The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

As Col said - mcgregor is a good player.  If given a chance he will do well for you.  I’m very sorry to see him go but I don’t think he was happy to be on the bench for us or go out on loan.  I wish him all the best (until such time as he faces us!)

35 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Maybe not something I’d have considered a priority but good to get a natural winger in. At very least it’s starting to look like we’ll have plenty of attacking options off the bench.

McGill s position has been needing competition,  this signing gives us different options in this area,   as stated previously McGill is technically all over the place,  and really better as an impact sub,    Team is slowly getting there, we must keep our core together tbough....

We’ve been needing a proper winger the entire season so hopefully McGregor fills that role. I’d rather have him there than Gabby, or even Jamieson who’s wasted out there, and hopefully we see him from the start on Saturday. The Morton fans on here and on Twitter seem almost universally disappointed to see him go so hopefully that’s a reason to be optimistic. At the very least a proper winger can make a good impact sub which is another thing we’ve lacked for most of this season. 

Edited by airdrieman

On 02/01/2023 at 09:32, Skyline Drifter said:

Its been pointed out before but Lewis Jamieson has played for St Mirren this season. He cant play for a 3rd team. He goes back and stays at St Mirren or he stays at Airdrie, those are the only options.

Hoping @Skyline Driftercan answer this too regards Lyness. As far as I'm aware he was only an unused GK sub for St Mirren in a cup competition at the beginning of the season so given his release from us can he sign/play for anyone else now that we've released him? 

36 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Hoping @Skyline Driftercan answer this too regards Lyness. As far as I'm aware he was only an unused GK sub for St Mirren in a cup competition at the beginning of the season so given his release from us can he sign/play for anyone else now that we've released him? 

If he didnt get on the pitch it doesnt count. You can only PLAY for 2 clubs in one season. A single minute counts though.  I remember we tried to sign Declan McManus a few years ago and couldnt. He had dpent 1st half of season on loan at Morton but had played 1 minute of a European game for Aberdeen before he went on loan. That was the end of that. He had to stay at Morton for the season.

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If he didnt get on the pitch it doesnt count. You can only PLAY for 2 clubs in one season. A single minute counts though.  I remember we tried to sign Declan McManus a few years ago and couldnt. He had dpent 1st half of season on loan at Morton but had played 1 minute of a European game for Aberdeen before he went on loan. That was the end of that. He had to stay at Morton for the season.

As always, thanks for the response and info. 

Notice from the Facebook page (from a well known airdrie man) that we will  be signing a some more players and that the club needs to "develop young sellable players".  I get that but incredibly difficult to do at League 1 level, promotion would be the priority to me.

On 11/01/2023 at 09:18, Skyline Drifter said:

Thanks for keeping us right about signing rules etc..

Can you answer this scenario, We will say Lewis Jamieson for talking sake who has played for St Mirre n and Airdrie this season and is the property of St Mirre n who then decide to mutually terminate his contract ( hypothetical situation) would he then be free to sign for another club this window, or does the 2 club rule still kick in for a now free agent........

40 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Thanks for keeping us right about signing rules etc..

Can you answer this scenario, We will say Lewis Jamieson for talking sake who has played for St Mirre n and Airdrie this season and is the property of St Mirre n who then decide to mutually terminate his contract ( hypothetical situation) would he then be free to sign for another club this window, or does the 2 club rule still kick in for a now free agent........

Still kicks in. Whether he is a free agent is irrelevant. He cant play for anyone at SPFL level this season other than Airdrie or St Mirren.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Notice from the Facebook page (from a well known airdrie man) that we will  be signing a some more players and that the club needs to "develop young sellable players".  I get that but incredibly difficult to do at League 1 level, promotion would be the priority to me.

Agreed. Getting out of League 1 by putting the best team possible on the park has to be the priority. Do your long-term planning once you’re in the Championship. It’s a better league for developing and selling young players anyway. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Agreed. Getting out of League 1 by putting the best team possible on the park has to be the priority. Do your long-term planning once you’re in the Championship. It’s a better league for developing and selling young players anyway. 

Agreed, very difficult to convince anyone to pay a substantial fee at our level.

16 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

His Dad? Would be some interview. Can you tell us a bit about your son please Prince Kelly?

*press record and sit back for an hour*

Or two, nothing better than listening to a man going on about how good his son is, heard that at our ground not to long ago,