The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

To all the would be managers, tacticians, who offer advice to the current management team, don't waste your time and energy advising team formations and tactics.

None of your advice will be adopted, and the manager and assistant will have the final say on all decisions.

As a long time supporter, who was fortunate enough to see Ian McMillan play for us, I support the team (good or bad) and will continue to do so for as long as it takes.

I have been lucky enough to see us in three Scottish cup finals and have been around long enough to know that the supporters opinions won't change the direction of the club. However I still hope that we can get out of this fkn league, and get back to a position which our support desires, although I feel that the dizzy heights of the 90s under Alex McD will never be attained again (although I live in hope) 

I have been fortunate enough to watch some fantastic players, playing in the diamond (to many to mention) and the face of the game has changed so much, that you are lucky if you can get a player on a one year deal, whereas the Jonquins and Martin's of this world are nowhere to be seen.

P.S. 

As an old f@cker, could we change the anthem to Jeff Beck's "High Ho Silver Lining" (See Wolverhampton) and adapt it to Hi Ho Airdrie-oh-nay-ans. Rant over.

24 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

To all the would be managers, tacticians, who offer advice to the current management team, don't waste your time and energy advising team formations and tactics.

None of your advice will be adopted

Rant over

I know! How dare we talk about football on a...checks notes...football forum...

Also FYI "rant over" is the intellectual property of a very specific type of fat, moany woman on Facebook. They may well sue, or at least ask to speak to your supervisor. 

50 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

None of your advice will be adopted, and the manager and assistant will have the final say on all decisions.

As a long time supporter, who was fortunate enough to see Ian McMillan play for us, I support the team (good or bad) and will continue to do so for as long as it takes.

I have been lucky enough to see us in three Scottish cup finals and have been around long enough to know that the supporters opinions won't change the direction of the club. However I still hope that we can get out of this fkn league, and get back to a position which our support desires, although I feel that the dizzy heights of the 90s under Alex McD will never be attained again (although I live in hope) 

I have been fortunate enough to watch some fantastic players, playing in the diamond (to many to mention) and the face of the game has changed so much, that you are lucky if you can get a player on a one year deal, whereas the Jonquins and Martin's of this world are nowhere to be seen.

P.S. 

As an old f@cker, could we change the anthem to Jeff Beck's "High Ho Silver Lining" (See Wolverhampton) and adapt it to Hi Ho Airdrie-oh-nay-ans. Rant over.

Willie Steel was manager when I stared supporting, so another old f@cker 👌👌

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

I know! How dare we talk about football on a...checks notes...football forum...

Also FYI "rant over" is the intellectual property of a very specific type of fat, moany woman on Facebook. They may well sue, or at least ask to speak to your supervisor. 

Why did you have to check notes?

43 minutes ago, Rio 2 said:

Why did you have to check notes?

Just because I'm so uncertain of things Karen...

Just like who would be best as the Makalele type figure anchoring a midfield diamond if the Gaffer was injured and we weren't going a narrow 4-1-2-1-2...

Edited by cb_diamond

9 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Just because I'm so uncertain of things Karen...

Just like who would be best as the Makalele type figure anchoring a midfield diamond if the Gaffer was injured and we weren't going a narrow 4-1-2-1-2...

Stick to your online games, you might be more successful there.

13 hours ago, Rio 2 said:

Not sure anyone thinks they will to be honest, discussing possible tactics etc is surely part of the "fun" of football, otherwise what is there to talk about?

the face of the game has changed so much, that you are lucky if you can get a player on a one year deal, whereas the Jonquins and Martin's of this world are nowhere to be seen.

you're right about that, makes you wonder who the longest serving player of the current team will be and how long they will be here

the dizzy heights of the 90s under Alex McD will never be attained again

I also agree with this, unless we get someone wit serious money in, one thing recent years have shown is that where there is investment you can go from league 2 or even below that and rise very quickly to a point at which you are chalenging for the top leage etc (Cove, Queens Park etc), Arbroath are the only team I can think of who have done it without a backer of some kind.

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Snap as that's my support history as well.  I think he went on to better things at Third Lanark? It's great fun to chat about how we'd like the team to play. 

My support history is Kenny Black onwards, some laugh….

Although my first game was when Ian McCall was the manager, and I went to the odd game when Sandy Stewart was in charge. But started going every week during the 08/09 season. 

Just now, GoalForAirdrie said:

My support history is Kenny Black onwards, some laugh….

Although my first game was when Ian McCall was the manager, and I went to the odd game when Sandy Stewart was in charge. But started going every week during the 08/09 season. 

Somebody on another thread said they'd found me as the oldest poster on P/B so I was happy to see Rio 2. You'd have loved the years before Kenny Black and since he got  as much advice on the old Stomp it might have helped us win that play off, if he'd listened.

Welcome to the Diamond experience.

Perhaps being overly pessimistic but genuinely worrying we wont make the top 4. It seems to be a case just now of one step forward one step back.

The game at Kelty (albeit played in extremely poor conditions) was a game at 1-0 we should’ve been able to go on and even if not score more but control out but instead we were lucky to hold on for the point.  Even at that the management/ players coming out saying “it’s a good point” Kelty are a good side but a team we should be looking to beat if we have any aspirations at all.

Even at 1-1 I’d have rather chucked on Sal etc and lost going for the win. 

With our game in hand being Dunfermline the Alloa game feels like a must win for me we need to get into the top 4 and stay there this time.

I hope Rhys gives a few of the new boys a chance most have the team have been ok this season but certainly no where near the hights/ levels we were hitting last season.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Snap as that's my support history as well.  I think he went on to better things at Third Lanark? It's great fun to chat about how we'd like the team to play. 

Talking of managers Ally MacLeod was Airdrie manager w hen I first went up the steps of dear old Broomfield..

4 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Perhaps being overly pessimistic but genuinely worrying we wont make the top 4. It seems to be a case just now of one step forward one step back.

The game at Kelty (albeit played in extremely poor conditions) was a game at 1-0 we should’ve been able to go on and even if not score more but control out but instead we were lucky to hold on for the point.  Even at that the management/ players coming out saying “it’s a good point” Kelty are a good side but a team we should be looking to beat if we have any aspirations at all.

Even at 1-1 I’d have rather chucked on Sal etc and lost going for the win. 

With our game in hand being Dunfermline the Alloa game feels like a must win for me we need to get into the top 4 and stay there this time.

I hope Rhys gives a few of the new boys a chance most have the team have been ok this season but certainly no where near the hights/ levels we were hitting last season.

It's certainly going to be a dogfight for the playoffs,  Edinburgh I think will be dragged into playoff battle,    pi c k any 2 from Edinburgh,  Alloa, ourselves,  Montrose and QOS,     we have a chance next 2 games must be 6 points though ..

we still have 2  loans available,  will we get them....... d o we need them now.....

I think a backup keeper and we will be fine squad wise....

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

It's certainly going to be a dogfight for the playoffs,  Edinburgh I think will be dragged into playoff battle,    pi c k any 2 from Edinburgh,  Alloa, ourselves,  Montrose and QOS,     we have a chance next 2 games must be 6 points though ..

Not including Kelty?

we still have 2  loans available,  will we get them....... d o we need them now....

Absolutely but only if they walk straight into the starting 11.

I think a backup keeper and we will be fine squad wise....

Hutton as sub goalie and big Muzz on emergency loan if Rae gets injured.