The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

10 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Snap as that's my support history as well.  I think he went on to better things at Third Lanark? It's great fun to chat about how we'd like the team to play. 

Aye, Fraser was the keeper think he went to Sunderland, 

Probably for the best for all parties. Takes him out the first team picture which he looked nowhere near ready for and he can get game time at what’s a decent enough level. Albeit Dalbeattie are fucking rubbish and get humped practically every week. Couple of ex diamonds there in David Cox, who they also recently signed, and Bryan Gilfillan who’s the assistant manager. 

Edited by airdrieman

On 18/01/2023 at 10:36, moses1924 said:

Not sure anyone thinks they will to be honest, discussing possible tactics etc is surely part of the "fun" of football, otherwise what is there to talk about?

This was not a criticism of people having opinions, more of a fact that your thoughts will not be acted upon by the people making decisions at the club. 

22 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Somebody on another thread said they'd found me as the oldest poster on P/B so I was happy to see Rio 2. You'd have loved the years before Kenny Black and since he got  as much advice on the old Stomp it might have helped us win that play off, if he'd listened.

Welcome to the Diamond experience.

I also began my support during the Steel years, so you should also have witnessed the elegant skills of the "Wee Prime Minister"

And Kenny Black was focused on stopping crosses.

1 hour ago, Rio 2 said:

This was not a criticism of people having opinions, more of a fact that your thoughts will not be acted upon by the people making decisions at the club. 

I’d be much more concerned if McCabe and Fordyce were spending their time reading this thread and deciding the team based on whatever nonsense we’re talking about.

On 19/01/2023 at 00:55, Diamond10 said:

Perhaps being overly pessimistic but genuinely worrying we wont make the top 4. It seems to be a case just now of one step forward one step back.

The game at Kelty (albeit played in extremely poor conditions) was a game at 1-0 we should’ve been able to go on and even if not score more but control out but instead we were lucky to hold on for the point.  Even at that the management/ players coming out saying “it’s a good point” Kelty are a good side but a team we should be looking to beat if we have any aspirations at all.

Even at 1-1 I’d have rather chucked on Sal etc and lost going for the win. 

With our game in hand being Dunfermline the Alloa game feels like a must win for me we need to get into the top 4 and stay there this time.

I hope Rhys gives a few of the new boys a chance most have the team have been ok this season but certainly no where near the hights/ levels we were hitting last season.

Completely agree on your points RE the Kelty game and the Alloa game being a must win. I was happy enough to take the point in the end with how the game was playing out. But it's a poor result given that if we'd won we'd (I assume) still be in the top 4 and put a bit of distance between Kelty and ourselves in 4th. The most frustrating thing is with better game management we could have won it. I think the players and management said it was a good point given the conditions. But it was the same for every other team and all the teams around us (apart from Edinburgh) managed to win. Falkirk and Dunfermline beat Peterhead and Clyde which is as close to a gimme as you'll get in this league. But Alloa beat the aforementioned Edinburgh, and Montrose beat QoS - two teams we haven't beaten once in 5 attempts this season. 

Like yourself, the Alloa game is a must win for me. If we lose we'll be 5(?) points off 4th. That's not insurmountable but, as we know with Cove with last season, it would put Alloa in a pretty good position. Thankfully our home form has been excellent this season. We've only lost to Edinburgh at home and luckily don't have to play them again at home in the league 😂 This obviously comes with the caveat that we haven't played Dunfermline at home yet. But if we keep up that record, and pick up enough points away, we should be okay for the top 4. Next three home games are Alloa, Clyde and Falkirk. Need and should be looking to take 9/9 from that. Even with having to play Dunfermline twice we should be looking to take maximum points from all our remaining home games IMO. 

Edited by airdrieman

14 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Probably for the best for all parties. Takes him out the first team picture which he looked nowhere near ready for and he can get game time at what’s a decent enough level. Albeit Dalbeattie are fucking rubbish and get humped practically every week. Couple of ex diamonds there in David Cox, who they also recently signed, and Bryan Gilfillan who’s the assistant manager. 

Was in front of Dixon in pecking order as I was told, what are we signing, 

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

I’d be much more concerned if McCabe and Fordyce were spending their time reading this thread and deciding the team based on whatever nonsense we’re talking about.

I'm concerned that McCabe and Fordyce keep playing same formation that cannot defend, manager keeps talking to the lads still they keep leaking goals, 

Heard St Mirren manager on radio stating they had no money to bring in any players in this window and it was more likely that some may leave. I would therefore imagine that the LJ situation won't be resolved until the final days of the window.

24 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Was in front of Dixon in pecking order as I was told, what are we signing, 

I'm concerned that McCabe and Fordyce keep playing same formation that cannot defend, manager keeps talking to the lads still they keep leaking goals, 

How can a right back be in front of a striker in the pecking order?

On 15/01/2023 at 15:15, airdrieman said:

Behind Jay Riley in the pecking order now 😕😂 I’d probably rather see Dixon at right-back than Riley again… He’ll have been a cheap punt so I can see why they’ve taken a chance on him. But we’re probably as well sending him out on loan and seeing if he’s got anything about him. 

I think @airdrieman started this with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Edited by Kenny_m

2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

How can a right back be in front of a striker in the pecking order?

You tell me,  means any player can play out of position, sounds familiar though, noticed Kelty signed striker who is big scorer in juniors, apparently we don't need a striker, we may be 3rd top goal scorers in league, and have a few player's that play as forwards, but a good striker is always needed, 

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

You tell me,  means any player can play out of position, sounds familiar though, noticed Kelty signed striker who is big scorer in juniors, apparently we don't need a striker, we may be 3rd top goal scorers in league, and have a few player's that play as forwards, but a good striker is always needed, 

They immediately loaned him back to the same side, so they clearly don't think they need him this season, either. 

17 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

I also began my support during the Steel years, so you should also have witnessed the elegant skills of the "Wee Prime Minister"

And Kenny Black was focused on stopping crosses.

Aye  Kenny Black did he not score the free kick that was given for a pass back in semi final, 

6 hours ago, Mr November said:

For the Alloa game? It’s on the 28th, unless I’m missing something we don’t have a game tomorrow.

Cheers mate.   Own goal from me there.    Changed work schedule at start of the year.  Forgot about Scottish cup weekends.   🤣