The Official Airdrieonians Thread - 2019/20 and beyond

8 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

I rate ATS. I certainly wouldn’t say he’s the big physically dominant centre half I’d like to see (despite his height) but he’s hardly out a foot wrong in his few run outs. Nothing spectacular, but a steady defender that I’d like to see start more often.

As for rumours of Telfer leaving, I’d be surprised if he got a move to the Championship. He’s grown on me a bit recently after I initially wasn’t very impressed, but I don’t think he’s good enough for that step up. Does that mean I think Airdrie wouldn’t miss him? Absolutely not. If Telfer left Frizzell and McCabe would be our only midfielders that aren’t teenagers. I’d hope he was staying until the end of the season but if not we’d need to get the type of quality replacement that might not be available mid-season.

It's probably more important Frizzell gets back to form and fitness as his last 2 performances have been terrible.

10 hours ago, Mr November said:

I'm also an ATS truther. Admittedly I went in with low expectations but he's been absolutely fine in most games he's played and while it's a smaller sample size, hasn't made the same kind of calamitous mistakes that Watson, Fordyce, Ballantyne etc have. At the least he's had a better season than Fordyce anyway. 

Telfer leaving would be a strange one and definitely a blow. He had a slow start but I've been quite impressed with him on the whole. He's not really been what I expected, he hasn't offered too much in terms of goals or creativity but he gets about the park more than I expected and has quietly became a solid player for us. I was talking to someone at the Edinburgh game who mentioned Lyness was only signed until January so I suppose if that's the case Telfer could be on a short-term deal too.

Seems there is a pile on on Fordyce this season but still our best central defender to me. I don't see these calamitous mistakes he's made at all.

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Noticed there that after expressing my views about the pretty abysmal communication skills of our current chairman my profile had a visit from noted burner account and board espionage VL @Sarahs Uncle

Hiya pal! 🖕

Give it a wee while and he/she/they will be accusing you of being me!

22 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Give it a wee while and he/she/they will be accusing you of being me!

Haha you will be on the official "agitators" list, which I suspect is probably written in crayon and is currently sitting next to 47 folding tables and a drum kit in the former sensory room.

Edited by cb_diamond

Is ATS the answer to the defensive issue? I really don't know as I haven't really seen enough of him, and one game he played at left back, which was not a success in my opinion. However, I must admit he hasn't done too much wrong in the few appearances he has made, so not necessarily a bad call.

I am also not looking to replace Fordyce, but looking for someone to play alongside him, I don't see why people are so against him, as he does seem to be the most likely player in our defence to get his head to the ball. I think the main issue for me is how often the ball lands on the ground inside our 6-yard box, and I don't think that this is down to any individual, it would appear to be down to organisation. If players get drawn out of position by the opponents that they are marking, then other need to fill in and be in that position to meet the cross.

Generally the two centre backs will have marking responsibilities, and so others need to be given the responsibility to fill in the gaps in the defensive line. I don't think that we have these responsibilities sorted. I am referring here to free kicks and corners where we have the time to organise, not quick breakaways, where there is no time to sort out the defence.

Alex Henderson has signed for Glentoran. He wasn't as bad as the number of goals he conceded made him out to be but we don't need four keepers so no real loss. I panicked when it mentioned Ally Roy but he seems to be moving to a Championship team, fair play to him for pulling that off.

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

I panicked when it mentioned Ally Roy but he seems to be moving to a Championship team, fair play to him for pulling that off.

I will never understand why people keep signing that spineless waste of a jersey.

Edited by cb_diamond

8 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Seems there is a pile on on Fordyce this season but still our best central defender to me. I don't see these calamitous mistakes he's made at all.

He probably still is our best defender, the ability he showed the last three seasons don’t just disappear overnight, but there’s no denying he’s been performing much worse this season. I thought even at the start of the season he looked poor and got away with a few mistakes at Queen of the South and Dunfermline particularly. He has had a few very good performances, he was excellent in the Montrose 4-0 game at home, but more often than not he seems a lot less assured than he was previously. I’m sure it was him who was marking See for Edinburgh’s 4th goal last week and just let him run unchallenged to score too, so there’s one mistake for starters. He has a big role and it is possibly just a bit too much for him. I’d love him to get back to the levels he was at previously and I do think this is a result of trying to be the main defender, captain and assistant all at the same time.

Fordyce is and was a much better player but it reminds me of when Sean Crighton became the only coach at the club and his form just went off a cliff. It all goes back to not having an experienced coach in the dugout to help McCabe and Fordyce and allow them to focus more on playing, rather than having to manage a game at the same time.

What is the reason for the complete lack of engagement with fans from the club? Happy to punt tickets, advertise Club 1924, update us on hospitality sales, sell merchandise but take weeks to inform us of any squad movements. 

I appreciate that a summary statement is put up at the end of the window (usually) but it’s just not a good way to go about business if you have to get all of your information from other clubs. 

46 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Alex Henderson has signed for Glentoran. He wasn't as bad as the number of goals he conceded made him out to be but we don't need four keepers so no real loss. I panicked when it mentioned Ally Roy but he seems to be moving to a Championship team, fair play to him for pulling that off.

Roy’s “championship team” has Accies written all over it I’d imagine. 

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

He’s signed for Morton. Not sure how he’s getting away with playing for a third Championship side when he was our fourth choice striker in League One not long ago.

Right you are. Not been on Twitter this afternoon, I should’ve checked before posting 😂

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Would like to have seen him stay instead of lyness but if they've paid money for him then i can't really argue with that.

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

What is the reason for the complete lack of engagement with fans from the club? Happy to punt tickets, advertise Club 1924, update us on hospitality sales, sell merchandise but take weeks to inform us of any squad movements. 

I appreciate that a summary statement is put up at the end of the window (usually) but it’s just not a good way to go about business if you have to get all of your information from other clubs. 

To be fair the lad only signed with Glentoran a couple of hours ago,  

I would be more concerned about more departures this month anyone heard any Callum Smith rumours..

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

To be fair the lad only signed with Glentoran a couple of hours ago,  

I would be more concerned about more departures this month anyone heard any Callum Smith rumours..

I saw one on the Facebook group about a swap deal involving Callum Smith and Dylan Easton. Can’t see that being true for a few reasons but mostly because it was posted by a regular bullshitter.