle! 

At least that’s the narrative set for when it’s Falkirk’s turn to beat us in a play-off final 🤝 

6 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Can only hope that one doesn't bite us on the arse. I'd have kept him at Airdrie but it was pretty clear that the management team didn't fancy him, even as another option.

Unfortunately I think he may do quite well in Grangemouth.

He's a penalty box striker and really good finisher but got to plain a 2 up front to get the best out of him. He has some obvious limitations.

The reaction from some Airdrie fans are completely mental. Even in this current squad if Jordan Allan was to sign he'd still probably be on the bench behind Smith, McGill and Gallagher.

Can't fault his effort, he's pacey, works hard and puts himself about but not a starter for a team battling promotion/the league.

Playing as a lone striker in a Falkirk team, I'm not 100% convinced. I can't see him being there at the end of his contract.

I do think Archie Meekison is an excellent signing for them, one of my friends in work who's a Motherwell fan really rates him, think he scored for Dundee United against them, more worried about him playing against us.

Edited by David Fernández

Allan’s a player I wish we kept in hindsight but when he was released I wasn’t bothered about it whatsoever. Definitely not as good as Smith or Gallagher but would have been a good option off the bench. Fair play to Jordan though, it’s a great move for him getting to go full time and probably earn a good wage.

I wonder how many teams were in for Allan when he left Forfar. Ian Murray gave him a chance and that has seemingly burst a bit of life into the lad’s career. Quite chuffed for him.

Interesting Jordan Allan chat. Clearly he’s not been prolific throughout his career but has had a solid season in an utterly doomed Clyde team. In reality we score plenty of goals and have loads of chances, but struggle to score against the likes of yourselves, Dunfermline etc. 2 points from 4 games against both of those teams for example is not ideal and could easily come back to haunt us in a playoff game. 

I’m not an expert and to be honest don’t remember much about Allan apart from he scored against us, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he turned out to not be prolific.  Gary Oliver has probably had half a dozen chances in get the last few weeks and has scored 0. The hope would have to be that Allan is more clinical than Gary Oliver (which I don’t think will be hard), and can convert some of our draws into wins.

Yeah slight overreaction from Falkirk fans, agree with the comments above couldn't break into our starting 11 last year and even if he stayed still would be trying to break into it. Fairplay to Jordan had a good 1st half of the season with Clyde 2.5 year deal as well good move for him.

13 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I liked Allan fine but not convinced he’s good enough to lead the line for a team battling for promotion let alone play in the Championship. He did very well for a garbage Clyde team so he does deserve a move up the food chain on that basis but… I’m not convinced. Thought he was miles off it in any game against better opposition last season. And while I do like him the reaction on Twitter is way OTT. You’d think they’d signed peak Owen Coyle! 

At least that’s the narrative set for when it’s Falkirk’s turn to beat us in a play-off final 🤝 

Aye, have noticed before our players seem to be liked more after They have moved on, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Aye, have noticed before our players seem to be liked more after They have moved on, 

It's funny how folk are cracking up about Jordan Allan going to Clyde but when we had Mackay-Steven folk were saying he would never cut it at Dundee United. I remember I was up at the stadium for a college placement when he was there and he scored one of the best goals I've ever seen live in a reserve game.

3 hours ago, Just a bairn said:

Interesting Jordan Allan chat. Clearly he’s not been prolific throughout his career but has had a solid season in an utterly doomed Clyde team. In reality we score plenty of goals and have loads of chances, but struggle to score against the likes of yourselves, Dunfermline etc. 2 points from 4 games against both of those teams for example is not ideal and could easily come back to haunt us in a playoff game. 

I’m not an expert and to be honest don’t remember much about Allan apart from he scored against us, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if he turned out to not be prolific.  Gary Oliver has probably had half a dozen chances in get the last few weeks and has scored 0. The hope would have to be that Allan is more clinical than Gary Oliver (which I don’t think will be hard), and can convert some of our draws into wins.

I actually probably rate him better than I do Gary Oliver TBH. But your point about scoring against the teams around you and your promotion rivals is they key point I think. I haven't checked so it would be interesting to know how many, if any, he's scored against the likes of Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Falkirk etc this season? But it was in those sort of games last season where I think he was shown up as a lower-end League 1 striker. Struggled against Cove, Montrose, Thistle in the cup and, when him and Gabby McGill ended the play-off final as our front 2 we were never going to win it. 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Have noticed the same. Especially when it's somebody who comes through the youth system or has another connection with the club or town. Also think there not being a good Airdrie team for about 15-20 years until last season has warped people's perpsective. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I actually probably rate him better than I do Gary Oliver TBH. But your point about scoring against the teams around you and your promotion rivals is they key point I think. I haven't checked so it would be interesting to know how many, if any, he's scored against the likes of Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Falkirk etc this season? But it was in those sort of games last season where I think he was shown up as a lower-end League 1 striker. Struggled against Cove, Montrose, Thistle in the cup and, when him and Gabby McGill ended the play-off final as our front 2 we were never going to win it. 

Have noticed the same. Especially when it's somebody who comes through the youth system or has another connection with the club or town. Also think there not being a good Airdrie team for about 15-20 years until last season has warped people's perpsective. 

Yeah that Thistle game stands out for me, started over Gal for whatever reason and we couldn't create anything up top.

He only scored 3 goals for us last season and they came against Dumbarton East fife and Clyde.

Would be good to see a few of the new boys starting today. I missed the Kelty game a fortnight ago but it sounds like Stanway maybe deserves to keep his place in the team even with McCabe returning (extra man in the middle or maybe Telfer drops out?) and it would be good to get a look at Byrd and McGregor as well. I’d like to see at least one of those three start anyway.

On 27/01/2023 at 10:35, airdrieman said:

He scored two against us away to Clyde and was pretty impressive that day, he also got a double against Dunfermline I believe. He’s scored 10 so far this season but I’ve no idea where his other 6 goals came from. 

22 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would be good to see a few of the new boys starting today. I missed the Kelty game a fortnight ago but it sounds like Stanway maybe deserves to keep his place in the team even with McCabe returning (extra man in the middle or maybe Telfer drops out?) and it would be good to get a look at Byrd and McGregor as well. I’d like to see at least one of those three start anyway.

I know it's all hypothetical until 3 pm,   I also would like Stanway to get a run,  although dropping Telfer who has arguably been our best midfielder in the last 6 games or so wouldn't make sense,  if snowshoeing Stanway into the team then IMO a chunky looking Frizzell wwould drop out

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Well that will be a no then.

Granted we have a stronger bench, but disappointing that the transfer window is almost up and no new signings are starting today.