The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Dixon not on bench was he not available, no doubt a friendly for next week give young lads a run. 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

He's unlikely to feature, described as one for the longer term!

Behind Jay Riley in the pecking order now 😕😂 I’d probably rather see Dixon at right-back than Riley again… He’ll have been a cheap punt so I can see why they’ve taken a chance on him. But we’re probably as well sending him out on loan and seeing if he’s got anything about him. 

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Behind Jay Riley in the pecking order now 😕😂 I’d probably rather see Dixon at right-back than Riley again… He’ll have been a cheap punt so I can see why they’ve taken a chance on him. But we’re probably as well sending him out on loan and seeing if he’s got anything about him. 

Obviously, someone thinks we can make money off him and a loan is a possibility but perhaps that depends on further squad movements.

Seen mention of Smith and Frizzell attracting interest elsewhere, you just never know. 

24 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Obviously, someone thinks we can make money off him and a loan is a possibility but perhaps that depends on further squad movements.

Seen mention of Smith and Frizzell attracting interest elsewhere, you just never know. 

Behind Jay Riley no very promising then, 

3 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I really like Gabby McGill but he's not suited in a 4-3-3 playing wide right. He's really good at coming off the bench and making an impact in a game.

The only way I'd start McGill if he's played through the middle. If we're going to play 4-3-3 I'd rather see LJ or McGregor played out wide.

I agree, or if we're away to a much superior side and we need someone out there to do a shift, rather than actually contribute any attacking quality. But that's not really any games in League 1. McGill is chaotic, which as you say is good when you want an impact off the bench, it's not so great when you want to build a coherent team.

6 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I really like Gabby McGill but he's not suited in a 4-3-3 playing wide right. He's really good at coming off the bench and making an impact in a game.

The only way I'd start McGill if he's played through the middle. If we're going to play 4-3-3 I'd rather see LJ or McGregor played out wide.

I wonder if Frizzell out right could be an option? I like the look of Stanway and he gives us some energy in the middle, a midfield 3 of Telfer, McCabe and Stanway could work and might make us a bit harder to get through. It would allow Frizzell to cut in off the right to link up and still be a goal threat. His goal yesterday effectively came from that position.

Not totally sure about it but could be a possibility in tougher games where we need to be more compact. We at least have some options now which makes a change!

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I wonder if Frizzell out right could be an option? I like the look of Stanway and he gives us some energy in the middle, a midfield 3 of Telfer, McCabe and Stanway could work and might make us a bit harder to get through. It would allow Frizzell to cut in off the right to link up and still be a goal threat. His goal yesterday effectively came from that position.

Not totally sure about it but could be a possibility in tougher games where we need to be more compact. We at least have some options now which makes a change!

I think a diamond could work, I like Frizzell when he picks the ball up in the centre as a number 10. We missed him badly when he was out. I think he'd be less effective out wide. A lot of our good play comes from one touch passing and one two's in the middle of the park.

A midfield 4 of Telfer, Stanway, McCabe and Frizzell would make us a lot less open in midfield as well and still creative going forward. Gal and Smithy up top would still get us goals.

I'm undecided at what formation or players would work best for this team but I don't think we should be stubborn and go with a 433 all the time.

I thought Stanway did a similar job yesterday to what Frizzell did last season. Put himself about, linked play, plenty of energy to get up and down the park and had a few bits of quality going forward too. While he does put in more of a shift than I expected, Telfer isn’t really that kind of player and with Frizzell now in the more advanced creative role, having a runner like Stanway in there could make a big difference. 

Like @David Fernández, I was thinking about a diamond as well. It worked well for that spell last season until McInroy left and while Telfer doesn’t have the mobility Frizzell or McInroy have, it could be worth a go with Devenny as option for one of the wider roles too. McGregor had a couple of nice touches yesterday too so I’m keen to see more of him out wide too. It is nice to finally be able to have three or four different options.

I think Frizzell played out wide a lot at Dumbarton and struggled, though that may just have been him not suiting Duffyball. @Jan Vojáček might know best about that.

20 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I thought Stanway did a similar job yesterday to what Frizzell did last season. Put himself about, linked play, plenty of energy to get up and down the park and had a few bits of quality going forward too. While he does put in more of a shift than I expected, Telfer isn’t really that kind of player and with Frizzell now in the more advanced creative role, having a runner like Stanway in there could make a big difference. 

Like @David Fernández, I was thinking about a diamond as well. It worked well for that spell last season until McInroy left and while Telfer doesn’t have the mobility Frizzell or McInroy have, it could be worth a go with Devenny as option for one of the wider roles too. McGregor had a couple of nice touches yesterday too so I’m keen to see more of him out wide too. It is nice to finally be able to have three or four different options.

I think Frizzell played out wide a lot at Dumbarton and struggled, though that may just have been him not suiting Duffyball. @Jan Vojáček might know best about that.

Could always go back narrow and go 41212 Gall and smith uptop Frizz in behind and telfer Stanway McCabe midfield 3

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yup, you'd be bang on. We played him almost exclusively as a winger and he looked, well, like a League One winger. Capable of the odd moment of magic, but prone to having games passing him by.

From what I saw of him live last season, and based on your highlights this year, he looks like an absolute revelation in central midfield. You can add him to the huge pile of players Sons have failed to get the best out of in recent years; a pile which includes Kevin Nisbet :(

Frizzell out wide isn’t the answer, 41212 might be. Our best performance this season (4-0 at home to Montrose) we played that formation with Smith playing more of a midfield role than a forward one. Playing centrally allowed Jamieson to cause problems (and score a hat trick) and the extra man in the middle seemed to help too. Not sure why McCabe immediately reverted to 433 in the next game and has stuck to it since.

The obvious thing to do just now would be to play Smith and Gallagher up top and have Stanway join that midfield of McCabe, Telfer and Frizzell, but it could also be an extra forward with Smith dropping into midfield.

Worth mentioning that using 41212 basically renders McGregor useless, which isn’t a good thing when he’s a new signing and is supposed to be a promising talent. I also think Smith’s at his best playing on the left wing so that’s two arguments for 433.

Being able to even have these conversations makes some difference on the start of the season when we basically had a starting 11 and nobody else.

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Yup, you'd be bang on. We played him almost exclusively as a winger and he looked, well, like a League One winger. Capable of the odd moment of magic, but prone to having games passing him by.

From what I saw of him live last season, and based on your highlights this year, he looks like an absolute revelation in central midfield. You can add him to the huge pile of players Sons have failed to get the best out of in recent years; a pile which includes Kevin Nisbet :(

This is exactly what I remember at the time of signing him, and I'm 99% sure it was you I remember saying it! IMO, Ian Murray moving Frizzell into a central role was his best decision in his time managing us.  We were all expecting a sand dancing winger who'd have 3 or 4 good games a year and possibly bob about this level between now and retirement, (IMO anyway, seen it all too often).  Fair play to him though, safe to say he's the first name on the team sheet when fit now.  Very surprised if hes with us next year, especially if we don't get promotion.

35 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

This is exactly what I remember at the time of signing him, and I'm 99% sure it was you I remember saying it! IMO, Ian Murray moving Frizzell into a central role was his best decision in his time managing us.  We were all expecting a sand dancing winger who'd have 3 or 4 good games a year and possibly bob about this level between now and retirement, (IMO anyway, seen it all too often).  Fair play to him though, safe to say he's the first name on the team sheet when fit now.  Very surprised if hes with us next year, especially if we don't get promotion.

Mentioned on the Falkirk forum by some that they're showing an interest in him.

40 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Of the three Dumbarton signings, I wasn’t bothered at all about signing Frizzell at the time for the reasons you mention, whereas I thought Quitongo seemed fine and was happy to see us sign Wardrop :lol: 

57 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

When we made the 3 Dumbarton signings I got the fear we'd sign Jaime Wilson as well.

Mental to think Sam Wardrop retired from football to make Tik Tok videos 😄

I'd imagine he'll be doing coaching or whatever on top of that, he seemed like a nice enough guy but he was absolutely dreadful at right back.

Very funny looking back at the team that beat Motherwell at the start of last season. Wardrop, Quitongo, Salim and McDonald all started and even Dean Ritchie came on as a sub, with no Easton or Frizzell at all!

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Mentioned on the Falkirk forum by some that they're showing an interest in him.

I'd imagine they'll need to be in the Championship to get his signature, can see him going to Raith, or even Queens Park next season tbh.

Would love him to try his hand down south at a Forest Green or a Fleetwood or something similar.