The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

45 minutes ago, Div said:

Didn't realise he had made that League Cup appearance for us, so assume he's back to shore up the bench same as Offord is. Expect maybe Olusanya might follow Brophy out on loan so it would be 2 out, 2 in.

Think the boy Dean McMaster is going to sign a permanent deal with Airdrie, but not sure if it's now or in the Summer.

McMaster been a really pointless signing so far for us, barely featured and when he has doesn't offer much. Hope it's not made permanent.

47 minutes ago, Div said:

Didn't realise he had made that League Cup appearance for us, so assume he's back to shore up the bench same as Offord is. Expect maybe Olusanya might follow Brophy out on loan so it would be 2 out, 2 in.

Think the boy Dean McMaster is going to sign a permanent deal with Airdrie, but not sure if it's now or in the Summer.

That’s two bits of bad news! In all seriousness, McMaster is fine, moves the ball well and keeps things tidy but I’m not sure he offers enough to go and sign him permanently.

Is Olusanya the boy who hit a shot in the League Cup game at Airdrie that went so far wide it ended up with the St. Mirren right back? I’d take Jamieson over him to be fair. 

23 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

McMaster been a really pointless signing so far for us, barely featured and when he has doesn't offer much. Hope it's not made permanent.

Couldn't agree more although injury hasn't helped. Reasonable defensively and seems to take no chances by passing the ball 5 yards most of the time and a bit of midfield sitter. Needs to do much more.

Edited by Kenny_m

There’s a place for neat and tidy midfielders in any squad. But whether we’re in the Championship or League 1 next season, McMaster is a player we could easily upgrade on. Would be pretty underwhelmed if we were to sign him permanently. 

46 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Is Olusanya the boy who hit a shot in the League Cup game at Airdrie that went so far wide it ended up with the St. Mirren right back? I’d take Jamieson over him to be fair. 

Yeah, he's hardly featured since, broke his foot shortly after that game and he's not long back.

He's away to Arbroath on loan.

Jamieson back to St Mirren confirmed. Don’t think we got the best out of him and leaves us quite short on quality off the bench if not quantity. Going to need to get a lot more out of Salim now and possibly Dixon and Bright. And even more of a reason to revert back to the front 2 so we can use Gabby’s impact off the bench. Unless someone else is coming in of course. 

Edited by airdrieman

38 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

There’s a place for neat and tidy midfielders in any squad. But whether we’re in the Championship or League 1 next season, McMaster is a player we could easily upgrade on. Would be pretty underwhelmed if we were to sign him permanently. 

He’s also far too lightweight. Gets brushed off the ball way too easily every game. You don’t have to be a strapping 6”+ to play in a deeper midfield role but you do have to be more robust. Not sure we really need to be signing our 6th choice midfielder loanee on a permanent deal. 

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Jamieson back to St Mirren confirmed. Don’t think we got the best out of him and leaves us quite short on quality off the bench if not quantity. Going to need to get a lot more out of Salim now and possibly Dixon and Bright. And even more of a reason to revert back to the front 2 so we can use Gabby’s impact off the bench. Unless someone else is coming in of course. 

Jamieson's best position was through the middle as a striker. (he was wasted out wide)

I wouldn't think Prince or Dixon would be in Rhys's plans to start games, granted that no one has really seen them play.

Even though Gabby can play there it seems to leave Gal & Sal as our only 2 out and out strikers with Sal not really a success at Stranraer and not looking capable of playing 90 mins.

Big trouble if Gal gets injured therefore yes, we could be doing with a striker.

12 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Jamieson's best position was through the middle as a striker. (he was wasted out wide)

I wouldn't think Prince or Dixon would be in Rhys's plans to start games, granted that no one has really seen them play.

Even though Gabby can play there it seems to leave Gal & Sal as our only 2 out and out strikers with Sal not really a success at Stranraer and not looking capable of playing 90 mins.

Big trouble if Gal gets injured therefore yes, we could be doing with a striker.

I'd say we need a LJ replacement but get the feeling that Lewis McGregor was it.

38 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

He’s also far too lightweight. Gets brushed off the ball way too easily every game. You don’t have to be a strapping 6”+ to play in a deeper midfield role but you do have to be more robust. Not sure we really need to be signing our 6th choice midfielder loanee on a permanent deal. 

A strapping 6 inches ????

Oooooh matron !!!

14 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Agreed, I think we’d all unanimously agree that Jamieson’s best game was when he was playing on the shoulder against Montrose, he was unstoppable that day. For whatever reason, McCabe never tried that again unfortunately. 

It goes back to what we were saying a few pages ago but on Saturday I’d go with something like this, assuming Ballantyne is fit, if not add ATS or big Byrd in and shuffle Watson across. I think Alloa are normally quite narrow anyway and we should have enough width with the full-backs bombing forward, knowing McCabe can drop back in to cover if needed. You’ve them got McGill or McGregor to come on to add something different if the shape isn’t working.

Rae
Ballantyne - Watson - Fordyce - Deveney
McCabe
Telfer - Frizzell - Stanway
Gallagher - Smith

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agreed, I think we’d all unanimously agree that Jamieson’s best game was when he was playing on the shoulder against Montrose, he was unstoppable that day. For whatever reason, McCabe never tried that again unfortunately. 

It goes back to what we were saying a few pages ago but on Saturday I’d go with something like this, assuming Ballantyne is fit, if not add ATS or big Byrd in and shuffle Watson across. I think Alloa are normally quite narrow anyway and we should have enough width with the full-backs bombing forward, knowing McCabe can drop back in to cover if needed. You’ve them got McGill or McGregor to come on to add something different if the shape isn’t working.

Rae
Ballantyne - Watson - Fordyce - Deveney
McCabe
Telfer - Frizzell - Stanway
Gallagher - Smith

I note that you and virtually everyone else, including me don't consider Justin Devenny as a starter these days. Hopefully he can get back to his early season form as he is talented and has the physical attributes to be a real player.

4 hours ago, Div said:

I've heard the same, that LJ has been recalled by St.Mirren.

Not sure if that is to compete for some first team action or, as seems more likely, he may be off somewhere else permanently.

That's it been officially confirmed and it would be tragic for the laddie if he's just back to warm a seat in the dugout.

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Disagree with this. McMaster looked fine when starting matches which took a while after his injury. The game's Vs Dundee and Kelty/Falkirk either side of the cup game he didn't do anything wrong at all but he is the first to be dropped when the manager wants to change formation or line up. That doesn't do any good at his age when he's needing a run of games.

8 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I note that you and virtually everyone else, including me don't consider Justin Devenny as a starter these days. Hopefully he can get back to his early season form as he is talented and has the physical attributes to be a real player.

I actually think he’d be really well suited to one of the wider roles in a diamond, as you say he’s got the energy and physicality to get up and down the park and we’ve seen enough to know he can be a good player too. Him scoring in each of the first three games seems like a long time ago now. I think he was a victim of being overplayed at the start with the small squad and has struggled to regain his place since Telfer came in. With Frizzell back fit and Stanway looking promising he’s probably 5th/6th choice now along with McMaster but I do like him and think he’s a player worth persevering with.

5 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

That's it been officially confirmed and it would be tragic for the laddie if he's just back to warm a seat in the dugout.

Disagree with this. McMaster looked fine when starting matches which took a while after his injury. The game's Vs Dundee and Kelty/Falkirk either side of the cup game he didn't do anything wrong at all but he is the first to be dropped when the manager wants to change formation or line up. That doesn't do any good at his age when he's needing a run of games.

He's never had a howler of a game no, but I haven't walked out of a game and thought Mcmaster played really well. As Kenny M said earlier he gets the ball and its 5 yard back or side pass, offers nothing.

Don't think for a minute that Jamieson going back will be as big a blow to us as Allegria going back to Rangers will be to Falkirk.

As for Mcmaster I believe there is a fair bit of talent there but I felt that his commitment shaded a bit when he was injured early on. We only have to look at Stanway and his presence in one game to realise that Dean won't see too many starts this season.

41 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Bit like Jamieson, left out or on bench, a few starts I think we would of had a player, certainly better than 2 or 3  strikers we have, 

Agree with the posters who said we didn't get the best out of LJ. Clyde fans did tell us when he signed that he's much better when he's played through the middle. It's a shame he was wasted out wide so much.

McCabe said in one of his interviews that Dean McMaster reminds him of a 'young me' so the manager clearly rates him, so the rumours about him signing permanently with us wouldn't surprise me.

I really hope LJ gets a chance at St Mirren and isn't recalled just to sit on the bench. 

Hopefully the pen makes an appearance soon. Been a quiet window for a lot of teams so expect a bit of movement in the next coming days.

Edited by David Fernández

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Obviously last season we got by with Gal and Smith as the front 2 plus Gabby as the backup. So it’s not impossible. But Gabby is inconsistent and picks up injuries and, like Jamieson, playing him out wide every week doesn’t get the best out of him either. Would be great if Salim started producing but I’m not convinced and I can’t see Dixon or Bright getting involved at all based on them not featuring once so far. So another forward definitely wouldn’t go amiss. 

Agreed on Devenny too. I actually still think we’re maybe a better team when he’s in it. He’s a good passer, his corners are decent (better than Telfer’s IMO and we must have scored a fair amount from them?) and he’s more robust than probably all of our other midfielders. But hard to argue that McCabe, Telfer, Stanway and Frizzell aren’t ahead of him at the moment. Hope he continues to feature and make an impact though even if just off the bench like against Peterhead. 

5 hours ago, dextermorgan said:

Don't think for a minute that Jamieson going back will be as big a blow to us as Allegria going back to Rangers will be to Falkirk.

As for Mcmaster I believe there is a fair bit of talent there but I felt that his commitment shaded a bit when he was injured early on. We only have to look at Stanway and his presence in one game to realise that Dean won't see too many starts this season.

I'm hoping that your tongue was firmly implanted in your cheek regards Alegria. He was utter gash.

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
You're/your predictive typo